A Key at Running Back: Enough Carries to Go Around?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usatsi_13366125.jpg

With bruising AJ Dillon joining the fourth-year tandem of electric Aaron Jones and do-it-all Jamaal Williams, the Packers have a potential three-headed monster.

Continue reading...

It appears that the NFL has defined the RB position as three players. It's at least a "fad." It will change again in a few years, and we'll be back to the "work horse," to clear one roster spot to fill another need.

IMO, one thing to watch is the progress towards an extension for Jones.
If Dillon is the real deal and Jones is asking for the moon in a new contract, I won’t be shocked if they trade Jones before the in season deadline rather than just let him walk in free agency.
Dexter Williams doesn’t thrill me if he becomes the third back. But I like “Swerve” Ervin and they have Crockett and UDFA Taylor (who I really like).
If it comes down Jones leaving, I think they have some options.

IMO, one thing to watch is the progress towards an extension for Jones.
If Dillon is the real deal and Jones is asking for the moon in a new contract, I won’t be shocked if they trade Jones before the in season deadline rather than just let him walk in free agency.
Dexter Williams doesn’t thrill me if he becomes the third back. But I like “Swerve” Ervin and they have Crockett and UDFA Taylor (who I really like).
If it comes down Jones leaving, I think they have some options.
Dexter Williams won't even make the team he has been worthless and should have been cut long ago. Don't think you trade Jones unless the season is going south and you are like a 2 or 3 win team at the trade deadline. Jones I think though will be allowed to walk at the end of the season because with all the other FA's this team has an limited cap space I can't see them paying Jones 10+ million a year.

I really don't like any of GB backs for this system, another cluster in the draft was not getting a pure outside zone runner.

Both Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon need a pitch count. Jones is undersized and Dillon was overused in college. Thunder and lightning baby! thumbsup hgh) tc(

Also wonder how much will Josiah Deguara see in the backfield. He seems the leader in the clubhouse to fill in as the FB role. Will ML use him more then Vitale or will he just end up mostly a ST player and blocker in the backfield?

Back