Wiscnsin Badgers LB Vince Biegel Set to Make Return vs. Iowa

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Injuries have devastated the Wisconsin Badgers on defense, with key starters out multiple weeks and for the season. One of the biggest names to miss time recently was senior starting linebacker Vince Biegel.

He had surgery to repair a cracked bone in his foot and a screw inserted to help in that process.

It cost him the Michigan and Ohio State games, and although Garret Dooley and Zack Baun filled in nicely, getting the heart and soul of your defense back is never a bad thing. That’s apparently what is going to happen as the Badgers head to Iowa City for their first trophy game of the season.

Our recruiting partners at Badger247 let us know that Biegel would be starting after head coach Paul Chryst made the announcement during Thursday’s media availability.

Biegel has played in four games this season, racking up nine tackles, including 2.0 for loss, and one sack.

His return couldn’t come at a better time either, as starting nose guard Olive Sagapolu is out and one of the two guys who filled in for Biegel, Zack Baun, is also out due to a leg injury of his own.

Biegel, always a tireless worker, has made a speedy recovery from his injury and although the coaching staff wasn’t going to pressure him in to playing before he was ready, the player was all about getting back to playing as soon as he could.

“Vince is always ready to go,” Chryst said. “I loved what he did to get himself to this point.”

The Badgers will take on Iowa at 11a.m. CT inside Kinnick Stadium, looking to get the Heartland Trophy back after an ugly and wild 10-6 contest at Camp Randall last year.

You can bet a senior like Biegel is not going to want to let a three-game losing streak happen this season, nor a two-game losing streak in the series either.

b.gif

Continue reading...

Man I hope it goes OK for him. Foot injuries can be funny and you'd hate to lose him if he re-injures the foot.

Man I hope it goes OK for him. Foot injuries can be funny and you'd hate to lose him if he re-injures the foot.

They say it was a broken bone, so he wouldn't be cleared until the break was healed. I wouldn't expect more than 20-30 snaps from him, though.

Sounds like he made it through OK, but then Cichy and Watt both got hurt. Neither sound serious though.

Ugh . . . I was wrong above. Cichy done for the season. Two ILBs out for the season now. I guess Connelly and Jacobs better be ready to take plenty of snaps next week.

Connelly and Jacobs will do fine, if they repeat their play from the past. This has to be the best linebacker crew in the nation, bar none. I've even heard that stated on college TV shows. One comment was that they may be as much as six or seven deep in guys who will make it in the NFL, when they finish college.

My biggest hope is that Hornibrook takes another step forward in his growth at QB, and starts hitting those over-the-top touch passes he's missing by a step or two. If he does start hitting them, they could be a decent quick strike team despite their lack of speed.

I haven't looked at the line on the Nebraska game, but no matter what it is, I'd take the Badgers. They should be ready to strap it up in Madtown.

Point spread won't give you a win but is encouraging.

Badgers at Camp Randall, at night, should be a win. I sure hope so because I was able to get a pair of 50 yd line tickets. I don't want to drive home cold and maybe wet that late after a loss. It'll be a lot warmer and drier after a win!

The game I really worry about is at Northwestern. Man that place has been a house of horrors for Bucky.

Back