Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 10:15 AM
General:
  • Full pads today.
  • Happy Birthday to Darnell Savage Jr. (22) and Lucas Patrick (26).
Not Practicing: S Darnell Savage (Wisdom Tooth Recovery-NFI)
Injuries: Matt LaFleur (Achilles-pretty serious), K Mason Crosby (Calf-not serious-NFI), CB Josh Jackson (Foot-not serious-NFI), LB Kendall Donnerson (Hamstring), DL Fadol Brown (Calf), RB Jamaal Williams(Hamstring), OL Jason Spriggs (Trapezius), LB Greg Roberts (PUP)

Offense:
  • Aaron Jones is spending time catching passes from WR coach Alvis Whitted. Next to him? Marquez Valdes-Scantling & Davante Adams.
  • Elgton Jenkins at Center with the twos.
  • Sweet throw from Kizer on an over route to Moore off play action in team work. Coverage was good, just great placement. Nice catch and run from Moore.
  • First turnover of the day. Ento picks off Wilkins on an airmailed deep comeback intended for Lazard.
  • Madison at center just had a horrible shotgun snap.
  • A couple of solid runs from Jones, Carson and Grant.
  • Nice play action pass from Boyle to Trevor Davis, good timing on comeback route and pass where only Davis could catch it. Kevin King all over him.
  • Davante Adams got Jaire Alexander all turned around on that rep. Catch Adams.
  • Davante Adams and MVS with some straight snags from Rodgers
  • Elgton Jenkins looked good at center. I had him down for three Ws.
  • PA rollout and Rodgers leads MVS just a little too far. Had his man beat.
  • Vitale getting rep as the third down back next to Rodgers
  • Nice play by Robert Tonyan, again repping with the 1s, beating Kevin King on a crossing route over the middle and catching a pass from Aaron Rodgers.
  • Kizer drops in a TD to Hall after motioning out. Coverage bust. Tony Brown yelling that someone needs to line up on the back who’s been split wide in red zone. Pettine is not happy.
  • Then Kizer finds EQ St Brown on the opposite side in the back of the end zone.
  • AR finds MVS across the middle. Tight coverage from Jaire.
  • Nice job coming back to the ball by J’Mon Moore on a deep dig vs pressure. Rodgers had to trust the WR would read it like he did, and Moore delivered.
  • Jimmy Graham was talking with the trainers and then headed inside. Looked to be talking with the staff about a lower leg issue. Back on the field already. Hopefully it's nothing.
  • Jamaal Williams getting some JUGS work during a special teams period.
Defense:
  • Josh Jones got first-team rep as hybrid LB in 3-safety nickel.
  • Rookie ILB Ty Summers just made his best play of camp, blowing up a run with a TFL with fellow rookie Curtis Bolton
  • Aaron Rodgers goes deep to.... Kevin King. INT.
  • Kenny Clark giving Lane Taylor the business in 1v1s
  • Bakhtiari v Za’Darius, 1v1. Za’Darius Smith just blew by David Bakhtiari with an inside move. Bakhtiari had a false start the snap prior. Smith winning today after Bak won the other day. Z beat Bakh on the second rep too. Bakhtiari didn’t even touch Z Smith on second rep. You do not see that happen to Bakhtiari in one-on-ones ever.
  • This was about Gary beating Bakhtiari, but obviously the reporter mistook Z. Smith and Gary. The tweet has since been deleted. To be crystal clear: Z. Smith beat Bakh twice and Gary didn't even face Bakh in 1v1s today.
  • Keke took Ws against Pankey, Light and McCray
  • Fackrell with a pair of wins.
  • Oren Burks blows by a blocking attempt by Jimmy Graham. Would have absolutely wrecked a toss play to Jones.
  • Coverage sack from the defense
  • Haven't seen this since the start of camp. Josh Jones back with Adrian Amos as deep safety, Raven Greene in the box as hybrid LB. Jones and Greene have been flipped.
  • A blitzing Amos chases down Jones in the backfield
  • Hollman continues to get reps with the first string defense.
  • A lot of good coverage from the secondary so far. Either forcing a check down, a would be sack or the passes that are completed are not gimmes.
  • Kevin King locks up Geronimo on a deep corner route.
  • Josh Jackson (foot) and Mason Crosby (calf) have been jogging around a little bit today. Good sign.
  • AR finds Adams who beat Jaire but Jaire forces the fumble. Blake Martinez recovers. Matt LaFleur pulled the No. 1 offense after one play in the final team period because of this turnover.
Special Teams:
  • Trevor Davis lining up with 1s on kick coverage.
  • First kickoff coverage: Davis, Brown, Tonyan, Shepherd, Crawford, Burks, Kumerow, Fackrell, Greene, Jones. Ficken at kicker with Crosby out.
  • Speedy Darrius Shepherd on one kickoff coverage.
  • Ficken goes 3/4 maxing out at 50 yards. Total 8/11 in camp. 33: Good | 39: Good | 45: WR | 50: Good
Media:
Practice has ended at: 12:05 PM 1 hrs 50 min
Next event is: Training Camp Tomorrow (7/31) at 10:15 AM
Press Conference Notes:
  • Gutekunst on safety Josh Jones: “I think Josh has had a really good beginning to camp...There are some positive signs that he can really help our football team.”
  • The Packers won’t have live tackling during training camp, as stated previously by Matt LaFleur. GM Brian Gutekunst: “There’s maybe sometimes where there’s opportunistic times to do it, but getting into September healthy is our main priority.”
  • GM Brian Gutekunst says how much, if at all, Aaron Rodgers and the No. 1 offense plays in the preseason will be Matt LaFleur’s call but there are daily discussions on the matter.
  • Matt LaFleur said if you turn the ball over in a game, you’re off the field, so that’s what happened.
  • Matt LaFleur: “We gotta operate with more urgency in and out of the huddle. I don’t wanna have to condition these guys after practice. The conditioning should be in practice.”
  • Matt LaFleur clearly wasn't happy with the quality of the practice today. Effort, hustling between drills/reps, communication, pre-snap penalties
  • Matt LaFleur: “Do I sound salty?”
  • Depending on how the team’s joint practice goes with the Texans next Monday & Tuesday, Matt LaFleur said he may be able to rest Aaron Rodgers it all goes well.

ADD IN~
@ByRyanWood
· 2h
Matt LaFleur pulled starting offense after one rep in final team drill after Jaire Alexander “made a great play” to strip Davante Adams. Blake Martinez recovered the fumble: “Gotta take care of the football. That’s what happens in a game.” Don’t take care of the ball, you’re off.

Thanks for the info. Mark. I'm not able to get the live updates, so I enjoyed this write-up.

I found ML's press conference interesting. To me he gives off an easy going persona. I like the idea that he was getting 'salty' with the players.

Z-Smith may be on the cusp of becoming a dominant player!

Hoping he makes people forget about not getting Mack last year.

Back