2015 Camp Battles.... Winners And Losers

My winner has to be Montgomery who is just blowing people up daily.

The loser is Demetri Goodson ... from the JSONLINE " the sixth-round pick GM Ted Thompson kept over Jumal Rolle, a young cornerback competing for the nickel job in Houston, hasn't shown signs he's going to take the step the Packers were hoping in his second season. Goodson, who started out as a point guard at Gonzaga and finished playing football at Baylor, has fallen behind undrafted rookie Ladarius Gunter on the depth chart and was not sharp in a competitive red zone drill. Rookie receiver Ty Montgomery blew by Goodson so quickly that he couldn't even recover on a pass thrown behind the receiver. Randall Cobb also hit him for a slant. First-round pick Damarious Randall and Gunter make similar mistakes, but every practice they make at least one nice play on the ball and show far greater instincts than Goodson. With second-round pick Quinten Rollins returning from a hamstring injury, Goodson has to start showing up or he'll get completely lost in the shuffle.

Winners: back-up CBs, starting DL, Montgomery, Mulumba

Randall, Rollins and Gunter have all flashed to various degrees and all three look like they at least belong in the NFL. Where that is, exactly - starter, nickel, ST - remains to be seen and we will have a much better idea after the Pats have a shot at them.

Daniels, Raji, Guion looks to be the starting group in base and they look to be solid. Doesn't have the heft of 3-5 years ago but those three have had good camps. I look for Mike Daniels to really make an impact this year.

What else can you say about Montgomery? Shows up and is smart, savvy and athletic. Will step right into the KOR role and if he makes plays in the pre-season Clements and MM will find a way to get him on the field in September.

Mulumba seems to have rebounded well enough from knee surgery and makes plays in 11 on 11.

Losers: Hayward, back-up DL, OLB depth

Maybe just me but I'm a little disappointed in what Hayward has shown. He seems to get beat and make plays at roughly the same rate as the three rookies, and that's not going to cut it at Tramon Williams' old spot. On top of that he already seems to be dealing with some hamstring issues, which we all know cost him an entire season in 2013.

The entire back-up group on DL seems to be a mess. Datone Jones has had a disappointing camp, Josh Boyd doesn't seems to have taken much of a step and Khyri Thornton flat out does not belong. Have not read anything about Mike Pennell or Christian Ringo. Maybe this group is just hard to judge in camp drills, but game action will tell a lot.

At OLB we have Peppers and CMIII and...? Someone has to step up and be AVAILABLE to hold this position down. I'm looking at you, Neal and Perry.

Agreed on your winners. For "losers," I will suggest Abbrederis thus far. Dude needs to show he can stay healthy. I'm not particularly fond of the Clay Matthews situation either. Does he even still have it? I get that they're being smart, but how many practices has he missed now?

I can't say for sure until I see some pre-season games.

But the definite losers are any young player who has had to sit out due to innjury.

Only definite "winner" right now is Gunter

I wish Ted could pick DL's and LB's like he does WR's. Seems that part of the defense has been a problem forever. Thornton was a ridiculous pick in the 3rd last year. He'd have been there LONG after the 3rd, imo. What a waste! Will this be the thing that holds the Pack back from the SB? I sure hope not! FP(

Ted should just let someone else completely make the picks for DL and LB and get away from the draft room just for those picks.

Loser has to be Abbrederis. At this point he will need a miracle to make this team. Missing more then a week of practice after tearing ACL early in camp last year and missing whole season. Guy has got to learn nothing so far. I think his odds are slim he makes this team and is probably going to get cut. Winner right now Myles White. Spend a couple years on the PS and looks like it has paid off as he has been doing a great job in TC so far and if this keeps up will be hard not to give him a roster spot.

... Thornton was a ridiculous pick in the 3rd last year. He'd have been there LONG after the 3rd, imo. ...

amen.

trivia question: who was the very next defensive tackle taken after thornton?

Back