A look at the rookie free agents on defense

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

Here is a look at the rookie free agents on defense for the Green Bay Packers. The team has yet to announce the players. In each case, players must pass a physical examination before signing a contract.

An unlimited number of rookies also have been invited by the Packers to try out during their three-day rookie minicamp that begins Friday. Those players probably will be competing for a couple berths on the 90-man roster.

PARRIS BENNETT, ILB, Syracuse

Basics: From Detroit (U of D Jesuit High School). Backed up as a true freshman in 2014 before starting from 2015-’17 in a 4-3 defense. Played all three linebacker positions but mostly the strong side and the weak side. Finished with 273 tackles (22 for loss) in 40 games (32 starts) to go with four forced fumbles, two interceptions, two recovered fumbles and two sacks. First Orange defender since LB Keith Bulluck in 1998-’99 to post consecutive 100-plus tackle seasons. According to teams, Syracuse officials categorized him as having failed two drug tests. Also suffered two concussions. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-0, 235, 4.86. Played at 215 pounds as a freshman. Vertical jump of 31 inches, broad jump of 10-0, just 11 reps on the bench press and a score of 25 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. Arms were a long 33 3/8 inches, hands were 10.

Bennett: “My agent had Green Bay at the top of my list where the situation would be ideal for me to go. As soon as they offered a contract we definitely took it.” … “I like to get to the football. I love to hit. I know I’m not the biggest guy so I use my athleticism to my advantage to take the least amount of contact I can from blockers. I try to get to the football, basically.” … “Personally, I feel like I have a good chance. Because I just love playing the game. I make sure I don’t make the same mistake twice, especially any time soon. I feel like as long as I can keep learning in the NFL I should definitely have a long career.” … “I’ve torn both labrums and had surgery in 2016. One in the spring, one in the fall. They’re great. I didn’t play with any straps or anything last season.” … “I loved playing at Syracuse and the guys I played with. We didn’t go to any bowl games. That was unfortunate, but I wouldn’t trade my experience for the world.”

NFC scout: “Undersized guy. Flashes some burst but just not very fast. Tries to be physical. Little stiff in space and misses too many tackles. Kind of like him as a free agent because he is productive. He doesn’t do anything exceptional that you want to draft. He’s got a little bit of baggage. He prefers (playing) ‘will.’”

AFC scout: “He has adequate athletic ability and good playing strength. Outstanding length. Will play out of control. Played over the slot in sub (defenses).”

AFC scout: “He loves ball but isn’t a leader. Not always accountable to be on time. They had to keep tabs on him there.”

RAVEN GREENE, S, James Madison

Basics: From Virginia Beach, Va. (First Colonial H.S.). Started 49 of 58 games at free safety, including five in 2013, two in ’14 and all 42 from 2015-’17. Finished with 292 tackles (five for loss), a school-record 14 interceptions and 258 interception return yards (18.4), 20 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and five recovered fumbles. The Dukes won the FCS championship in 2016 and lost to North Dakota State in the ’17 title game. James Madison posted a 52-15 record during his five seasons. In November 2016, the NCAA awarded Greene a medical hardship making him eligible for 2017. He had suffered a tibial stress fracture in his fourth game of 2014. Expecting to be eligible for the 2017 draft, he worked out at junior pro day in March 2016 on a cold day in Harrisonburg, Va. His time of 4.95 caused more than one team to eliminate him as a prospect. Ran much faster (4.53) at pro day this spring. Age 23.

Measurables: 5-11, 197, 4.53. Vertical jump of 34, broad jump of 9-11, 14 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 24. Arms were 31 1/8, hands were 9 7/8.

Greene: “It was a great couple years. A great program back there at James Madison.” … “My agent called and presented a few places. We talked, and decided on Green Bay because it was the best fit. There’s so much tradition.” … “I try to go out and play my position. I try not to do too much. When the play needs to be made I really try to capitalize. I’m just ready to contribute any way I can. I definitely played more off the hash (deep).” … “I had a glitch because I actually reclassed. That junior year I went out and ran a really bad time at junior day. That knocked me off a couple people’s radar. At that time I was recovering from a back injury, we hadn’t trained for it whatsoever and it was about 15 degrees outside. We shouldn’t have run it. Just two (combine) guys were there. They wrote the time down and shared it with everybody else. Thankfully, I still get my shot.” … “I’m thinking that I just have to come in and be as blue collar as I can. Put my head down and work, and hope there ends up being a spot for me.”

AFC scout: “He’s probably the best one they signed. Good football player. Tough guy. Around the ball. Good tackler. Pretty good in coverage. Undrafted because he’s not a big or fast guy. He had a really slow time from junior day. Seventh round.”

NFC scout: “I don’t have anything. We rejected him.”

AFC scout: “He’s smart and reliable in the back end. Has eyes, short-area quickness and sneaky athletic ability. Aligns from depth, in the box and over the slot.”

AFC scout: “One of the smartest players on the team. Laid-back personality. Leader on defense. He’s coachable, and picks it up quickly.”

NAASHON HUGHES, OLB, Texas

Basics: From Harker Heights, Texas (Harker Heights H.S.). Born in Germany, moved many times as the son of an Army sergeant. Redshirted in 2013. Started seven of 13 games at LB and DE in ’14. Started all 12 games at DE in ’15. Started seven of 12 games at hybrid LB in ’16. Started the first eight games in a 13-game season in ’17. Finished with 34 starts in 50 games. Had 139 tackles (19 ½ for loss), 11 ½ sacks, six passes defensed and two forced fumbles. Best sack season was 2015 (5 ½); had 2 ½ in ’17. Played for three coaches: Mack Brown, Charlie Strong and Jim Herman. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-3 ½, 259, 4.74. Vertical jump of 30 ½, broad jump of 9-4, 23 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 19. Arms were 33 1/8, hands were 10.

Hughes: (at pro day March 28) “I have been training in Chicago with Mike Singletary and his staff. I’ve been out there grinding.” … (on a Big 12 Conference production) “Working hard and doing things the right way is the only way to get anywhere in life.” … “My younger brothers both play sports. They both are extremely athletic. One of them (Chris) plays at Kansas. I just want to be that role model guy they can look up to and say, ‘He’s got his degree and played sports.’ I’ll be the first one in my family to graduate (from college). It’s a role model for my family. If they see that one of them made it then they can make it, too.”

NFC scout: “He looks pretty. He has good size and some straight-line speed. Plays with good effort. Tweener. You question his instincts. Doesn’t have much pass rush. Gets stuck on blocks. You want to like him but there’s just not a lot of flashes. Not big enough to play 4-3 DE. Can’t play stack backer. Needs to play a 3-4. He doesn’t have a lot of juice.”

AFC scout: “He’s a body beautiful guy. He’s a get-off-the-bus-first guy. He’s huge and long and strong. Good line of scrimmage player. OK pass rush. OK athlete.”

AFC scout: “He’s a strong, slower-twitched athlete with marginal foot quickness. He’s able to set the edge and take on blocks with heavy hands.”

C.J. JOHNSON, OLB, East Texas Baptist

Basics: From Fort Worth, Texas (Alvarado H.S.). Redshirted at Tarleton State, an NCAA Division II school. Later, he enrolled at a junior college as a student only. Surfaced at East Texas Baptist, a Division III program in Marshall, Texas. Started all 30 games from 2015-’17 for teams that finished 21-9. Played OLB in ’15, DE generally with his hand down in ’16 and returned to OLB in ’17. Finished with 120 tackles (29 ½ for loss), 17 sacks, 21 hurries and two forced fumbles. No serious injuries. Signing bonus of $5,000. Turned 24 in January.

Measurables: 6-2, 235, 4.78. Posted terrific numbers at North Texas pro day: vertical jump of 38, broad jump of 9-11, 7.07 3-cone and 22 reps on the bench. Arms were 31 ¾, hands were 9.

Johnson: “Most of them (sacks) were coming off the edge. Just going at it with O-linemen, whether it was one on one or a double team. Some other plays I’d loop inside. Just fighting my way to the quarterback. Using my speed to come off the edge and get low, swat or swim. Whatever I have to do to get to the quarterback.” … “I think it (his role) is more outside linebacker and pass rusher. Max weight I’ve ever been is 240. That was before my last season here. I’m sure they might want me up to 240, 245. Where my speed is still good and I’m still explosive and able to move.” … “Jacksonville and Baltimore were also in contact with me as well. I feel like I picked the right (team). The legacy (the Packers) have is amazing. I can’t even find the right words to put it into context to say how I’m feeling. I’m just eager to get to work. Just to prove that DIII is just a label, man. I look forward to being a Green Bay Packer until this is all over with. I’ll give it my all for me and my family.” … “Hard-nosed, high motor. Every play, every down. Just somebody that wants to get better and has a knack for funding the football.” … “I had a full ride to North Texas and Louisiana-Monroe. Not too sure what happened in-between. I never got in any trouble or suspended or anything. It’s just the way my cards were given to me.”

NFC scout: “We like his range, his length. He has some strength. Has some juice, has some speed rush. Disruptive. You like his athletic potential. Motor up and down. Questionable instincts. Struggles in coverage. He has some pass rush. He can convert speed to power. He didn’t run great. He can set the edge a little bit. Strictly an up-the-field rusher. He was a rotational guy for them.”

AFC scout: “I don’t know him.”

TYLER LANCASTER, NT, Northwestern

Basics: From Romeoville, Ill. (Plainfield East H.S.). Redshirted in 2013. Shut down early in the ’14 season because the NU medical staff was worried about two hits in the head area. Diagnosed with sleep apnea. Began using a sleep machine and has been trouble-free since. Started from 2015-’17. Played 2- and 3-technique in 2015-’16 before aligning over the inside shoulder of the guard in ’17. Finished with 101 tackles (18 ½ for loss), 3 ½ sacks, three passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one recovered fumble. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-3 ½, 316, 5.03. At pro day, the 40 wasn’t his only startling number. Vertical jump of 27, broad jump of 9-5, short shuttle of 4.60, 3-cone of 7.46 and 32 reps on the bench. Wonderlic of 33. Arms were 32 7/8, hands a massive 10 ¾.

Lancaster: “I visited (Green Bay), and it was great. It’s a historic program. It’s incredible. I saw the facilities, and they were top-notch. The coaches, they were all inviting. It seemed like a system I could really fit in to.” … “You really have to watch who each team drafts. Me and my agent made tiers of teams based on roster and depth chart and who was going to be drafted as well as how much interest the team showed in me.” … “Definitely the opinion coming in, I believe, would be the run-stuffing nose tackle. The big guy who could take up blocks in the middle. But I think I can show, with a little bit of a change in defensive scheme, that I can be more than that. I think I can be quicker off the ball than I’ve shown and I think I can get a little in the backfield, too, with pass rush. Coming in I’ll definitely be a run stuffer but I think I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeves, too.” … “A lot of teams were looking at me as a center-guard. They know I played center in high school. I was moved to D-tackle once I got to Northwestern.” … “I only met with him (Mike Pettine) for about a minute. I talked to Coach (Jerry) Montgomery. I really appreciated everything he had to say. He coached me up a bit. I can’t wait to be coached by a guy like that.” … “Early in my career it says I had too many concussions and they took me out for a season. I went to get all that stuff tested in Chicago. They said there was nothing wrong with my brain. They said my sleep was horrendous. I actually went to a sleep study and had sleep apnea. That might have been the reason why every time I took a hit I got a little dizzy. Ever since I got the sleep machine there have been no issues. It was a game-changer.” … “I did 37 on the bench last summer. I did 36 at pro day but the Bears (scout) recorded 32. My max squat was 650. I can hip thrust 800. I feel strong in a lot of areas. I’m nothing less than confident in the weight room.”

NFC scout: “Big, powerful dude. Just doesn’t move real well. Can hold the point. He’s a short-area, 3-4 nose. Some teams thought he could be a guard. They worked him out at guard at pro day. Big, tough, strong. Great kid. Like (Dean) Lowry, he might have a chance.”

AFC scout: “He’s the overachiever cliché kind of thing, but then at the pro day he tested really well. Good line-of-scrimmage player. Really solid free-agent signing.”

AFC scout: “Beloved in the building. Mature, intelligent and always positive. Was voted to wear the honorary No. 1 jersey (in 2017).”

NFC scout: “He can occupy space and dominate the line of scrimmage. Two-down run stuffer. Bull rusher who lacks hand quickness in the pass rush.”

FILIPO MOKOFISI, DT, Utah

Basics: From Woods Cross, Utah (Woods Cross H.S.). Redshirted in 2013, made two starts in ’14, seven at RDT in ’15, nine at DT and four at DE in ’16 and 13 total in ’17. Finished with 110 tackles (18 for loss), 10 sacks, one forced fumble and two recovered fumbles. Best statistical season was 2016.

His father, Filipo (6-1, 232), was the Saints’ eighth-round draft choice in 1986 as a LB out of Utah. He finished with 264 tackles and 26 sacks, and in ’84 was the Western Athletic Conference player of the year. He never played in an NFL game. The son’s signing bonus was $3,000. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-3, 283, 5.27. Vertical jump of 27 ½, broad jump of 8-10, 18 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 16. Arms were 32 7/8, hands were a tiny 9.

Mokofisi: (on KALL Radio Salt Lake City in mid-February) “This past season I played at 295 but my freshman year I played at 265. It fluctuated all throughout those years. I’ll probably have to gain a few definitely to play at the next level. The quickness was there for me (at 265) but I was definitely at a disadvantage because I didn’t have the weight to hold double teams. It was even hard at 295. Coming out of high school I was 215, 210. In that one year I gained all that weight to 265.” … “I’ve heard from scouts I’ll probably play more inside. Maybe as a pass-rusher type thing. I’ll definitely try to work on my pass-rushing moves. That’s probably more of my role. As a pass rusher.” … (at pro day) “I tried to drop weight for pro day so I can move faster.”

AFC scout: “OK size. Has some quickness. Better tape than pro day. He can play 3-technique or 1-technique.”

NFC scout: “He’ll probably play defensive end in their (the Packers’) scheme. Motor up and down. Played all over the defensive line. Just not a great athlete. Not a great bender. Flashes leverage but struggles to separate. Heavy-footed. Gets reached. No real redeeming qualities. His dad was a really good player at Utah.”

NFC scout: “He lacks initial quickness but has strength and active hands to apply pressure collapsing the pocket. Poor size and marginal play speed.”

MARCUS PORTER, ILB, Fairmont State

Basics: From Accokeek, Md. (Gwynn Park H.S.). In 2014, as a true freshman, he started at DE weighing 260. When the No. 1 middle linebacker was injured, he took over and started there through 2017. Finished with 336 tackles (29 ½ for loss) and six sacks. Intercepted six passes in 2014-’15. Fairmont State, an NCAA Division II program, recruited Porter out of the suburbs of Washington, D.C. No major injuries. Age 21.

Measurables: 6-0, 230, 4.67. Weighed 214 in April 2017. Vertical jump of 32 ½, broad jump of 9-11, 14 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 21. Arms were 32 1/8, hands were 9 ¼.

Porter: “I was there four years. I started my first game. We played a 4-2-5. It was kind of unique. I was the ‘mike.’ I’d call the plays, make audibles and checks.” … “If it’s a play-action or even a simple misdirection I can read the ball and get there. I read my keys. I redirect well. I’ll be able to change direction. I’ve got great hands. I led the team in picks my freshman and sophomore years so I’ve got good coverage skills. If I don’t end up playing middle linebacker I can play like a rover.” … “I love playing special teams. I played special teams all four years. Even if I do not start or play on the defense then I know I’ll be on special teams.” … “I feel as though I’m going to have a great NFL career. Take what comes to me and I’m going to keep working. I love the game. I have great work ethic. All my coaches and everybody I played with can vouch for me.” … “Redskins, Bears and Panthers. Green Bay was the first team to call me. As soon as Green Bay called me I decided to go to Green Bay.” … “I’ve never been past Tennessee. I’ve never left the East Coast time zone. I’ve been everywhere on the East Coast but I’ve never been out of the time zone.”

AFC scout: “I have never heard of him.”

NFC scout: “We wrote the other guy there, (edge rusher) Quincy Redmon. Not him.”

AFC scout: “He’s an undersized kid who is very smart and instinctive. He was a highly productive ‘mike.’ You’d like a little faster and more athletic for his size. He’ll be hard to cut because he’s a great kid who plays hard and finds the ball.”

NFC scout: “Not much pop at the point of attack. I didn’t see a second gear to range outside. He lacks burst to recover when he slips back-door. Poor stack and shed. Good Division II player but doesn’t have enough size and strength.”

CHRIS SEISAY, CB, Portland State

Basics: From Vallejo, Calif. (American Canyon H.S.). Prep WR-S redshirted at Oregon in 2013. Played extensively as the No. 3 CB in ’14, then started for injured Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the Ducks’ 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl and the Ducks’ 42-20 loss to Ohio State in the FBS national championship game. Started in ’15 but suffered torn ankle ligaments in Game 2 at Michigan State and then rushed back from surgery to play 90-plus snaps in the Alamo Bowl. Finished his Oregon career with 55 tackles, one interception and five passes defensed. Departed Oregon during 2016 fall camp and transferred to Portland State, an FCS school. Eligible immediately, he asked to play WR to recapture his joy of the game back. Started the first two games, catching three passes for 66 yards, before injuries in the secondary necessitated a move back to cornerback. Started seven games there in ’16 and eight more in ’17 for an 0-11 squad. Finished Portland State career with 52 tackles, four interceptions and 13 passes defensed. Missed three games last season with a knee injury. His family immigated from Sierra Leone. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-1, 200, 4.53. Weighed 181 in April 2017. Vertical jump of 37, broad jump of 10-2, just nine reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 16. Arms were 32 1/8, hands were a tiny 8 ¾.

Seisay: “I really believe in my ability. I thought I would get drafted. I was thinking it’d be the Cardinals and the Raiders. Green Bay’s one of the most prestigious organizations of all time in the NFL. They have a real young secondary. I just feel they’re trying to start something new and great over there. I just wanted to be a part of that.” … “I’m kind of an all-around corner. I’m finesse but I can also be strong at the line of scrimmage. I’m a ballhawk. I was a receiver at heart growing up. When the ball’s in the air I feel like it should be mine.” … “We played press man almost every play (at Portland State). I’m used to trying to take my receiver out of the game and make plays on the ball coming in my direction.” … “It’s hard to keep going once it’s just loss after loss after loss. I’d never been in a situation like that. All I could do was continue to motivate my teammates and do the best I could to stay consistent.” … “I feel like football is something I was meant to do. I know it’s a business at the end of the day. But I want to be known as that guy that performs based on my love for the game and love of camaraderie and just being part of something great.”

NFC scout: “Like his length. Good tester, although he only had nine reps (on the bench). He doesn’t play real fast. Not real strong. Kind of a long strider. Plays with high pads. You just don’t see the twitch or the transition skills to mirror. Little better in the run game but not a killer. Camp body.”

AFC scout: “Good height, average thickness. Moves around pretty well. Good ball skills. Good athlete.”

AFC scout: “Has swagger to him.”

AFC scout: “Outstanding size and length for the position with adequate athleticism and play speed. He’s at his best when he gets his hands on you early. Adequate ball reaction and ball skills. Marginal tackler.”

The post A look at the rookie free agents on defense appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

Back