Wisconsin football recruiting: Badgers facing big camp week; Eric Burrell changes visit date

JakeKocoB5Q

Reaction score
16594333293_552a55038d_o.0.0.jpg

Breaking down the major visits of the next 10 days and some sports yelling.

Perseverance and perspective. Wisconsin recruiting watchers seem to have lost at least a semblance of both as we have come into June.

Yes, some if it has been self-inflicted, like when you see the Badgers miss on closing a prospect early so a bigger or more directional school swoops in and takes a prospect you like. Or, you know, your side seems to show little to no communication skills.

But again, it's June. And right now, Wisconsin's ahead of Oklahoma and South Carolina on the trail. So, yeah. Doings is yet to happen, and in a surprise twist, the Badgers just might have themselves a chance to close on a prospect.

(Which if unsuccessful, will legitimize some kvetching. So, you know, win win.)

The Katy, Texas, trio

If we're looking for a potential run to begin, it starts here. Thursday begins a two-day visit to Madison ($) for 3/11 of the Katy High School starting defense in linebacker Paddy Fisher and safeties Collin Wilder and Travis Whillock. Now when you have three prospects at the same school, you're going to have the question of the package deal.

While the Badgers now have a situation at safety where they are fighting for a four-star prospect like Craig Watts and have a safety commit in Seth Currens, this isn't a situation that would preclude there being a package deal should one be in play. For one, Currens is listed as an inch shorter and two pounds lighter than former linebacker target Brayden Stringer. For two? Whillock is the sort of prospect that can tackle like a linebacker. This is the sort of situation where all three would contend for starting roles. You'd just have to be creative.

Breaking down next week

#Badgers Football Camps continue all month. Register here: http://t.co/H6JtglYdWU pic.twitter.com/pTTp7245DY

— Badger Football (@BadgerFootball) June 9, 2015

In the run-up to to the big two-day camp next weekend, the Badgers are in line to get several visits from real intriguing prospects. With at least one who was previously scheduled, the Badgers now have a chance to close.

Jacob Morgenstern: Since we last left the three-star athlete from New Canaan, Conn., Morganstern's offer sheet has improved considerably. After Clemson offered on Feb. 21, he received offers from Duke, Mississippi State, Maryland and Ole Miss, among others. Mississippi State seems to have gained traction, along with Boston College.

But the Badgers are still in strong contention here, and while I'm not going to tell you that his planned Monday visit to Madison is going to lead to an insta-commit ($), the Badgers are still in for a prospect who has gained more shine.

Eric Burrell: Four-star safety Eric Burrell was scheduled to visit next Thursday... but that's not happening.

OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOMED.

Wait, hold on.

NO, I WILL NOT HOLD ON. WE'RE GOING TO GET A KID FROM PESHTIGO TO FILL THE SCHOLARSHIP AND IT'S OVER. FIRE CHRYST.

Relax, Internet ghost.

DUDE, WILL YOU STOP TRYING TO KILL MY FIRST-AMENDMENT RIGHTS HERE? I AM MERELY SAYING--

Eric Burrell is going to reschedule his visit to Madison as one of his NCAA-sanctioned five official visits.

PICS OR GTFO.

Fine. *sigh*

I will be taking officials at Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin in September❗❗

— Eric burrell (@EricBurrell_) June 10, 2015

FINE. CLOSE ENOUGH. IF YOU NEED ME I'LL BE KEEPING CROWS AWAY FROM WHEAT. STUPID CROWS.

Anyway, the cursory look at the schedule shows a way this could easily break down. Nebraska's best shot to pitch would likely come early with the Sept. 5 game against BYU or the Sept. 12 night game against South Alabama. The Hawkguys have a night game against Pittsburgh on Sept. 19. The Badgers' night game would be against Hawaii on Sept. 26.

At least, that's how I would do it, if Burrell wants to be done as fast as possible anyway. But I'm just being a guessyman blogger here.

Craig Watts: The Badgers are now officially in the race for the four-star safety from St. Petersburg, Fla. Watts he will be on campus on June 18 and stay on site through the camp on June 20 ($). Odds are, it's not going to be the closing statement in Watts' recruitment. But, considering he wants to hit Colorado, the relevant Florida football schools, Indiana, Ohio State, probably Notre Dame and definitely Pittsburgh before his planned commitment announcement date on July 14. there's going to be a certain pressure to the end, and he likely won't get as much of a chance to get sold on a school like Wisconsin will.

Obviously, it's a battle with Ohio State and these consistently go the wrong way. But with Ohio State's safety situation filled with no seniors on the two-deep and the Buckeyes in play for Brandon Jones and Nigel Warrior, safeties who both have higher star rankings than Watts, as well as Andrew Pryts, a safety of a similar rankings pedigree? There's no reason to believe the Badgers can't get this.

Armunz Matthews: Joining Watts and the biggest array of campers to the class will be Matthews, the three-star cornerback from Tallahassee, Fla. Being on campus during the two-day camp leads one to believe that a commitment is possible, but this is one that you should not be holding your breath in expectation. I mean, it's nine days away for one thing. For another more serious thing, this would be his first scheduled summer visit. If the process is to be enjoyed, there would likely be more visits, both official and otherwise.

Noah Burks: Wisconsin has long been favored for three-star Carmel, Ind., linebacker Noah Burks, and while that still seems to be the case, his recruitment is apparently going to last a bit longer. 247Sports' Evan Flood reports Burks will visit Minnesota and Wisconsin once more; Burks already came to Madison on April 19, when he got his UW offer. Maryland is the main competition here -- all accounts indicate Burks had a great time visiting College Park, so it appears this battle might be closer to 50-50 than initially thought. At least Wisconsin does have another visit to take advantage of, though.

Continue reading...

Back