Training Camp Day 6 Summary

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Mike McCarthy discussing TE Marcedes Lewis: "His ability to cut off and anchor on a block and maintain at the line of scrimmage has been impressive. Frankly, we haven't really had that here with a man of his size and his ability

McCarthy says inside linebacker Ahmad Thomas, a practice squad holdover from last season, has had a very strong start to camp. McCarthy likes his coverage ability and is eager to see him perform on special teams. A name to watch behind Blake Martinez and Oren Burks.

DE Mike Daniels (quad) has returned to practice

JK Scott punted eight times: 61 yards, 4.67 hang 50, 4.81 55, 4.75 53, 4.22 48, 4.57 48, 4.25 59, 4.94 48, 4.25

Starting secondary today: Kevin King and Jaire Alexander on the perimeter, Josh Jackson in the slot, Jermaine Whitehead the dime, Josh Jones and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at safety.

Aaron Rodgers got the defense to jump offside and then used the free play to throw a no-look touchdown pass all the way across the field to Geronimo Allison in a 2-minute drill.

Mason Crosby hits 5 of 8 field goals. He missed from 39, 47 and 49.

Packers have been using Kendall Donnerson on an inside twist up the middle. He’s got a lot of speed bearing down on the quarterback.

Practice ends at two hours, 30 minutes with a helmet-to-helmet hit by Josh Hawkins.

Everyone is talking about Jimmy Graham and what a Red Zone monster he will be this year, but I think the one who's going to be sneaky/score a lot in the RZ is Marcedes Lewis because everyone is going to be keying on Davante, Graham, and Cobb while Lewis sneaks into the open after providing a chip block on a DE/LB and his size will make him a mismatch on a Safety.
And, you know he will be on the field in the RZ because of his blocking prowess in the run game. Defenses will have to account for that. It will create a lot of problems for opposing D-Coordinators.
tc(

Everyone is talking about Jimmy Graham and what a Red Zone monster he will be this year, but I think the one who's going to be sneaky/score a lot in the RZ is Marcedes Lewis because everyone is going to be keying on Davante, Graham, and Cobb while Lewis sneaks into the open after providing a chip block on a DE/LB and his size will make him a mismatch on a Safety.
And, you know he will be on the field in the RZ because of his blocking prowess in the run game. Defenses will have to account for that. It will create a lot of problems for opposing D-Coordinators.
tc(

I don't disagree with your premise here but your assuming they go 2 tight.... AR and MM like to spread out with 3-4 wide rather then go 2 tight. Granted that can change but I have yet to see that.

I dont think we will see graham in tight a ton. He splits out alot. Could see some cool packages with both in the game.

I don't disagree with your premise here but your assuming they go 2 tight.... AR and MM like to spread out with 3-4 wide rather then go 2 tight. Granted that can change but I have yet to see that.

I'm assuming Graham will be either in the slot or split out, and Lewis in tight (likely by the RT for a run right power formation). If teams don't respect the run, Rodgers opts to the run version of the play and Lewis functions as an extra blocking OL. If they crowd the line to stop the run, there could be 1-1's for one or more of Adams, Cobb, or Graham..........and Lewis might even be left uncovered. But even if he is covered, and they are inside the 10 yd line, he will be tough to match up with because he's so tall and is such a big body.
Having both TE's on the field inside the RZ, and especially inside the 10 yd line, will be a huge advantage for Rodgers and the Packers. I've even heard mentioned they could put Kendricks in too and go three TE's in the RZ.
Being able to run the ball inside the RZ, because of Lewis' help, will be a nightmare for other teams to try and game plan for.

Having both TE's on the field inside the RZ, and especially inside the 10 yd line, will be a huge advantage for Rodgers and the Packers. I've even heard mentioned they could put Kendricks in too and go three TE's in the RZ.
Being able to run the ball inside the RZ, because of Lewis' help, will be a nightmare for other teams to try and game plan for.

I do believe this will be a wrinkle that the Packers will use. It eliminates the need to bring in a fullback for blocking purposes since both TEs could fill that role, and be better receivers.

Philbin will introduce some changes that McCarthy will agree upon. He trusted him that much in the past, and I think he will again.

Maybe we'll be able to convert in short yardage. How many 6' 5" DBs do the other teams have?

Back