‘True Legend’ Willie Wood Dies at 83

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
wood.jpg

The Pro Football Hall of Famer had a heartbreaking battle with dementia that robbed him of his many memories

Continue reading...

He had football sense. He didn't need to be told what his assignment was on the field. He saw the game unfolding in front of him, knew what the defense that they dialed up was, and did his job as good, if not better, than anyone else in the league.

I only talked to him once, and that for just a couple of minutes. He wasn't overly talkative with anyone he didn't know. He also stayed close to his digs while he was in GB during the football season.

I remember reading that Nitschke - and the rest of the Packers' defense- were afraid of missing tackles or blowing assignments because they didn't want to face Willie's stare / glare in the huddle

I remember reading that Nitschke - and the rest of the Packers' defense- were afraid of missing tackles or blowing assignments because they didn't want to face Willie's stare / glare in the huddle

He was intense. His whole being was in each game. He hit people as if he was 40# heavier. About the surest tackler I ever saw. I saw him take on Jim Brown head-to-head, and he drove Brown back five yards and dumped him on his arse. From that day on, I knew I'd seen one of the greatest tacklers in the history of the game. I never saw anyone else who put as much into the hit as he did, until I watched Chuck Cecil, but Wood had perfect technique, and didn't get hurt like Cecil did.

Willie is a football legend. He should be.

He had football sense. He didn't need to be told what his assignment was on the field. He saw the game unfolding in front of him, knew what the defense that they dialed up was, and did his job as good, if not better, than anyone else in the league.

I only talked to him once, and that for just a couple of minutes. He wasn't overly talkative with anyone he didn't know. He also stayed close to his digs while he was in GB during the football season.

To think, he was a QB at USC, went undrafted, switched positions and became a HOFer. What a special person, player, athlete. RIP Mr. Wood

Back