2016 Pre Camp Prediction/Thoughts Thread

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
What are some of the camp battles and position groups you are looking at this year ? I am always watching the secondary but just as in yrs past the DL and OL will be key for me.

This yrs Linebacker corp and WR group will be interesting to see play out as well. I am interested to see what adjustments by formation MM and staff made on offense as well.

What are you looking at and predicting for position battles etc this yr ?

Still waiting for Jayrone Elliott to play a larger role amongst the linebacking crew, and equally waiting for Jeff Janis to play a bigger role with the wide recievers.
During camp this year I hope to hear that both these players are stepping up their games and showing the coaches that they deserve more playing time throughout the season.

I don't know that I see a lot of battles for roster spots but there are some position groups I'm going to pay some extra attention to.

First off, I think QB, RB, TE, CB, S are pretty well set, with nothing more than maybe some tweaking of roles.

I also think the starting OL is set as well as the top 3 backups in Tretter, Spriggs and Murphy. If they go with 9, it'll be Rotterham, Taylor and Barclay battling for the 9th spot, but not much drama other than that. I will be watching the second group closely in pre-season to see if we finally have some high quality back-ups who can transition into starters in a year or two. I haven't seen those kind of backups in a few years.

I don't see much of a battle at DL. Clark, Lowry, Guion, Daniels are sure bets. Ringo seems likely especially to start the season, with Pennel starting the year suspended. Jones can move some between the elephant LB role and DE so adds some versatility. Price, the kid from Tex-SA seems like a good bet for the PS.

WR will be interesting. I still think they could keep 6 but history says they probably won't. Abby would seem like the odd man out. Also, do they continue to use Adams on the outside when they go with 3 WRs or might we see more of Janis in that role. Monty seems more of a slot guy when they go 4-wide and Davis is a rookie and probably will need some time to earn snaps. After that I only see PS guys.

At OLB it looks like it will be Peppers and CM3 starting outside, with Perry, Elliot and Jones providing most of the rotation snaps. Fackrell has some skills and might push Elliot for snaps and maybe even a roster spot, though I think they will keep all 6 of these guys.

ILB should be the most interesting position. Ryan is likely to improve on his rookie year. Martinez brings a little hype with him and might get the nod ahead of Barrington. After that, who knows. McCray seems highly likely to make the 53 but I don't know if his role is inside or outside since I think he played some of each for Denver. The numbers suggest inside since they already have a lot of bodies outside. Thomas did OK as the dime guy but isn't a starting quality guy and might be a numbers casualty. Brown and Pikula are a couple of rookies who might get a shot to make the 53 and if not one likely makes the PS. I suspect this is the end of the line for Bradford. If this group falters, we may well see CM3 taking snaps in the middle again. To me this is the most interesting position battle because both starting spots are really up for grabs between Ryan, Barrington, Martinez and McCray.

WR will be interesting. I still think they could keep 6 but history says they probably won't. Abby would seem like the odd man out.

if they don't keep six, they're going to have to cut more than abby.
  1. nelson
  2. cobb
  3. adams
  4. janis
  5. montgomery
  6. davis
  7. abbrederis

if they don't keep six, they're going to have to cut more than abby.
  1. nelson
  2. cobb
  3. adams
  4. janis
  5. montgomery
  6. davis
  7. abbrederis

Barring injury or a disaster in camp these guys are safe
Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Montgomery
Davis

Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Montgomery
Davis

I agree. Janis is a fan favorite but fact is outside of one playoff game he has done nothing to secure a roster spot. So Janis and Abbrederis are going to have to come in to prove they deserve a roster spot. Also some of the DB's have spoke highly of Ed Williams also as a WR.

Reactions: ski
Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Montgomery
Davis

while i am absolutely certain that you are correct, i would personally rather have a player who makes things happen when they are on the field (janis) than a guy who consistently lets us down (adams). i'm pretty sure if you look at things like productivity per down played and drop ratio you would see that janis is the more skilled player. bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, less likely to drop a pass, more likely to make a big play.

while i am absolutely certain that you are correct, i would personally rather have a player who makes things happen when they are on the field (janis) than a guy who consistently lets us down (adams). i'm pretty sure if you look at things like productivity per down played and drop ratio you would see that janis is the more skilled player. bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, less likely to drop a pass, more likely to make a big play.
Let's put the Arizona game in perspective.
On the last drive Janis caught 2 balls for 101 yards basically on hail Mary plays. First 58 minutes of the game he was 5 catches for 44 yards. Not what I would call breakthrough numbers. More skilled? No. Bigger? Yes 2 inches taller but 4 pounds different in playing weight so stronger debate able

I get the Janis love fest but the guy had 2 great minutes in Arizona Let's not go overboard. Take away those 2 minutes Abby played just as well. 4-55

well, to be honest, i'm not basing my opinion on just those two minutes. janis has been given very few opportunities with the packers, but when you look at how many plus plays he has had versus the number of snaps he has been allowed on the field, i don't know how you can ignore the results. last year, it seems like adams dropped more balls than he caught in "clutch" situations. he was more of a drivekiller than a playmaker. what good is the ability to run pass routes if you are slow and you can't catch?

well, to be honest, i'm not basing my opinion on just those two minutes. janis has been given very few opportunities with the packers, but when you look at how many plus plays he has had versus the number of snaps he has been allowed on the field, i don't know how you can ignore the results. last year, it seems like adams dropped more balls than he caught in "clutch" situations. he was more of a drivekiller than a playmaker. what good is the ability to run pass routes if you are slow and you can't catch?
Janis participated in 130 total plays he had 2 receptions. Disclaimer not sure if playing as a gunner counts or returns count. If you are going to look at one injury season in a siylo ok that's your right. But it works both ways. If you look at the total body of work Janis has to be judged the same way. I'm disappointed with Adams. If you are going to give Janis the same props catching 2 hail Mary's well Richard Rodgers had a game winner too. Can't pick and choose

Last edited:
Back