Wisconsin knocking on the Playoff door in latest College Football Playoff standings

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The undefeated Wisconsin Badgers are still on the outside looking in for the College Football Playoff. But they continue to inch their way closer to the proceedings. Wisconsin is No. 5 in the latest College Football Playoff standings, trailing Alabama, Clemson, Miami and Oklahoma. A slip by any one of those teams would surely put the presumptive Big Ten champions into the College Football Playoff.

Source

Continue reading...

This Saturday, the Badgers need to bring their best. Michigan will be up for this one, even in Madison. If the Badgers win this one, I think they've got a shot at knocking down OSU in the championship game. If they win out there's no way they will leave a Big 10 team out of the playoffs. If they did, it could spell the end of the whole system. They've already alienated several conferences with their selection criteria. A lot of conferences will tell you straight out that it's a beauty contest for a few selected conferences.

It's gonna help that Clemson and Miami play each other.

Conference title games could really wreak havoc on this year's playoff. Got a feeling it's gonna get wacky before all is said and done. The way auburn played GA, Bama better not sleep on them. Bama defense seems a bit banged up too.

Conference title games could really wreak havoc on this year's playoff. Got a feeling it's gonna get wacky before all is said and done. The way auburn played GA, Bama better not sleep on them. Bama defense seems a bit banged up too.

I was gonna post something very similar. I work with a Bama guy who actually thinks they are done. He expects to lose to Auburn. If they do lose they are out of the SEC championship game and it would be Auburn-Georgia. I think only the winner of that game gets in. Winner of Miami-Clemson gets in. Oklahoma should win out and they'd be in. That leaves a spot for the undefeated Badgers but they will need to be undefeated.

I was gonna post something very similar. I work with a Bama guy who actually thinks they are done. He expects to lose to Auburn. If they do lose they are out of the SEC championship game and it would be Auburn-Georgia. I think only the winner of that game gets in. Winner of Miami-Clemson gets in. Oklahoma should win out and they'd be in. That leaves a spot for the undefeated Badgers but they will need to be undefeated.

My fear is that, if UW doesn't win out, tOSU will somehow eek it's way into the playoffs. It's a long shot but one that becomes plausible if they win out and some losses take place.

My fear is that, if UW doesn't win out, tOSU will somehow eek it's way into the playoffs. It's a long shot but one that becomes plausible if they win out and some losses take place.

Bite those damn fingers off for even typing that blasphemous crap. #NOtOSUinCFP.

There's a lot of money at stake. It's estimated that the conference that each team represents gets $6 million to split, if they make the top 4 playoff. That's one of the reasons the SEC likes to try to get two teams in. That's even bigger bucks because of the double split. It's also a reason that some schools work with others to insure a conference gets someone in.

There's also additional monies for the teams themselves, along with "perk tickets" for those who financially support their programs, and one heck of a lot of clout on the recruiting trail, when your team is that good.

When you break down the financial gains for each bowl game, and the gain from this particular group, it can turn into an enormous amount of money for a school and conference.

If the Badgers do win out, and lose to OSU, I'm rooting for OSU to get into the Championship picture because it puts more money into the conference, and Wisconsin would benefit from that, and the fact that it took a top 4 team to knock them out.

I sure hope we can win out, and dump OSU (assuming we play them). I want to see the Badgers show they're one of the best programs in the country. I just worry that we're going to lose some top level assistant coaches to other programs that pay big bucks. Some pay coordinators as much as head coaches get in a lot of conferences.

I look at Dave Aranda getting a jump from $520,000 to $1,300,000 when he left Wisconsin for LSU, and his 3 year contract isn't even tied to their head coach. The same could happen with some of our top assistants. They're gold.

Back