2016 Sleeper Prospects

Defensewins

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for Sleeper/under the radar picks :

Traditionally these are players from lower profile FBS, FCS and DII football programs, but there may even be guys who were the third best WR, LB, DB on a traditional power, such as a Trey DePriest from Alabama.

Who do you like, or who have you been studying as a longer-shot prospect?
Here are a few that intrigue me.

Diondre Hall/DB/Northern Iowa: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...all?id=2555366
He is listed as a safety, but if you watch film of him, he seems like he can cover and has ball skills as well. Might be another Ladarius Gunter type, but I think this guy will get drafted on the third day.

Michael Jordan/DB/Missouri Western: http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/...michael-jordan

Who doesn't want Michael Jordan on their team?

Miles Killebrew/S/Southern Utah:
Seems to dominate at his level. Obviously, smaller school guys have to jump out and he does.

Javon Hargrave/DL/SC State: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ave?id=2555239
A big guy with good feet and a high motor. Yes, please. A development DL to keep your eye on.

Kwame Bell/DE/OLB/Clarion University (not an online school):
6'3, 250, strong, and has pass rush speed...looks like a great 3-4 OLB prospect.

Jason Vander Laan/QB/TE/Ferris State: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...laan/74408122/
He holds the NCAA record for rushing QB's at any level. He's 6'4 244. It sounds like he's game to switch positions and I've read that in multiple places. I don't know if he has any ball skills, but he can run. Why not take a flyer on a guy like this?

Paul McRoberts/WR/SE MO State:
6'3 and 200 lbs. Seems to do a good job catching the ball in traffic and has nice hands and body control. I'm not sure about the speed. Likely more quick than fast, which seems to be a theme with this year's WR class at the combine.

Joe Haeg/OL/North Dakota State:
Somebody had to be protecting Carson Wentz and this guy did it as an LT. Not sure if he's LT material, but he seems to have good feet.

Joe Haeg is going mid round in some mocks now.

A few of mine >

Luke Rhodes ILB William & Mary 4.64 40 6'2 243 Only F.C.S. Linebacker on Butkus Award Watch List, In 2 seasons he has 191 tackles,10.5 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles. A 2 time captain only the 11th player in the programs 122 yr history.
images

David Perkins OLB 6'3 240 Illinois State,
The Illinois State outside linebacker and former Ohio State player recorded 69 tackles, 12 for losses and 8 1/2 sacks last season.
“I think my attention to detail stands out,” Perkins told National Football Post. “I watch a lot of film, break my opponents down. I know what they’re expecting me to give them: speed. They don’t expect some of my other moves.” Perkins has bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times and has a 33-inch vertical leap.

images

Beau Sandland TE 6'6 260 Montana State, 4.60 40 Transfer from the U,
Sandland had no offers out of HS and went on to become the nation's #1 JUCO TE. He went to Miami (FL) but saw limited playing time behind Clive Walford and transferred to Montana State where he became a 1st team FCS All-American.
Sandland is big, but his main asset is speed followed by balance and explosive strength. He often splits out wide.. He never ends up on the ground when he doesn't concede it, and has an awesome stiff arm.

55123379a527b.image.jpg

James Bradberry CB 6'1 205 Samford University TT interviewed him at the SR Bowl, Well built with the size that defensive coordinators look for from NFL cornerbacks. Plays with adequate lateral quickness and reactive athleticism when transitioning forward. Drives hard to the throw looking to make a play on the ball at the catch point. Long arms with ability to aggressively jam and redirect receivers off the snap.

Last edited:
Beau Sandland looks intriguing. I looked him up and I see him listed at 6'4" 253. Combine 40 was 4.74.

4.6 or 4.74? if he clocked 4.6 at the combine, he would be blowin up the boards.

That was my point of the post. He shrunk 2 inches and lost a little speed for the combine. Still an impressive athlete and had me thinking about Gronk with the description "He never ends up on the ground when he doesn't concede it, and has an awesome stiff arm."

I wouldn't consider Hargraves a sleeper anymore. Lot of 3rd-round buzz. Probably be like Derek Wolf a few years ago and go in the 2nd round.

Sandland sounds interesting. Many have decried the TE's available in this draft, but there are some that could make an impact that are mid-to-late round picks.

TE Steve Scheu, Vandy. TTs kind of guy, also a long snapper.

Back