With Their Pick In Round 1 GB Selects Jaire Alexander CB Louisville

57 and Dubz ....Ward is not comparable. He is one of the most technically sound corners coming out in the past 5 years. Alexander is anything but that. Ward uses postion and technique to make his 5'11 seem like 6'1.

Ward is a top 5 guy on a lot of boards if not most JA isn't. Remember JA was hurt a bunch in 17 so most of his evaluation is from 16 and his combine workout. While he may be upset I could counter you and others are trying awfully hard to justify a pick that as I stated before will take 3 plus years to truly know if it works.

Too many unknowns

That's an argument I can buy. I was just pointing out that size alone shouldn't be the full determinant of whether it's a good pick or not, or whether Alexander can play CB in the NFL. Clearly, there is a reason Ward went ahead of Alexander and what you are saying makes sense as the reason.

Good video of DeAngelo Hall discussing Alexander pre-draft (starts about half way through). He's a fan. Says Ward of course was the best DB in the class in terms of ability and polish, but thinks Alexander has a high ceiling.

Here's an interesting read...........

Rare Jaire

New Green Bay Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander only started six games because of injuries during the 2017 season.
But when Green Bay’s first-round pick was on the field, he was as close to a shutdown cornerback as there was in college football last year.
According to Pro Football Focus’ draft guide, Alexander allowed only five total catches on 20 passing attempts into his coverage in 2017. And of those five completions, two were screens behind the line of scrimmage.
He played just under 150 total coverage snaps. That’s not an insignificant sample size. Allowing only three completions beyond the line of scrimmage? Not bad for a cornerback who was dealing with a couple of injuries.
More crazy stats from the draft guide:
He broke up or intercepted more passes (six) than he allowed completions in 2017.
Quarterbacks targeted him five times on passes over 20 yards but were 0-for-5.
Quarterbacks had a passer rating of just 17.7 when targeting him in 2017.

Great read Danno. Looks like a shutdown corner to me.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting read...........

Rare Jaire

New Green Bay Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander only started six games because of injuries during the 2017 season.
But when Green Bay’s first-round pick was on the field, he was as close to a shutdown cornerback as there was in college football last year.
According to Pro Football Focus’ draft guide, Alexander allowed only five total catches on 20 passing attempts into his coverage in 2017. And of those five completions, two were screens behind the line of scrimmage.
He played just under 150 total coverage snaps. That’s not an insignificant sample size. Allowing only three completions beyond the line of scrimmage? Not bad for a cornerback who was dealing with a couple of injuries.
More crazy stats from the draft guide:
He broke up or intercepted more passes (six) than he allowed completions in 2017.
Quarterbacks targeted him five times on passes over 20 yards but were 0-for-5.
Quarterbacks had a passer rating of just 17.7 when targeting him in 2017.

yeah i saw those same stats on twitter. makes me wonder why he wasn't higher up on all the pre-draft big boards out on the interwebs.

Because he's injury prone as well as a gambler. For every 3 great plays, he makes he gives up 1 big one.
I heard Alexander is very selective in taking his shots at going for picks and it's Jackson is the guy who probably gambles going for the ball more then he should.

Because he's injury prone as well as a gambler. For every 3 great plays, he makes he gives up 1 big one.

i gotta say that doesn't seem to make a lotta sense since he only gave up three passes beyond the line of scrimmage in 150 coverage snaps and did not give up any passes of more than 20 yards. it says he broke up or intercepted more passes than completions allowed. are you sure you're not thinking of jackson?

i gotta say that doesn't seem to make a lotta sense since he only gave up three passes beyond the line of scrimmage in 150 coverage snaps and did not give up any passes of more than 20 yards. it says he broke up or intercepted more passes than completions allowed. are you sure you're not thinking of jackson?

Downside: Small frame and little growth potential. Passable strength and so-so arm length. Injury history is notable — could always be one of those players who is stuck in the trainer’s room. Sprained knee hurt his 2017 effectiveness when he did play early in the season, and durability questions will hound him.
[bcolor=#ffcc00]Will mistime jumps for balls in the air and initiate contact. Forgets to turn around and find the ball at times. Bit of a guesser and gambler who didn’t pay for his mistakes a lot, especially last season. Lets his feistiness get the best of him at times. [/bcolor]

Honestly, it depends on your scouts, he's good but he has the above quirks. If he settles down and gets coached correctly it's no problem but some of those issues may hurt early.

Missed two games freshman year with an ankle injury, played every game 2016, missed half the season in 2017 with that knee. Hard to tell because these guys are still developing their football bodies and it's really a limited amount of info you have.

For example, I don't believe Nick Perry missed a game in college. How has that translated? Demarius Randall I believe missed 1 game in his two years starting, the guy lived on the trainers table and his (perceived or real) propensity to pull himself from games got him shipped out.

So yeah, maybe he gets dinged all the time, maybe he plays through it. All part of being a pro.

After a few days have passed I like him as a player and personality more than I initially did. I can't say I like him more than the guys they passed on because I don't. I understand there are probably few GMs in the league who would pass on an extra 1st round pick so I understand where Gute was coming from, and it sounds like they only made that trade with NO knowing they had the trade with Seattle in their back pocket.

I do think he's going to be a slot guy primarily, and look if he comes in and is a reliable slot corner the way Sam Shields was early on or Casey Hayward, and he makes some turnover plays and PDs the way those guys did, I don't think anyone will complain because you need that guy on your roster.

Back