a focused film study on our new backup qb (2024 preseason)

Malik Willis was a Roswell HS product, made his $ in spread option with his feet. His last yr at Liberty with a stacked team and a solid combine got him drafted.

Guys that were DC vs him tried to make him throw...he'll throw picks or make mistakes as a passer. He's another in the line of dudes if you stick him enough times he'll get rattled.

While I only saw him in a passing clinic as a sophomore some of the QB's I have had the privilege of coaching against is DeShaun Watson when he was in Gainesville, Trever Lawrence (Cartersville) twice in the playoffs beat him once and killed us in the rematch, Taylor Heinicke (Collins Hill) non region game ( smoked him), Conner Shaw (Flowery Branch) we beat him 3 times. Also right at the end of my coaching days we played vs Oconee County's Zach Mettenberger who played for a few teams. A couple of others.

That being said Willis is a project, I personally am not a fan of making him number 2. At 3 solid vets on waivers, we could have aquired that were light years better than Malik.

Malik Willis was a Roswell HS product, made his $ in spread option with his feet. His last yr at Liberty with a stacked team and a solid combine got him drafted.

Guys that were DC vs him tried to make him throw...he'll throw picks or make mistakes as a passer. He's another in the line of dudes if you stick him enough times he'll get rattled.

While I only saw him in a passing clinic as a sophomore some of the QB's I have had the privilege of coaching against is DeShaun Watson when he was in Gainesville, Trever Lawrence (Cartersville) twice in the playoffs beat him once and killed us in the rematch, Taylor Heinicke (Collins Hill) non region game ( smoked him), Conner Shaw (Flowery Branch) we beat him 3 times. Also right at the end of my coaching days we played vs Oconee County's Zach Mettenberger who played for a few teams. A couple of others.

That being said Willis is a project, I personally am not a fan of making him number 2. At 3 solid vets on waivers, we could have aquired that were light years better than Malik.
Thanks Mark! I had a hunch you'd seen enough of him to know what he brings to the table.

Willis listed as having 4.42 speed according to some reports, but I highly doubt it's accurate. He just doesn't look that quick in early acceleration. I think he's more in the 4.6 range, and would be a target for any reasonably quick defender, including a few D-linemen, and most linebackers.

His stats at Liberty don't mean much to me. Competition level is what concerns me. I think they were looking for someone they might be able to build into a second threat on the roster, but I don't believe he's the guy to be honest.

But, I don't know enough about him to make that judgement, and as I said, I'll take Mark's evaluation, because he said what he saw of him, and wasn't impressed. That's enough for me.

Willis listed as having 4.42 speed according to some reports, but I highly doubt it's accurate.
i don't know. i saw some video where he looked much faster than 4.6. but i am less of an expert than you.

• Haha
Reactions: TW
I watched Willis play in college twice, 100% spread option guy that will take off, happy feet. Didn't GB try this before with the dude behind Rodgers? Hundley? I think Willis is a poor mans Hundley
Deshone Kizer too

i don't know. i saw some video where he looked much faster than 4.6. but i am less of an expert than you.
He could be quicker than I perceive . He just didn't look like it to me.

Back