With Their Pick In Round 3 GB Selects Ty Montgomery WR Stanford

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
OVERVIEW

Played in the 2015 Senior Bowl, finishing with two kick returns for 49 yards. In 2014, selected second-team All-Pac-12 (all purpose) and honorable mention wide receiver. Missed two games due to shoulder injury. Had shoulder surgery in the offseason. In 2013, selected second-team All-American (all purpose) and second-team All-Pac-12. Led the team in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions. Led all qualified FBS returners in kick-return average. Missed three games in 2012 with a knee injury. Led team in kick and punt return averages in 2012 and 2011. Selected honorable mention All-Pac-12 in 2011. Lettered in football, baseball and lacrosse in high school.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.5 and 4.51 seconds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands. Works to be a plus run blocker. Has size and determination to be used to crack-block ends. Good, not great run-after-catch potential. Scouts believe he can be a Pro Bowl returner. Scored four times over last two seasons as a returner. Strong personal character and considered an "accountable teammate" by coaching staff.
WEAKNESSES
Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

NFL COMPARISON
Cordarrelle Patterson
BOTTOM LINE
Montgomery is a likable person with high character and an ability to leave a positive impression in draft interviews, but teams will still have to figure out how they want to use him. His hands might not be trustworthy enough to be part of a three-wide-receiver set. Montgomery can flip fields and change games with his ability in the return game and might be best-utilized in a dynamic, open-minded offensive system that gets the ball in his hands quickly and allows him to use his run after catch talents.

If this guy can turn into a great return guy and nail down that position once and for all.. It makes it worth it...

Plus it sounds like he can be a short, over the middle, quick pass and let him get YAC type of WR which we really don't have...

if we were going to take a wide receiver, we should have taken stefon diggs. but I would have much rather seen us take marcus hardison.

He's such an unusual pick for Ted Thompson. A 3rd round pick for a guy who's said to have problems catching the ball and hanging onto it. Ted has always put a premium on receivers who catch the ball well. When I hear Ted talking about "football players" I hear him talking about defensive players who rush the passer well and stop the run well and tackle well and cover well and get turn overs. I hear him talking about offensive players who block well and catch well and throw well...... A pass catcher who struggle's catching passes? That's anti-ted. It really is.

In a vacuum, a good pick. This type of depth has always worked out for the Packers.

In light of our needs, would have much rather rolled the dice on Dawson. We needed a play maker with an attitude at LB. And if he busted, wouldn't have been the end of the world. tc(

We will roster 6 WRs. Have done it in the past and will again. Janis will absolutely make the team and so will Abby if he’s healthy. I like that he’s a kick returner. Cobb and Hyde return punts well but neither produced that well with kickoffs – Jordy had the best average 2 years ago but don’t want him doing that anymore and Cobb shouldn’t either. Montogmery and Abberderis on kick return and Hyde on punt return.

We have 6 picks left –

I would take 2 ILBs - Ramik Wilson in 4th, Taiwan Jones in 5th, Jake Ryan in 6th,

I’d like a LT to fill out our depth – Sean Hickey might go 4th, 5th or 6th

Joey Mbu can play inside and outside of DL – he’s a 6th.

Bryce Petty in 5th?

Ben Koyak TE in 6th or 7th

Board members - I know a little about football - there are some of you that are highly skilled in the technical aspects of football and right verbiage of it - I just love professional FOOTBALL and especially - NFL - team Packers. In general - some years the draft is like really over-hyped for me - I do not pay much attention. KUDOS to those of you who follow college ball and careers and know so much about prospects.

My general overall observation for the THREE picks made by Packers so far is positive - even a bit optimistic! Here's to the picks "panning out" solid Green and Gold. Long journey with so much that can happen along the way for each individual player and each team.

Cannot change this - I'm still a little "not good" with the draft being in May as far as team preparations and time tables for regular season. Thinking it had an impact on all the teams last year NFL wide that was not positive. Looking forward that now the NFL has the change to May and one season under the belt that especially Packers will have made the necessary adjustments to be ready for Regular Season. - Kaye

The more I see the more I like this pick... If you watch his combine video you see he won't be catching long balls from Arod. That obviously isn't his strength. But, the short passes are solid, and this kid is well built with solid muscle.. In other words, when you need a short yardage or solid YAC this is your guy. He won't be easy to take down.

How can you not like this kid? :)

Seems like he has the right attitude and a very supportive family.

He'll work his way into the offense in time, but I suspect he may be returning kicks and maybe even punts right from the get-go.

I questioned the pick at first, but with TT's draft history at WR especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I'll just trust that this kid will be able to catch the short and intermediate throws and he's got some meat on his bones so might be effective working the middle of the field.

Back