Wisconsin Badgers vs. Akron Zips: Preview, Predictions and Prognostications

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
598983932-150x150.jpg

We’re experimenting a bit with our preview for football this season…this week we give you a look (an actual look) at Wisconsin vs. Akron. Please let us know if you like, love, hate or anything in between as our Andy Coppens previews all things Akron at Wisconsin in Week 2 of the 2016 season.

Akron Game Week Opposition Research:

Scouting the Akron Offense
Scouting the Akron Defense

However, our other staff members have their own opinions after everyone lost last weekend and is 0-1 to start the season in our prediction pool. Let’s take a look at what the staff believes will happen this week.

Other Staff Predictions:

Nate Woelfel: Wisconsin 42, Akron 10

Even off a huge win, I don’t see the Badgers overlooking the Zips. I had a hard time spotting Akron even 10 points considering the UW defense only allowed one offensive touchdown last week. However, I could see some points floating the vistors’ way during garbage time.

Sawyer Bock: Wisconsin 38, Akron 10

Clement and Dare run all over Akron and the defense remains one of the best in the country

Rayan Vatti: Wisconsin 28, Akron 17

There are a lot of people worried that Wisconsin might start slow after such a huge win last week, and that does have some merit. Akron does have a good passing game, and they will test Wisconsin’s inexperienced secondary early and often. At the end of the day though, Corey Clement and Wisconsin’s rushing attack will be too much to handle.

The post Wisconsin Badgers vs. Akron Zips: Preview, Predictions and Prognostications appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

Badgers 35 Zips 13

Chryst needs to use this game as a stepping stone for a lot of players. If possible, Hornibrook, and others, need to get field time. They need to have game experience if called on.

The Zips are a bit of an unknown though. Most of last year's team has graduated. We're seeing an entirely new offensive line from them, and most of the defense. Yet, they are experienced, to a degree. Most of the players on the team have experience elsewhere on the JUCO level, or in transfers from places like Ohio State.

Underestimating them could be a serious mistake. They could keep it close if the Badgers don't take them seriously.

It would be nice to get a blow-out this week to give some young guys snaps in the 4th qtr. A big key really is their OL vs. the Badger front 7. They have a better QB than LSU, who is also more mobile. They have multiple talented receivers. They can throw the ball if you don't pressure them and mess with their rhythm. Badgers have to get lots of pressure on the QB this week. If they can get Akron off the field quickly, I think the offense can roll up some yards on a young defense, control the clock, and maybe get this thing out of reach by the end of the 3rd quarter. Something tells me though that this could be a closer game. I think I predicted 34-17 elsewhere and I'll stand by that.

I made a late decision to drive to Madison and go to the game. Was going to pass because they were calling for a rainy day earlier in the week, but yesterday it looked like it should be a decent afternoon and "cheapish" tickets should be relatively available outside the stadium. Hopefully it'll be a fun afternoon with a solid win.

57packer said;
I made a late decision to drive to Madison and go to the game. Was going to pass because they were calling for a rainy day earlier in the week, but yesterday it looked like it should be a decent afternoon and "cheapish" tickets should be relatively available outside the stadium. Hopefully it'll be a fun afternoon with a solid win.

Enjoy the game! You should be able to tell us what you see, as far as field speed, after the game. It's deceiving, watching on TV.

It would be nice to get a blow-out this week to give some young guys snaps in the 4th qtr. A big key really is their OL vs. the Badger front 7. They have a better QB than LSU, who is also more mobile. They have multiple talented receivers. They can throw the ball if you don't pressure them and mess with their rhythm. Badgers have to get lots of pressure on the QB this week. If they can get Akron off the field quickly, I think the offense can roll up some yards on a young defense, control the clock, and maybe get this thing out of reach by the end of the 3rd quarter. Something tells me though that this could be a closer game. I think I predicted 34-17 elsewhere and I'll stand by that.

Yes, enjoy the game 57pack.
Please let us know how Camp Randall is doing - I sure miss the place. :(

See ya there, it's a beautiful day for football

The Badgers played well except for a short period towards the end of the second quarter. It's like they drew things in to protect a lead going in at half time. It cost us 10 points. That return should have never happened, and they should never have gotten that FG. The Badgers played better than that. Make those mistakes against the Big 10 teams and they'll drive you into the ground, and keep knocking you down. You never let the opposition up off the canvas! Period!

Hornibrook is so close to Houston on the depth chart that one hiccup could put him in as the starter. The competition between them has to be intense on the practice field. Hornibrook looked very good under center, and has the feel of a guy who has one heck of a future out there.

Bradrick Shaw is very interesting. Size and some speed. He's going to be a real power back for the Badgers down the road. I see him getting enough reps that next year, he could push to be on the field most the time.

Jamerson's injury. Clement's injury. Both worry me. Jamerson is a true nickel back type, who plays well to the ball. Clement needs to get back soon, and be totally healed. We're going to need him when we hit the Big 10.

I do worry a little about Houston's passing decisions. He makes what I consider freshman mistakes. I lay that mainly on what happened when Andersen was HC. I don't think he had a clue on how to work with QBs, despite what people say.

It's been a long time since UW opened up looking this good. Better news >

Look at this team next year:
QB: Hornibrook
RB: Shaw/James
FB: Ingold/Ramesh
TE: Fumagali/Penniston
OL: return everybody
WR: Peavy, Cephus, Taylor, Rushing
DL: Sheehy, James, Rand, Hirschfeld, Obasi, Sagapolu
LB: Watt, Cichy, Edwards, Connelly, Orr, Baun
CB: Tindal, Jamerson, Booker
S: Farrar, Dixon, Ferguson, Johnson
I think that's a serious B1G contender.

No doubt about it. If they can throw the ball effectively to keep teams honest (less than 8 in the box), and they could contend for the Big 10 title.

I'm really hyped about what I'm seeing. Add to that the fact there are kids out there who are now ready to commit to the Badgers because they like the program. Chryst is sending the right messages.

Well, after the game I headed for the backwoods - no internet. Barely a TV signal for the Packer game.

I can only give some general impressions from the game:
- the OL is improved over last year but still behind some of the great lines of years past. Those lines along with the FB were generally able to overcome even 8 in the box scenarios. Akron played 8 in the box a lot and had some success limiting the Badger run game, but over the long haul though they just didn't have the horses and got worn down. Interestingly, their pass blocking is pretty darn solid for a young line.
- not sure if it's just me or maybe I don't remember Clement's style as well because it's been 2 yrs since he's run a lot, but he seems to lack some burst. Maybe Akron has more speed that I thought, but Clement was not able to turn the corner and get the edge on the defense even once that I can recall. Mind you, I know he's not Melvin Gordon, but I was a bit surprised by that. He was running hard though.
-Deal looks shiftier than he did last year. Probably figured out that he couldn't just run over people at this level. He was making some nice solid cuts in the hole and in traffic while going north-south. He should be a solid back going forward. Shaw has a bit more speed than I thought. He needs to get a little stronger though and run behind his pads better. There were some plays where he was too upright and was stopped easily, but that "flip" in the endzone as pretty spectacular.
- Houston is definitely more accurate on the short/intermediate stuff but lacks accuracy on the deep stuff. I think he's more accurate that Stave was but also seems to make a few more foolish throws every game. He does have a quick release. If he can limit the bad mistakes he has the chance to be a solid QB. Too many more bone-headed throws and Hornibrook may get a shot. Hornibrook looked solid and poised and threw the ball well. Of course, that was once the game was essentially over, though I was surprised Chryst got him in the game as early as he did.
- The passing game is still a work in progress. Akron had 8 in the box a lot but UW wasn't really able to make them pay as much as you'd like to see when a team is selling out like Akron was.
- The Badger front 7 is the heart of this team. They really don't seem to have a real weakness. No, they aren't 2015 Alabama good, but they are awfully solid and have some depth. Nobody is going to run wild on them. The youngest Watt looks like he might get himself into NFL draft discussion.
- Both Wheelright and Peavy have some skills. Hopefully this game was an indication of what we might see once they have a few more games under their belts. They will be needed because there will be tougher defenses to come and they'll need to be balanced to win those games.
-Gaglianone is just money right now. Not sure if he's NFL material. He doesn't kick-off and certainly is not athletic but maybe someone gives him a shot.
- Was surprised that Fumagali did not get more opportunities. Seemed like Akron was keying on him, but with 8 in the box there should have been some creative ways to get him 1-on-1.
- Chikwe Obasih clearly had a Gameboy as a child - some of the other players clearly did not. (You had to be there.)

Overall a good win with offensive balance and some solid defense. The passing game and pass defense are still works in progress. They will give everyone on their schedule trouble. Not saying they win them all or that there won't be a bad game in there somewhere, but they could surprise.

Back