What scouts said about Kizer before the 2017 NFL Draft

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

Here’s what 11 NFL personnel people told me about quarterback DeShone Kizer of Notre Dame before the 2017 draft. Kizer reportedly was acquired by the Green Bay Packers Friday in a trade with the Cleveland Browns. No trade can become official until the start of the league year Wednesday.

NFC scout: “It’s between the ears more than anything. He’s got really good arm strength. He can crank the ball through the tight windows. He’ll force into coverage. He’ll stand tall in the pocket. When he’s under pressure he doesn’t move in the pocket as well as you’d like. He’s a big dude.”

AFC scout: “He has the most talent but his makeup stinks.”

AFC scout: “I wouldn’t want him. He’s very physically talented. He’s not as good as he should be because he’s not committed to the game. He’s committed to building a brand. He wants all the things that come with being a starting quarterback but he doesn’t want to put in the work. He’s sketchy.”

NFC scout: “I’m shaky on him. He might be a flop.”

AFC scout: “He should be the top guy but for some reason he’s not. The tape is just incongruent. He’s smart. I talked to the kid. He’s got size, a good arm, he’s a pretty good athlete. Everything lines up. He’s got Notre Dame, for God’s sakes. It doesn’t connect. Is there a fatal flaw somewhere? Maybe the game doesn’t slow down for him. If he gets in the right situation I can see him being a good starter.”

AFC scout: “He’s Jay Cutler with less arm. Doesn’t win. He’s got all the measurables and pro qualities but he has bad moments.”

AFC scout: “He’s a pure Millennial. He’s caught up in being more of a quarterback image than being a quarterback. He is the classic boom or bust. If he goes to the right spot with the right coach, he’ll ascend. They’re going to have to get him to focus on football. I honestly think this guy would do better in a small market. The quarterback coach and coordinator could cultivate him. Then I think he’ll take off. If he goes to a big market he’ll enjoy everything else that comes with the position as opposed to focusing on the position … In terms of arm strength, athleticism, talent, intelligence, he’s the highest end guy. At the same time, he’s also the one with the most flaws. The one position in the building you don’t want to worry about whether he’s going to be focused on football is quarterback. It cuts with a double-edged sword with this guy.”

NFC scout: “Name me a Notre Dame quarterback lately that’s flourished in the NFL. Just name one. Oh, Joe Theismann, that was recently. Rick Mirer went first round. Brady Quinn wasn’t worth anything. We’ve never had much success with Notre Dame quarterbacks.”

AFC scout: “He’s a boom or bust guy. He is a first-round talent. He’s extremely talented. It’s all the other things. Boy, at times he looks bad. They won four games. You look at that team. They’ve got players. There’s no way they should win four games. It was because of this guy, the quarterback. He was so bad in the first half against Stanford they benched him … He’s athletic. He has a strong arm. He’s got a nice release. He throws a nice deep ball. He can move in the pocket. He’s not a runner. You question his patience and judgment. He’s streaky and inconsistent. He’s the most physically gifted of all the quarterbacks. Second round. He should have gone back (to school).”

NFC scout: “Prima donna. Thin-skinned. Only things he’s worried about are his status and money. That’s what drives him. It’s all about him. He’s bright, but it’s all about him.”

NFC scout: “He looks the part and all that but his quarterback makeup is concerning. Kizer’s a mess. The guy got benched. He had a lot of bad games. Doesn’t win. He’s a mess.”

The post What scouts said about Kizer before the 2017 NFL Draft appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

Back