53 man roster prediction

57packer

Reaction score
Since I doubt any jobs will actually be earned tonight other than with an injury, here's my thoughts on the guys who make the roster. There are a couple of curves that Gute could throw in here.

They might get conservative and keep BakhT on PUP. That might open a spot for Van Lanen who I think they'd like to get on the PS. I think the only reason Nijman makes it is as insurance for now as he might go when Sternberger comes back from suspension. (Heck, maybe they part ways with Kelly to save some CAP space.) There's really no point in going more than 6 deep at WR since I think they can sneak one or two of them onto the PS. I think Benkert and a RB will end up on the PS unless they panic and put Benkert on the 53 which means an OL needs to go.

I think Lancaster loses out to the younger and slightly cheaper Heflin. ILB seems set with Martin getting cut unless they really want to keep Wilborn who I think they can get to the PS. The other twist here could be that Gute picks up an OLB after teams make cuts. They only have 4 guys worthy of a roster spot and with Ramsey out of the picture they may decide to pick up someone from another team. Safety seems pretty set to me with Redmond gone and Uphoff playing well on special teams. I have them keeping 6 CBs for now but one of them could be gone if they find another OLB after cuts come down (or they could cut an OL).

QB
Rodgers
Love

RB
Jones
Dillon
Hill

TE
Deguara
Lewis
Tonyan
Dafney

OL
Jenkins
Runyan
Myers
Patrick
Turner
Bakhtiari
Newman
Braden
Kelly
Nijman

WR
Adams
Cobb
Rodgers
MVS
Lazard
Taylor

DL
Slayton
Clark
Keke
Lowrey
Heflin

OLB
Gary
Psmith
Zsmith
Garvin

ILB
Campbell
Barnes
Summers
Burks
McDuffie

S
Savage
Amos
Black
Uphoff
Scott

CB
Alexander
King
Stokes
Sullivan
Jean-Charles
Ento

SPEC
Scott
Crosby
Bradley

Nothing about today's game changed my mind about anyone.

Guys who solidified their spots for me were Taylor, McDuffie and Heflin. Maybe a couple of others. One guy who I thought might be a PS guy was Van Lanen, but he was so bad today I'm not sure I'd bother to bring him back. He got "turnstiled" on a handful of occasions. Also thought the CB group looked a little soft and disinterested.

Tuesday is a day when you will cut some 35ish players but would not be shocked if GB makes a few waiver claims on guys who will provide better depth then guys who will survive the 53 cut down.

You know, all this talk about how remarkable Adam Stenavich has been as an OL coach …… I’m not getting positive vibes from how poorly his OL has played this pre-season.
I “get it”, that we haven’t seen, or have had limited viewing, of 3 of the regular starters at all (Bak, Jenkins, Turner), but they’ve played their new starting Center A LOT and 4 others (Patrick, Runyan, Newsome, and Braden) one of which will be a starter when Bak comes back, otherwise two of those four will start Week 1.
I just feel the interior OL play has been substandard, and maybe some of that is due to playing very vanilla and trying not to show much in pre-season, but maybe some is the coach not getting it to sink in to these guys. I just feel like …….. C’mon man!

You know, all this talk about how remarkable Adam Stenavich has been as an OL coach …… I’m not getting positive vibes from how poorly his OL has played this pre-season.
I “get it”, that we haven’t seen, or have had limited viewing, of 3 of the regular starters at all (Bak, Jenkins, Turner), but they’ve played their new starting Center A LOT and 4 others (Patrick, Runyan, Newsome, and Braden) one of which will be a starter when Bak comes back, otherwise two of those four will start Week 1.
I just feel the interior OL play has been substandard, and maybe some of that is due to playing very vanilla and trying not to show much in pre-season, but maybe some is the coach not getting it to sink in to these guys. I just feel like …….. C’mon man!
Well I will say only so much you can do when you give a guy dog crap to work with. Outside of Myers and Jenkins all we do is draft day 3 players on the OL you can't expect to get starting OL or even quality depth all the time day 3.

Well I will say only so much you can do when you give a guy dog crap to work with. Outside of Myers and Jenkins all we do is draft day 3 players on the OL you can't expect to get starting OL or even quality depth all the time day 3.
Not always true.
Packers have made a habit of finding starters, and all-pro’s, on Day 3.
Bakhtiari, Sitton, Lang, Linsley all come to mind.
Now Newsome looks like he could be as well.

What I’m confounded by is that Patrick played well last year as a starter for over 900 snaps, and Runyan played well in his limited snaps. For some reason they aren’t playing at that level now.

Is that the player or the coach?

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - Jones, Dillon, Hill
TE - Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney
WR - Adams, Marques-Scantling, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Taylor
OL - Myers, Bakhtiari, Turner, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Braden, Newman, Kelly

Defense
DL - Clark, Heflin, Keke, Slaton, Lowry, Lancaster
ILB - Barnes, Burks, Campbell, Summers, Wilborn
OLB - Smith, Smith, Gary, Garvin, Galeai
CB - Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Yiadom, Jean-Charles
S - Amos, Savage, Scott, Black, Gaines

Special Teams - 3

K - Crosby
P - Scott
LS - Bradley

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - Jones, Dillon, Hill
TE - Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney
WR - Adams, Marques-Scantling, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Taylor
OL - Myers, Bakhtiari, Turner, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Braden, Newman, Kelly

Defense
DL - Clark, Heflin, Keke, Slaton, Lowry, Lancaster
ILB - Barnes, Burks, Campbell, Summers, Wilborn
OLB - Smith, Smith, Gary, Garvin, Galeai
CB - Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Yiadom, Jean-Charles
S - Amos, Savage, Scott, Black, Gaines

Special Teams - 3

K - Crosby
P - Scott
LS - Bradley
No McDuffie?

I'm giving Stenavich a break because I think the way they run camp and pre-season games doesn't make life easy for an o-line coach. It seems like in the past you'd see the #1 line go for a series or two, then the #2 line would play, then typically there was even a #3 group. They played more as "units". Now you've got all this mix and match stuff going on where there's no cohesiveness to these line groups.

With the way Newman is playing I like our chances of having a decent o-line. Once BakhT comes back I think this will be a solid unit and the interior will be OK with Jenkins back at LG.

Back