2024 Draft Thread

Now, someone who is hot on getting one of the top two or three QBs might be willing to throw a lot in your direction to get your pick, if it's high enough, or even at draft time. That's usually the golden goose. QBs.

You could belly up to the bar for a lot of quality choices over the present year, and the next year as well, and could even use that new found wealth of picks for the following year, to bolster your team this year, through trades, to fill additional needs.

There are so many things you can do with value picks. That is, if you know what to do with them.

You should get more points than what you give up.
i don't think i have ever seen gute get more points than he gave up. and the excuse has always been that those charts just aren't very accurate. nothing is ever gute's fault.

Lets say GB gets pick #2 or #3. Marvin Harrison Jr is there. Do you:

1. Take Harrison Jr.
2. Take the top OT
3. Trade down to get more picks

I'd look first to a small trade down if a team needs a QB. Maybe something like going from #3 to #6 and getting #38 and #102 back in addition. That lets me still get one of the top-2 OT's at #6 and that extra high 2nd rounder will give you #35, #38, and #49 (from Jets). Those 3 picks can get you help at S, RB, and WR.

If I can't work a trade, I'm taking Harrison Jr. He's just that much better than anyone you'll get in Rd2. I'm going that direction because I think there will still be a solid OT early in Rd2 and right now the WRs on the roster are just so "meh" that you need to add a top-end talent.

Lets say GB gets pick #2 or #3. Marvin Harrison Jr is there. Do you:

1. Take Harrison Jr.
2. Take the top OT
3. Trade down to get more picks
Option 1 or 2. The draft is awful for QB so not sure what kind of trades are realistic. And besides this team is so bereft of talent that you can’t afford to pass on both those top guys.

However Gutey has shown he’d rather build an offense through the bargain bin in the back of a the store so who knows..

I'd take the OT. I kinda see this as the whole Jamar Chase/Penei Sewell conversation. I think I'd rather have the OT which gives the QB time to throw to anyone over the WR who the QB can't throw to because he's getting pummeled and has happy feet.

Picking 2 or 3? I'd trade the pick if I could get on in the top 15, along with a wealth of other earlier grabs. We need to fill a lot of holes for the future, not just one.

To me it's a though choice do you take the possible playmaker in Harrison, a solid OT to help the pass/running game, or skip both trade down to get quantity over quality with picks.

To me it's a though choice do you take the possible playmaker in Harrison, a solid OT to help the pass/running game, or skip both trade down to get quantity over quality with picks.
The rebuild starts now. Get those key pieces you can, especially a good LT if he’s there, and then next year you can maybe go quantity. This year get the best quality you can. The roster is so bad it isn’t getting fixed with quantity this year anyway..

The draft is awful for QB so not sure what kind of trades are realistic

I agree about this being a meh group of QB's, but since when has that stopped teams from picking these guys in the top-5, and even trading to get them.

Over the last 7 years these are guys taken top 5 and some of them were via trade ups - Mitch Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, and Anthony Richardson. All of them had plenty of warts and questions surrounding them. The only guys who seemed like "can't miss" talents were Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. As long as there are desperate (foolish?) front offices there will always be mediocre QB talent traded for and/or taken early in the draft. Not saying it will work for the Packers this year but I'd say if they have the #2 or #3 pick there's a decent chance they find suitors.

The rebuild starts now. Get those key pieces you can, especially a good LT if he’s there, and then next year you can maybe go quantity. This year get the best quality you can. The roster is so bad it isn’t getting fixed with quantity this year anyway..
The rebuild started the day they decided to eat all of Rodgers dead money in one year. I like getting a stud OT high because (I know i’m the delusional one here) but if they do bring Bakhtiari back then you suddenly have stud tackles, move Tom inside with Jenkins and suddenly you only have one interior hole to fill. And if DB doesn’t work out, then you still have one stud tackle, another capable one inside and you figure out inside. There’s no downside IMO.

Back