“If you haven’t been on a yellow school bus then you’re not a coach”

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net

Kelly didn't share that you have to line fields to be a true coach, but he did share some good perspective on the value that guys that coach at the high school level bring when they get an opportunity at a big time college program.

Then, Dilfer talked about how he know so many guys that have gotten the "logo" job before they're really ready for it, and they last a year or two before they're ultimately shown the door because they're not ready.

Dilfers advice for those guys? "Go coach JV high school football. If you can teach those kids football, you can coach."

Then Chip offered up this nugget.

"I don't remember the coach's name, I think he was the running backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe, he asked me if I had coached high school ball because he didn't really want to meet with me unless I had coached high school ball."

"I said, 'Well, why would you say that?'"

"He said, 'If you haven't been on a yellow school bus, then you're not a coach, and that always resonated with me.'"

"It always made a ton of sense to me because you have to think about, whose bringing the ball today? Do we have enough water on the sideline? Those are the little things that when you coach at a 'logo' school, that you never have to really think about those things but those are critical in terms of what you're doing."

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hey Chip, that 18 month “Show Cause “, did they teach you that

TW

Reaction score
Reading it brought back memories. There's so much more to coaching than X's and O's. You need to learn the rest by experiencing it.

TW

Reaction score
Power corrupts. Absolute power is absolute corruption. To stay at, or near the top, of a pile, you need to do what's necessary to remain there. If that means violating rules, that's what many will do, fearing a fall from grace.

Mark knows about that cross roads, as do I. It made it impossible for me to aspire to going above a couple of years as an assistant coach on the college level. To put it bluntly, I wasn't about to sell my soul to the Devil, as strange as that might sound. The joy of coaching, for the vast majority of us, was in how we helped kids realize their personal potential, and the results on the field were a reflection of who they were, not a reflection of our own egos.

GBP4EVER

Draft Guru
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Power corrupts. Absolute power is absolute corruption. To stay at, or near the top, of a pile, you need to do what's necessary to remain there. If that means violating rules, that's what many will do, fearing a fall from grace.

Mark knows about that cross roads, as do I. It made it impossible for me to aspire to going above a couple of years as an assistant coach on the college level. To put it bluntly, I wasn't about to sell my soul to the Devil, as strange as that might sound. The joy of coaching, for the vast majority of us, was in how we helped kids realize their personal potential, and the results on the field were a reflection of who they were, not a reflection of our own egos.
Yeah there has been and always will be guys trying to find those gray area's if not flat out break the rules if it will give them an advantage.