12 team college football playoff

Until I see conference giving up their cash cows, I won't believe a word of it. I think they'll try to add money to the pot by adding venue games, beyond NY6. But, we all have to believe what we believe.
The challenge is giving up a home game once you get past 11. It’s hard enough now to schedule FCS schools with pay games and no P5 school wants to play a roadie vs a G5 school. And most G5 schools what a home and home.

They will stick to a 12 team format for 5-10 years and tie in a $2m per year media deal with it, Fox and ESPN. Cha Ching.

Until I see conference giving up their cash cows, I won't believe a word of it. I think they'll try to add money to the pot by adding venue games, beyond NY6. But, we all have to believe what we believe.
TW can't see adding more games. Right now you have close to 40 games and have issues trying to fill all those games with teams with 6 wins. I think it's best to move some games into the CFP and that way you don't even have to add more 5 or 6 win teams to bowl games.

TW can't see adding more games. Right now you have close to 40 games and have issues trying to fill all those games with teams with 6 wins. I think it's best to move some games into the CFP and that way you don't even have to add more 5 or 6 win teams to bowl games.
The total number of bowls will not get cut down. They make ESPN and teams and conferences money. In a 12 team format you need 7 venues so it’s the NY6 games plus either 1-2 on campus games and add maybe Tampa (former Outback) and / Gator. Or on campus for 1 or 2 seed is being discussed. I agree that they won’t go beyond 12 + bowls

Here is the other piece of the puzzle.

You are already adding in quarterfinal games (+ 1 week) and Round 1 games (+1 week). do you really want to compete with NFL playoffs in January? Doubtful. Now if you do hit 16 teams it’s basically a 16 team field, no additional weeks added. But do want Georgia to play a 16 seed? No…..just look at Oregon/ UGA this weekend

To clarify….
ESPN has two deals…One is for Rose, Sugar and Orange. Another one is for CFP final and Cotton, Fiesta and Peach. The second deal covers the rotation among the six bowls for the Semifinals each year. Total outlay around $700m per year

12 team playoff? Probably $2m per year.

Bumping this up, interesting read and the future of a 12 team playoff. This is the interesting thing

Under proposed dates for the 2024 and ’25 expanded playoffs, the six participating bowls would rotate hosting quarterfinals on New Year’s Day and semifinals for later in January. For the Rose Bowl, there are no complications those years. It is scheduled in ’24 and ’25 to be a quarterfinal and would retain its traditional kickoff on New Year’s Day.

That falls in line how the NY6 Games become part of the playoff assuming Rose Bowl falls in line. Follow the money

Back