Trevor Anderson chases dream, transfers to Badgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin Badgers backcourt is a youthful group heading in to the 2017-18 season. It also is a competitive group, and things just got even more competitive for the next few seasons.

On Wednesday, Stevens Point native Trevor Anderson announced his intention to transfer to Wisconsin after just one season with the Green Bay Phoenix program. He will come as a walk-on for the 2017-18 season and likely could earn a scholarship after that.

Anderson should be a familiar name as he was on Wisconsin’s radar on the recruiting trail. Additionally, Anderson and the Phoenix took on the Badgers this season, with Anderson still getting his feet wet as a true freshman.

He finished his first season in college basketball averaging 9.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. But, his season was ultimately cut short due to a fracture in his back during a game against Cleveland State on January 23rd.

So, why transfer from a program that was clearly ready to feature him for his entire career? For Anderson it was about the whole picture and not just basketball. He put it out there in a message via Twitter:

Taking A Leap Of Faith!!
1f534.png
1f450.png
1f3fb.png
⚪pic.twitter.com/Qt8e8wcRwV

— Trevor Anderson (@TreMamBa15) May 3, 2017

“When the season closed, I did a lot of self-reflection; evaluating all aspects of my life from school, sports and personal happiness,” said Anderson. “Growing up in Wisconsin, it was always my personal dream to play for the Badgers. With that in mind I have decided to transfer to the University of Wisconsin-Madison for the 2017-18 season.”

According to Badger247, Anderson will do what Greg Gard was hoping he would do in the first place — walk-on.

The Stevens Point native didn’t receive a full scholarship offer, but did receive an offer to walk-on and earn a scholarship at a later date. A year later and that is exactly what Anderson is doing anyway.

It also comes at a perfect time, as the Badgers backcourt has plenty of change coming. With both Bronson Koenig and Zak Showalter graduated, starting positions are available and rotation minutes are certainly going to become available as well.

Anderson is far from your typical walk-on and while he’ll likely have to sit out this upcoming year he’ll still have three seasons left to contribute.

The post Trevor Anderson chases dream, transfers to Badgers appeared first on A Wisconsin Badgers Site.

Continue reading...

But, since he's a standard "transfer" between D-1 schools he won't be of any help at guard this year replacing Showy or Koenig's minutes - he'll need to sit-out the 2017-18 season. Graduate transfers can play right away as can JUCO transfers, but not straight up undergraduate transfers between D-1 programs. (Unless there is some part of the transfer rule I don't understand.)

Back