Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

ski

“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.”
Lifetime Member
Founder
Reaction score
Seems to be one every year..... (Guion doesn't count) Maybe there isn't one this year, but let's think about it....
Who is yours and why?

I'll go with Janis, I think the WR corp is full and they found a better return man in Davis.

Again, who you got and why?

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I know everyone will think I'm nuts. I see Hundley blowing his opportunity, and Callahan stepping up big time, taking #2 away from him. Ergo, Hundley gets sent packing and Hill ends up on our practice squad.

Go ahead! Throw things! Just not rocks, anvils, or pick-up trucks! sp)

Cobb, due to money and touches. You have Jordy, Adams, Bennett as the big three targets. Jordy has been hugely productive from the slot. Kendricks and R Rodgers can also catch passes well enough, and though there's a lot of inexperience behind Jordy and Adams at WR, there is also youth, speed and athleticism and TT and MM aren't afraid to give youth a chance.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I know everyone will think I'm nuts. I see Hundley blowing his opportunity, and Callahan stepping up big time, taking #2 away from him. Ergo, Hundley gets sent packing and Hill ends up on our practice squad.

Go ahead! Throw things! Just not rocks, anvils, or pick-up trucks! sp)

I see Callahan getting cut in favor of Hill before Hundley gets cut for Callahan. Hill has better size and athleticism. Big if but if he grasps the offense better as camp goes on he'll push Callahan.

Cobb or Richard Rodgers.

I agree that Richard Rodgers will probably get cut. He's not going to improve, and what the Packers need as the #3 WR is a "wild card type." Someone who's a little different. I've always assumed that Rodgers was already a cut casualty when they signed two TEs.

Now, based on what you said, and I'm saying, we might be thinking Kendricks is a shoe-in at #2 TE, but is that really the case? Maybe Rodgers is #2, and Kendricks is fighting to be #3?

It's so difficult trying to figure out what McCarthy and Thompson are thinking, and even if they're on the same page.

I think Cobb as well but Janis would not shock me. Cobb would free up some cash and would allow MM/TT to keep a younger prospect.

if janis gets cut i don't think that really qualifies as a "surprise". he was brought in as a project, and although i don't feel he's ever really been given a legitimate shot, i think he actually has given them more production than the average "project". most projects fail. that's why they are typically seventh round picks or undrafted. i think he would have a better career elsewhere because there are teams that have simpler offenses where he would only have to run a few different routes. and i could easily see the packers letting him go when they have so many talented young guys with similar speed now.

richard rodgers would qualify as a surprise i guess. my definition of a surprise cut would be someone who was a starter or at least a key contributor last year. and rodgers fits both of those descriptions. i mean he's had some fairly high profile catches in his short career. but i think that the fact that we brought in bennett and kendricks and peck and byrd and we still have sandman sticking around from last year means they're looking pretty hard to justify letting him go.

as for cobb, if they actually cut him - yes that would be a surprise. i would hope that we could get something for him. anything would be better than nothing. but then, we've certainly seen that before (more than once) with ted thompson, where he just lets a talented player walk away and then hopes for the big comp pick. but you're not going to get a comp pick if you cut a player. so i guess i'll go with cobb.

Last edited:
Surprise cut Jahri Evans gets beat out in camp and is released.

I don't think DickRod gets cut. Especially after Sandland just hit IR. He knows the offense. Doesn't cost much and MM likes him.

After the first game my leading suspects to get cut are:
Don Barclay- McCray filled in ok, if he progresses Barclay is gone.
Randall Cobb- seems to be effective only in scramble. Easily covered in base offense. too much $$
Lad Gunter - Thanks for the effort, but dude- you're slow. (randall's concussion might help him stay)

None of these would surprise me. Remember- Gotta stay young! TT loves himself those draftpicks.

Back