57packer 1st mock

57packer

Reaction score
Might be the only one, but thought I'd start prepping a little more for the draft and reading up on some players this weekend. Still not familiar with a broad range of players but here's an off-season and mock based on what I know so far. (Used GBN and Walter's for rankings.)

Remaining off-season moves:
Re-sign: Eddie Lacy (Yup, it's a risk, but it seems like he won't be real expensive.)
Sign: Connor Barwin (Needs a 3-4 team to be at his best, and TT loves those released guys that preserve his precious comp. picks.)

Draft:
Rd1: Malik McDowell, DE/DT, 6'5", 285# Ton of talent, but some concerns about his motor and character make him available. Too good to pass up and I suspect the CB group will be a little picked over.

Rd2: Fabian Moreau, CB, 6'0", 206# I think Dubz mocked him here and he fits. Decent size, and great speed. He might go earlier than this but it probably depends on who is ranking them. If he's not here, there are a number of choices that fit like Awuzie, Wilson, Conley or Witherspoon.

Rd3: Anthony Walker, ILB, 6'1", 240#. High motor, high character player who can run. Can stop the run and has some coverage skills. Was better in 2015 before he gained extra weight. Might need to lose 5-10lbs to be at his best.

Rd4: Jess Dunker, OG, 6'4", 318#. Small school guy who looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl. Need some quality depth at OG for the future.

Rd5: Shaquill Griffin, CB, 6'0", 194#. Has been rising up some draft boards with a good performance at the combine. Needs more development, but has the physical tools. This might be too late for him, but it's an awfully deep CB group, so someone will fall.

Rd5: Eric Saubert, TE, 6'5", 243#. Another small school guy who tested well. Looked good at the Senior Bowl and ran good routes. A good prospect to develop behind Bennett and Kendricks.

Rd6: Elijah McGuire, RB, 5'10", 214#. A RB who had a bit of a drop-off in 2016 after a better 2015. Supposedly had a foot injury in 2016 that decreased his production. Has some speed and pass catching ability.

Rd7: Darius English, DE/OLB, 6'5", 237#, A little undersized and thin for the NFL, but has good length and some speed and explosiveness. A work in progress.

Nice job. I have a little bias with the first pick. McDowell gives me the 'Worthy' hangover. Michigan St players scare me. I really hope someone else takes him so we're not tempted. I like Moreau, but I like Conley more followed by Awuzie. But if we skip CB in the first round then one of these three would make me happy. Really like the next three picks and think those positions are right on. Really like the flier on English, those are the risks TT needs to take, reminds me of Hubbard a few years ago.

Agree on McDowell. The character and motor issues are a big concern. Supposedly he also did not interview real well at the combine, but I never know what to make of that. Sometimes it's just BS being circulated. I only took him to throw some possibilities out there. When I look at various mocks and big boards some have him going earlier and some later. There are a variety of options and all have some issues.
- Tabor is seeming to slide but his slow 40 worries me. We already lack speed in the secondary.
- Charles Harris is in about that spot, but I worry about his lack of length and elite athletic ability for OLB.
- TJ Watt is showing up there in some mocks. He's more of an ideal fit, but I worry about 1 year starters.
- Reddick is Harris v2.0.
There are lots of possibilities, but none are exactly ideal.

Back