will we see a "revolution" in the way this team is built?

Getting back to the OP. I don't see Gute changing the philosophy very much. I think we will see him wait for the second wave FAs with an emphasis on released/cut FAs. Salary cap releases that won't take away from the compensation formula.

That being said, I'm hoping for one true FA that is NOT off of our roster. Morgan Burnett has been a good all around player, but he is not a playmaker and if it's true he's going to command $9-10M a year? Pass. I'd rather see that money spent on my 'wish' FA- Trent Murphy, DE/OLB Washington. He's not an all pro, but he his trending upward after missing last year with a 4 game PED suspension and landing on the IR. IIRC he had 3-3-8 sacks in his first three years. I think he's better than anyone we brought in last year. His signing would also open up the draft to be able to pick BPA instead of being forced into an EDGE player in first round.

Just because TT is gone doesn't mean we're going to sign any blockbusters, but it might mean we plug some holes with competent veteran FAs.

but it might mean we plug some holes with competent veteran FAs.

well, that would be a step in the right direction anyway. but i'm wondering if the packers have any pro scouts who would know a competent veteran free agent if they saw one.

well, that would be a step in the right direction anyway. but i'm wondering if the packers have any pro scouts who would know a competent veteran free agent if they saw one.

It's a hole in the system for sure, Wolf and Highsmith were those guys. Gutey will have to make some new hires there but likely after the draft and FA.

I think a lot of it had to do with Thompson, not the guys evaluating talent for him. I think his constant concerns for money guided him more than the talent available. He seemed to fear - more than anything - overspending on a free agent.

In a way, he might have been right. Look at the Bennett situation. Then the limited ROI on others as well. I believe he chose the road of lesser cap hit over real value.

Yes Thompson was the one making those decisions, but it frustrated the hell out of Elliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith, who were involved in pro personnel evaluation. Now those two guys are gone, taking their knowledge with them, leaving Gutey in a weakened position when it comes to FA this year.

Reference the free agent choices he did make. Probably not good ones. Doesn't mean the people scouting didn't give him adequate information to make the right decisions. He just seemed to lack the ability to put talent together with money, allowing money to be the deciding factor, when sometimes talent was what should have been considered first. He made a few good decisions, but most of the people he grabbed in FA were just filler to complete the roster, and many of them showed they don't belong when you look at the pathetic depth we have in most positions.

Yes Thompson was the one making those decisions, but it frustrated the hell out of Elliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith, who were involved in pro personnel evaluation. Now those two guys are gone, taking their knowledge with them, leaving Gutey in a weakened position when it comes to FA this year.

Totally agree. It will be weaker because of those losses. But, I do wonder if there are guys inside the organization who were instrumental enough in the past, who can step up? It seems like the Packers have always been strong in that area because of the depth of personnel.

I guess we'll see as we approach this coming season.

Back