Which vets won't make the cut this year ?

Any surprises out there ? Could a guy like Kuhn or even a big name like Peppers get axed if they falter in camp ?
Peppers won't get cut. He got a roster bonus I belive. The team would not pay that if they were going to cut him.

If anyone goes on offense would be a guy like Starks on defense could see Mike Neal get cut.

Depends on how we define veteran, but Starks is possible. Kuhn maybe. Guion if you include him as a vet. Neal seems pretty safe right now, but with his injury history he could get nicked up and fall behind. Palmer could easily be gone if you count him as a vet.

IMO the 2 most vulnerable offensive vets are Kuhn and Starks. Neither one is getting any younger.

Danger zone: Kuhn, Starks, Lane Taylor, Perillo on offense.
Palmer, Mulumbo and one or two DL, but that's too tight to narrow down. Possibly trades for late round draft picks (Perry or Neal).

Neal and Kuhn come to mind first. Starks is another player that could get ousted if he doesn't have a great camp. tc(

Starks: According to John Crockett's agent the competition for the number two RB is an open one. We all seem to like Crockett and Raijon Neal. Randall Cobb has a package that Ty Montgomery may be involved in going forward. Kuhn is an emergency guy as well. And let's face it, were a passing team. If a young guy can pass block well and get the yardage the line provides and occasionally make a guy miss, the Pack can save 1.5 Million by letting Starks go and giving the reps to fresh legs and have some experience already in place next year.

Kuhn: We drafted a Fullback, which is usually not a good sign for the existing one. Although there is pretty little to gain by cutting him loose. But it's a numbers game sometimes. If we want to hold on to Ripkowski but not two fullbacks, Kuhn's gone. I think we'll keep two, but Kuhn could be cut if the rookies show they belong early and often.

Quarless: Cap savings of a mere 1.6 million make it unlikely, and I really like Q, but there are some young hungry boys looking to make him expendable. I wouldn't be surprised if the receiving core means no more Quarless lining up wide, or just flat out no more Quarless.

Raji: Didn't play last year. Was a 4 Million dollar value prior to that. Total wildcard. Which means he could be cut depending on his play and the play of others around him. His possible 1.2 million in cap savings if released isn't expected to be much of a factor. Although if a younger player plays better and has a more controllable contract (Raji is on a one year deal), Raji's gone.

Guion: Green Bay guaranteed him nothing on a 1 year 2.75 million dollar deal. Not exactly a lot of commitment there. Legal issues badly hurt his stock, and like Raji, if he plays below the young bloods, he's gone.
Neal: He's a little overpaid, and Green Bay can save 2 million by cutting him and getting younger players more reps. If Jake Ryan is starting week 1, with Clay freely rushing from the edge and not at ILB, the play of the Jayrone Elliot's of the world could put him out.

I could easily see Kuhn being an odd man out in this thing. Also would not be surprise if Neal finds his way out the door.

Back