Who'd have thunk?

Half Empty

Reaction score
If any time prior to Jordy's injury, and probably even after (lots of threads on lots of sites about how that would hurt, but...) someone had told you that the Packer defense and special Teams would be playing adequately/well/impressively/much improved, who would have believed the angst many (including me) are going through now? 10-4 is admittedly still a fine record, but with the caveats for D and ST, I'd have figured we'd be looking to see whether it would be the Panthers or Pack shooting for the perfect season.

I agree completely but I do have to admit I was concerned when Jordy went down. He caught most of his balls while running routes where Cobb seemed to be the guy that caught the big plays when Rodgers was scrambling. Jordy also drew double teams which opened the field for other guys. Adams was OK last year and gave us every reason to think he would improve this year. Cobb still can't get open and Adams is looking like a bust. Jones is OK but doesn't get open like Jordy did.

If Abby can start getting open maybe we can see some improvement in the offense. It sounds like Rodgers wants him on the field more.

Speaking of the receivers, the topic, and your first sentence, what kind of reaction would you have gotten if you'd have said that receiver would be this year's ILB or safety position?

don't kid yourself. the loss of jordy was big. i believe that if he was healthy and playing we might very well be undefeated. i'm absolutely certain our record would be better by at least two games.

Speaking of the receivers, the topic, and your first sentence, what kind of reaction would you have gotten if you'd have said that receiver would be this year's ILB or safety position?

Well we had no reason to believe that Adams wasn't going to improve and Cobb was still a playmaker. Monty was the unknown and everyone hoped for Abby and Janis to show something. People would have thought it was crazy talk to think they would struggle this much.

Figured they would struggle some on offense. Did not think it would be this bad. Nelson was clearly the grease for the WR machine.

Too early to call Adams a "bust". A disappointment this season, yes. That said, I seem to recall James Jones having a bit of a tough 2nd season and he became reasonably productive. I think Adams as the #3/4 guy can still be a capable player. He is not a #1 or even a #2. It is time for AR and others to cut out the Pro Bowler talk when referring to Adams. He's not THAT good. They may have to draft a #2. With Nelson back next year and a quality addition from the draft, you can say that Cobb, Adams, Abby and Monty would make a pretty good 3-6 group (in no particular order). I'm saying Cobb is the #3 because he's a slot guy only and to me that makes him the #3 even tough he may be more productive in terms of catches than the #2 or even #1 guy.

If they do draft a WR in the first 3 rounds, one of Adams, Abby or Monty is probably not going to make the team next season. That is based on leaving Janis out of the equation who I think makes it again next year as the 6th WR purely due to value on special teams, even if he gets no better as a WR. He's been a stud on coverage units and has done a better than decent job as a returner, plus you reduce the injury risk to a top-5 guy.

Agree with 57. Too early to call Adams a bust. Ugly sophomore slump, but I do believe the high ankle sprain had a little to do with it. A high ankle sprain knocked Monty out! Historically WRs emerge in their third year. Adams class was an exception to that rule of thumb. I don't think we'll see a WR in the first three rounds. TT might try to get some speed later in the draft (and develop). Two legitimate questions to ask though:
1- Is our WR coach doing a good job? Doesn't seem so. Lots of half assed routes being run, no urgency. (something I feel Abby has added.)
2- I believe our QB IS HURT. Losing Jordy was big, but how many times have WRs been open and are completely missed! Jordy has nothing to do with over or under thrown balls. ARod has been a bit off his usual precision. I think we'll hear that he has been having shoulder problems after the year is over.
As to the OP, nope. I still can't believe it.

Back