Wisconsin losing leading tackler Jack Cichy for Remainder of the Season

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The hits keep coming for the 2016 Wisconsin Badgers defense. Just as the Badgers got star senior linebacker Vince Biegel back, news broke on Monday that junior inside linebacker Jack Cichy will miss the remainder of the season.

According to the Badgers official Twitter feed, Cichy suffered a torn pectoral muscle in the 17-9 victory over the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Tough news today: #Badgers ILB Jack Cichy will miss the rest of the season (torn pectoral). UW's leading tackler this season with 60.

— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) October 24, 2016

He was injured in the fourth quarter of the game against Iowa, but came back in eventually. After the game Cichy chalked up his injury as just a muscle bruise and said that he would be “fine.” Obviously that wasn’t the case.

Cichy ranked No. 9 in the Big Ten with 60 tackles after this past weekend, while also putting up 7.0 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks on the year.

It’s a big blow to an inside linebacker group that has now lost both of its opening day starters in Chris Orr (torn ACL) and Cichy.

Cichy’s season-ending injury means that Ryan Connelly will return to the starting lineup. He has played well as both a starter and a backup this season.

Connelly got the start following Orr’s injury against LSU and with T.J. Edwards still out for the first few weeks of the season. To date, Connelly has racked up 12 tackles to go along with a pass break up.

b.gif

Continue reading...

That he was able to go back out there with a torn pectoral speaks to how tough and dedicated this guy is. But you could tell, he just wasn't able to lift that arm up.

It's a disappointment, but Cichy is a RS sophomore, and Chris Orr was a true freshman.

I love the depth at our LB position.

This bites! Cichy was putting up some big numbers, and a team leader. But, we're going to have Cichy & Orr back in uniform next year, and both should be a little "angry" over how this season ended for both of them.

I don't think there's any doubt that Connelly steps up and plays as well as he did in his start earlier in the year. This is, without doubt, the best linebacker group I've ever seen at Wisconsin. It's so deep.

Great Linebacker group and depth. It's no doubt a blow to the defense as this kid was playing lights out but the quality depth at that position softens the blow somewhat. I feel horrible for the young man because I think that UW is on a special run but his contribution thus far have been nothing short of spectacular.

Plus we are without Orr, Sagapulo and Jamerson. It's also possible Tindal and Baun won't play. Along with Cichy thats 6 of your top 15 or so defensive guys for Nebraska.

This team is really deep in defensive players. Can they withstand Nebraska despite the injuries? I think they can.

After watching Wilcox coach defense so far, I'm convinced the guy wears a "Superman" outfit under his street clothes. The guy has made these guys believe in themselves, and the "next man up" mantra.

If they get past Nebraska, and hold then to 10 or under, I'm going to start fearing he's going to be gone next year, as a head coach somewhere in DI ball. I really believe he's that good of a coach.

What makes this even more exciting is that he's even convinced guys that moving from their natural positions has made them better. He has several, and we're going to watch Alec James and Obisah (spelling?). They're ready to produce.

Going to stick with the Badgers to win this one. Cichy is amazing, but "next man up" is the Badgers mantra.

Agree TW but you have to give Leonard an atta boy too. Big improvement in our DB's.

Back