Wisconsin men's hockey gets 1st-place votes in rankings for 1st time in 10 years

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Here's where the Badgers stand in the national rankings after they swept Minnesota to complete one of the best October records in team history.

Continue reading...

#5! Their only loss is to #3, North Dakota. They'll get revenge on them in our barn.

i'll never understand how these rankings work. the badgers are 7-1 and just swept the team that was ranked #1. 7-1 is the best record of all the ranked teams, but the badgers are ranked #5. even more confusing to me is the fact that the goofers are ranked just below the badgers with a record of 3-3, which is the worst record of any of the ranked teams. :unsure:

i'll never understand how these rankings work. the badgers are 7-1 and just swept the team that was ranked #1. 7-1 is the best record of all the ranked teams, but the badgers are ranked #5. even more confusing to me is the fact that the goofers are ranked just below the badgers with a record of 3-3, which is the worst record of any of the ranked teams. :unsure:
If you look at the level of competition these guys play in, throughout the Midwest, it's understandable how you can lose 3 games at this point and still be better than a 5-1 team.

The competition is tough.

If you look at the level of competition these guys play in, throughout the Midwest, it's understandable how you can lose 3 games at this point and still be better than a 5-1 team.

The competition is tough.
Indeed,

Minnesota's three wins are: @ North Dakota, and two over St. Thomas (one was in overtime, lol)
Minnesota's three losses are: @ North Dakota, and swept at home by Wisconsin.

It's still early, too. And it's more that the voters are impressed by Wisconsin than they are disappointed with Minnesota, and the rankings are always rough this time of year because of the scheduling imbalance.

By the way, Wisconsin's sweep of Augustana will go a long way if they keep playing well. The Vikings' only two losses are against the Badgers, and they've swept Bowling Green, beaten Colorado College outright, and took then #2 Denver to OT (and won the shootout point).

The better reflection, and really the only one that matters, is the Pairwise, which more or less reflects the Tournament Seeding Criteria.

Head over there and look at the top of the list, you'll see Wisconsin with a big 'ol #1 next to our name. And Minnesota is down there at #27. And speaking of scheduling imbalance, the #2 team in the Pairwise is Maine, with a record of 3-1, fully half the games that UW has played.

Indeed,

Minnesota's three wins are: @ North Dakota, and two over St. Thomas (one was in overtime, lol)
Minnesota's three losses are: @ North Dakota, and swept at home by Wisconsin.

It's still early, too. And it's more that the voters are impressed by Wisconsin than they are disappointed with Minnesota, and the rankings are always rough this time of year because of the scheduling imbalance.

By the way, Wisconsin's sweep of Augustana will go a long way if they keep playing well. The Vikings' only two losses are against the Badgers, and they've swept Bowling Green, beaten Colorado College outright, and took then #2 Denver to OT (and won the shootout point).

The better reflection, and really the only one that matters, is the Pairwise, which more or less reflects the Tournament Seeding Criteria.

Head over there and look at the top of the list, you'll see Wisconsin with a big 'ol #1 next to our name. And Minnesota is down there at #27. And speaking of scheduling imbalance, the #2 team in the Pairwise is Maine, with a record of 3-1, fully half the games that UW has played.
That Augustana record blows me away to be honest. I had no idea they could put a team on the ice that good.

Back