Aaron Rodgers new contract

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says new deal will happen soon. Though both sides might be waiting n Matt Ryan to get his deal done first.

If they are waiting on Ryan it IMO shows that Rodgers is wanting to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and does not want to do a deal just to have Ryan beat him right away. So does not sound like any hometown discounts will be coming the Packers way.

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-b...an-gutekunst-says-rodgers-deal-will-come-soon

Matt Ryan gets 5 year deal 30 per year 100 million guaranteed Rodgers bench has been set

Will Rodgers go just north of it or try to get a lot more?

Last edited:
They keep talking about his salary as a % of the teams cap.

If that's the road they want to go down, then give him 17% of the cap. (That would make this year $30.12M)

5 year deal.

Guarantee the first 4 years.

Rodgers then bears the risk of whether or not the cap growth slows, or stagnates, or goes down.........depending on how the next CBA negotiations go.

i don't usually participate in these guessing games, but in this case i think we have some good examples of recent history of how the packers handle contract negotiations with veterans that are past their second contract. i think they will offer him something slightly higher than the veteran minimum and if he balks they'll let him walk when his contract is up.

From what I heard on radio. Matt Ryan's new deal will pay him 94 million over the first 3 years. So figure Rodgers will probably push close to 100 over the first 3. Tons of cash there.

I would let him play out his current contract with 2 years remaining and franchise him twice. By that time he will be 40. Draft a QB earlier on and start grooming him. I would not extend him for huge money now or give him alot guaranteed. He is a top qb, but is fairly beat up with injuries and sticking so much into an aging qb will end up hurting this team both in if he gets hurt or it will make signing others rather difficult.

I would let him play out his current contract with 2 years remaining and franchise him twice. By that time he will be 40. Draft a QB earlier on and start grooming him. I would not extend him for huge money now or give him alot guaranteed. He is a top qb, but is fairly beat up with injuries and sticking so much into an aging qb will end up hurting this team both in if he gets hurt or it will make signing others rather difficult.

Would be 38 as he will be 36 when contract is up and you then franchise him two more year and franchising him would pay him somewhere around 65-70 million over those two years. Might then want to bite the bullet pay him extra 30-35 million have him guaranteed for 3rd year with options to keep him for years 4-5 if you would want.

Not sure holding out and going for the franchise tag really gets you much different result, though you would certainly take somewhat less risk. In a few years, it's likely the franchise tag will have just as much CAP hit (or more) than a new contract will.

As far as his injury situation, I don't really see it as being all that bad. No significant concussion history that I can recall. No elbow or structural shoulder issues. No ACL or significant leg injuries. Nothing neck or back related. The two collar bone breaks are not trivial, but don't really affect his mobility and not likely to have any real impact on his ability to throw the ball. I think he's a reasonable risk at this point. He is going to have to be a little smarter going forward though.

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says new deal will happen soon. Though both sides might be waiting n Matt Ryan to get his deal done first.

If they are waiting on Ryan it IMO shows that Rodgers is wanting to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and does not want to do a deal just to have Ryan beat him right away. So does not sound like any hometown discounts will be coming the Packers way.

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-b...an-gutekunst-says-rodgers-deal-will-come-soon

Can't blame him at all for getting everything he can. Packer haven't given him a good enough roster, especially defense, to challenge for a SB. I say soak em for every last penny.

Back