With Their 3rd Pick GB Selects Oren Burks OLB Vanderbilt

Maybe they plan on Jones being the SS now? Not sure what their plans are. I think Pettine has had a huge influence on this draft.

I think MM confirmed this. Said they gave Jones too much last year, they want him to stick with SS.

Maybe they plan on Jones being the SS now? Not sure what their plans are. I think Pettine has had a huge influence on this draft.

I'm not sure either, but with Burnett gone and Jones a high draft pick from last year I'm thinking he gets first shot at playing SS full time, or at least as full time as anyone is in these days with all kinds of packages and hybrid roles.

With the way the game is subtly changing, it could be that Burks is being looked at as a starting/full-time ILB even though he is just a "bit" undersized. I suspect Ryan's snaps may be going down even more next year. Burks ran quite a bit faster 40-time than Martinez as well, so it could be once he gets settled in (if he gets settled in?) that he takes snaps from Martinez as well on passing downs.

I agree that Pettine is probably influencing things some. Even if he wasn't, it was clear to everyone, even amateur hacks like me that this team lacked speed and coverage ability. The picks so far are designed to fix that I think.

Smart guy who is an athlete. That said, he's a reach in my opinion. I just don't see him adding anything to what we have at this time, on the outside. We don't need guys who aren't fast enough to turn plays in, when we're in the 3-4. I cringe every time I see it now, he won't change it.

I'm not sure either, but with Burnett gone and Jones a high draft pick from last year I'm thinking he gets first shot at playing SS full time, or at least as full time as anyone is in these days with all kinds of packages and hybrid roles.

With the way the game is subtly changing, it could be that Burks is being looked at as a starting/full-time ILB even though he is just a "bit" undersized. I suspect Ryan's snaps may be going down even more next year. Burks ran quite a bit faster 40-time than Martinez as well, so it could be once he gets settled in (if he gets settled in?) that he takes snaps from Martinez as well on passing downs.

I agree that Pettine is probably influencing things some. Even if he wasn't, it was clear to everyone, even amateur hacks like me that this team lacked speed and coverage ability. The picks so far are designed to fix that I think.

I believe this is the case. In his interview with Packers.com Burks said he would put on weight (how much up to the coaches). But it sounded like he was looking at being ILB.

I believe this is the case. In his interview with Packers.com Burks said he would put on weight (how much up to the coaches). But it sounded like he was looking at being ILB.

I hope we're not looking at the way things were done in the past. Drafting guys who are square pegs and trying to fit them into round holes. Sometimes these moves of position end up a total flop. I hope this doesn't happen here, if they move him inside. It's like we keep thinking some 4.56 guy is suddenly going to be a 4.20, at 6-3, 250#, and be able to cover WRs and TEs even up. It just ain't happening. Smart kid though.

This guys is a prototype Will in the 3-4. Really love the pick. Played safety, is proven in coverage. Still plays well sideline to sideline and has solid speed.

I hope we're not looking at the way things were done in the past. Drafting guys who are square pegs and trying to fit them into round holes. Sometimes these moves of position end up a total flop. I hope this doesn't happen here, if they move him inside. It's like we keep thinking some 4.56 guy is suddenly going to be a 4.20, at 6-3, 250#, and be able to cover WRs and TEs even up. It just ain't happening. Smart kid though.

he did play ILB for awhile at Vanderbilt.. So he's familiar.. If they really are looking for a better coverage guy then he fits.

Packers did say yesterday plan is for Burks to be a ILB. He has way more speed then Jake Ryan. Ryan really is not starting quality but was out there because we had nothing better to put out there.

Actually, I think this is one time they aren't doing that. In the past, they'd make DEs into LBs, safeties into LBs, CBs into safeties and vice versa, etc. This time they drafted a guy who played safety/hybrid and LB full time in college and they want him to play LB in the NFL while having some coverage skills.

Seems like they finally drafted a round peg for a round hole. Now they just have to resist trying to put a lot more weight on him. He weighed 233# at the combine. Sure, add a few pounds in the weight room but let's not get over 240# for now.

I never heard of the guy before last tonight, but i like that:
He's really smart
Really athletic
Started out a safety so he should feel more natural in coverage than a typical linebacker
Has length to help in coverage
It hopefully relegates Jake "slow poke" Ryan into a spot player at best
How he'll hold up vs the run clearly is a big question. Still better then some UDFA from Holy roller state Ted would try to bring in.

Back