With Pick 1 In Round 2 GB Selects Washington CB Kevin King.

Not that it means much, but the pundits seem to like the pick.

CBS
Kevin King | CB, Washington Height: 6-3 Weight: 192 Love this kid. Love this pick. Smart move by Ted Thompson. He is a hell of a corner. A+

S.I.
KEVIN KING, CB, WASHINGTON GRADE: B+
An early reminder that Day 2 will be loaded with talent. King is not as complete a cornerback as his former Washington teammate, the injured Sidney Jones, but he checks off the size-speed combo at cornerback. He gives the Packers a potential top-two outside cornerback.

Walterfootball
Green Bay Packers: Kevin King, CB, Washington: A Grade
There was some speculation that Kevin King could've gone toward the end of the first round. I had him going No. 24 to the Raiders, and I thought he was a very realistic target for the Packers in the first frame. They could've taken him with the 29th pick, but they moved down and still filled a need by selecting a player at very good value. King has great size and athleticism, which is exactly what Green Bay looks for.

The subjective evaluation of college talent seems to really be on display with this guy. Take the above, his combine 40 time, then read the easiest evaluation to find (hence, for me, the first one :)), nfl.com, and you get "Timed speed and play speed are both concerns. Sluggish feet in press allow quick-releasers to shoot past him. Unable to find necessary acceleration for functional makeup speed." My first thought when I saw the size/speed thing was Aaron Rouse 2.0. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Big press corners King and House will be nice to have against Julio Jones and Bryant.

Half-empty . . . I'm more worried about Josh Jones being Rouse 2.0. King is much more slender and lighter than Rouse. Rouse was nearly 225# at the combine. Harder for a guy that big to play CB or S.

The comparison to Rouse only holds up for height and 40-time.
-King is about 200#, Rouse is 225#
-King ran the 3-cone in 4.58, Rouse in 6.81
-King ran the short shuttle in 3.89, Rouse in 4.19

Those last 2 numbers show Rouse was fast, but stiff. King's numbers were the best of all the DBs no matter the size. Sure, a guy that long will have some change of direction issues and look a little gangly and awkward at times, but I think he'll be OK and certainly much more capable in coverage than Rouse. In retrospect, those agility numbers on Rouse should have been a red flag for TT. (See my comments on Jones)

No doubt it's not an exact comparison, it's just the first thing that popped into my mind at the time. Don't have the skills or desire, but how to the current top-tier CBs measure up in those areas?

I was really more trying to emphasize that much was being made of his speed/agility while the nfl.com eval seemed to be 180 degrees on that.

I like him. Tall, decent speed, durable, lots of games played, good concentration.

No doubt it's not an exact comparison, it's just the first thing that popped into my mind at the time. Don't have the skills or desire, but how to the current top-tier CBs measure up in those areas?

I was really more trying to emphasize that much was being made of his speed/agility while the nfl.com eval seemed to be 180 degrees on that.

Marlon Humphrey who went 16th to the Ravens ran a 4.41 40, 6.75 3 cone drill, did 10 reps on the bench and a 125" broad jump. Compare that to King who ran a 4.43 40, 6.56 3 cone drill, 11 reps.

Malcom Butler who many think is pro bowl caliber ran a 4.62 40, 7.20 3 cone and did 13 reps. He's only 5' 10" 187. King is 6'3" 200 lbs.

Last edited:
With the height and the vertical, and having a pretty good college pedigree, I'm hopeful this guy can at least do something about the jump ball TDs and big plays that seem to happen with regularity.

How the agility translates remains to be seen, as does the effect of coaching. So many of our cover problems were not just from lack of athleticism, but just general soft coverage and inability to read and react and recognize routes in time. Just free receivers everywhere. I don't know if that's what they were coached to do because coaches were afraid of them getting beat deep, or if these guys were just shell shocked and timid. A fresh start should help everyone but I don't know, they've been lousy for so long I don't have super high hopes.

I've harped for years that the Packers needed a tall CB who can compete against taller receivers. You get tired of watching defenders trying to climb up on taller guys, getting flags thrown, and watching drives that shouldn't continue, turn into TDs. At 6-3, we finally have that guy in King. If he can play at that height, with good coverage, we have a winner.

If we can get pressure on QBs, it will make him even more effective.

On the surface, I like the pick. I'll say more when I see how he adapts to turning his hips and moving with receivers, during the preseason. Mechanics, by both receivers and defenders, is so important.

Back