Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 10:15 AM CDT

General:
  • Full pads today.
Not Practicing: RB Aaron Jones (Hamstring tightness)
Injuries: Matt LaFleur (Achilles-pretty serious), K Mason Crosby (Calf-not serious-NFI), CB Josh Jackson (Foot-not serious-NFI), LB Kendall Donnerson (Hamstring), DL Fadol Brown (Calf), RB Jamaal Williams(Hamstring), OL Jason Spriggs (Trapezius), CB Javien Hamilton (Hamstring), LB Greg Roberts (PUP)

Offense:
  • It was just drill work and it's just training camp, but Dexter Williams fumbled a pitch from Aaron Rodgers on his very first rep.
  • Davante Adams beats Jaire Alexander on 1v1 red zone drill. Check the media section for a video.
  • Rodgers dropped a nice over the shoulder to Allison during 1v1 red zone.
  • Darrius Shepherd is shifty. Won with an outside in route and now cuts to catch another RZ TD after being lined up against Alexander. Check media for a video.
  • G-Mo diving catch on Fade vs. Jamerson 1v1.
  • Rodgers quick slant to Kumerow vs. Hollman 1v1.
  • D Williams at RB with Jones and J Williams out during full speed team drills.
  • First pass call in team, offense tries to get MVS deep but secondary is all over it. No outlet for Rodgers because of good coverage in the flat by Burks. QB has to tuck it and run.
  • Elgton Jenkins again at center with No 2s.
  • Kizer hits Moore on cross.
  • First skirmish of camp as Tra Carson runs through Tony Brown and knocks him on his ass and leads to shoves between Carson and Josh Jones. Jones apparently kept going a bit after the whistle too. Carson wasn’t taking anything from Jones. David Bakhtiari runs downfield and shoves Josh Jones after the play to stick up for his RB. Jones currently with shoulder pads off on the sideline. Time out?---LaFleur is not happy with Jones, it looks like Jones is out for the rest of today. He's in pads on the sideline at the line of scrimmage looking huffy, apparently.
  • Cole Madison continues to impress in 1v1s.
  • Elgton Jenkins wins his 1v1 as well.
  • Nice job staying alive for his QB by EQ. Rodgers finds him after everything was covered initially.
  • Flags nearly every play. Sloppy as hell. Again.
  • Busted play, Rodgers ticked and tosses the ball in what I can only assume is disgust.
  • Aaron Rodgers pulled Dexter Williams aside after that team period and LaFleur joined in as well. A lot being thrown at the rookie RB today in his increased workload with Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams out.
  • Rodgers sends D. Williams out wide right for a five wide look. Hits Jimmy Graham on a quick out to beat the blitz.
  • Rodgers sends Vitale out wide left. Another spread look. This time hits Graham up the seam for a first down.
  • Fantastic jump ball catch from Geronimo on a perfect rainbow throw from Rodgers. Climbed Tony Brown down the left sideline and reached around his head for the grab while Brown faceguarded him. Packers working on dealing with pressure from empty looks.
  • Packers have rotated Justin McCray and Lucas Patrick as first-team center, just to spell Corey Linsley. Today, it’s Patrick. That’s a possible pathway to the roster. Alex Light also getting first-team reps at RT to spell Bryan Bulaga. Light has spelled David Bakhtiari too.
  • 2 Min Drill. First play...a fullback screen to Vitale. Kid is everywhere.
  • Rashan Gary just tried beating Bryan Bulaga on the outside during two-minute drill. Rookie ended up sitting on the turf.
  • Nice job by D Williams working back across formation to pick up a blitz. Goes for naught as Rodgers throws behind Adams on a deep In.
  • Aaron Rodgers is barking a lot during the 1st team two minute drill. Lots of guys getting an ear full including the ref.
  • Rodgers hits MVS deep for a TD in 2 min drill. Alexander had good coverage, just a great adjustment by MVS. Been waiting on one of those. Offense goes nuts... Not a great day for the offense but a great drive capped with a 34 yard TD to win 2 min drill.
  • Vitale was RB and KaDar Holman was dime at start of series. Aaron Rodgers was 6-for-8 for 70 yards on the drive. Davante Adams caught two passes, both for first down, including a 6 yarder on 3rd & 3 one play before the touchdown.
  • DeShone Kizer with two brutal deep balls to end his two-minute drill. One caught by Packers staffer 5 yards beyond right sideline and the other landed nowhere near a receiver. Kizer tapped his chest and took fault.
  • Ficken good from 48 to end 3rd Team two minute. Boyle hit Moore twice early in the series.
Defense:
  • Savage is in pads everybody! Start the hype train!
  • Packers CB Josh Jackson (foot) still sidelined and yet to practice in camp. I did see him doing sprints and DB footwork drills in adjacent fieldhouse yesterday, though.
  • In walkthrough, Savage went right back to his spot as deep safety aside Adrian Amos. Raven Greene, who’d been in Savage’s spot, dropped into box as hybrid LB. Josh Jones, who has been hybrid safety, now on sideline.
  • Ty Summers just obliterated Dexter Williams in a pass pro drill. Mercy.
  • Greene, not Savage, with Amos at safety in first full speed team drills. Easing Savage back in.
  • Kenny Clark just peeled off from his rush to cover Dexter Williams in the flat.
  • Montravius Adams has generated a lot of headlines lately, but he still ends up on the ground way too much so far early in camp.
  • Gary and Clark apparently won their 1v1s today. Still waiting to find out against whom.
  • OLB ZaDarius Smith continues to dominate in 1v1 pass rush drills. Won all three of his rushes.
  • Raven Greene comes free on a blitz and would have lit Rodgers up if he didn’t have a red jersey. This after a play that saw three defenders collapse in on Rodgers. Defense taking it to the offense again.
  • Ka’Dar Hollman continues to impress. Keeps showing signs of being a really good man corner.
Special Teams:
  • Justin McCray taking a few kick return reps prior to practice...
  • I counted at least four fumbles on the special teams punting drill.
  • Ficken good from 48 yards to end 3rd team 2 min drill.
Media:
Darnell Savage in Pads. Hallelujah!
Dexter Williams leading RB drills with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams out.
Davante Adams wins 1v1 red zone drill vs Jaire Alexander. Video.
Shepherd beats Alexander 1v1 red zone. Video.

Practice has ended at: 12:34 PM CDT 2 hrs 19 min
Next event is: Training Camp Tomorrow (8/1) at 10:15 AM CDT
Press Conference Notes:
  • Matt LaFleur on Josh Jones sitting out rest of practice after scuffle: “I told him to get out at that particular moment. That’s not what we want to be about.”
  • LaFleur on rookie CB Ka'dar Hollman: "Ka'dar's done a nice job. He challenges our WRs every day. He's not afraid to get up there and bump 'em. I'm excited about him."
  • Re: King sitting out of team, LaFleur says the Packers being mindful of reps on guys. Hollman looked good, challenging receivers in camp.
  • LaFleur said it was "precautionary" for RB Aaron Jones to sit out practice.
  • Defense thought MVS got away with an OPI vs Jaire Alexander on 2-minute TD. "There was definitely some bumping. I thought it went both ways." LaFleur says he’ll check the tape after practice. Something he’ll be able to do in the middle of a game this fall.
  • LaFleur on Savage returning: “We’re not going to throw him back in there, we’re going to incrementally bring him back. He’ll be in walkthroughs later”
  • LaFleur on TE Big Bob Tonyan: He gets better each and every day. Not only in the pass game but the run game. He's a valuable piece. Excited to see him in the preseason.

After a week I think the theme with the new offense seems to be that there are individual players who are making plays, but the overall offensive scheme cohesion is not even close right now. That's not at all unexpected but it is the current reality at the moment, and it seems a little frustration is already starting to pop up. Hope that channel it right.

Hollman is interesting. I am excited to see this kid in preseason. Maybe we got lucky and hit gold.

Tonyan has been interesting as well. Maybe he has taken that jump. That would be huge for the O if he has.

I also like that Jenkins is being put at Center. That might be his more natural position but we finally have a true Center back up to Linsley.

Lastly, I hope Mont Adams is all the hype he is getting. That would hurt this D if he does not take that step.

Lastly, I hope Mont Adams is all the hype he is getting. That would hurt this D if he does not take that step.

Is it even hype? Pettine basically said he went from being an overweight sloth that he wanted to cut to a guy that plays and behaves like a professional football player.

I question if Jones is trying to do stuff to get himself cut

Although he wasn’t mentioned today, another fringe player to keep an eye on is Kabion Ento.
He is converting from WR to CB and has been making plays on a pretty regular basis.
It would be a shocker if he made the 53. But I get the feeling a year of developing on the PS could really put him in position for 2020.

Back