This loss belongs to the coaching staff, not the quarterback

I saw a really nice breakdown of plays from Hundley showing there were plays to be made. He had time to make them and either made the wrong read, released the ball to late or just plain missed the open receiver. You can blame whoever you want but Hundley needs to shoulder a big part of the blame for the passing game ineptitude. I don't think he can't improve enough to win some games and still think he can play them to .500 ball. It looks to me like an inexperience and confidence thing. He hasn't played in a real game situation since college. The preseason stuff is against vanilla defenses.

I was at the game. Said this before. Hundley has zero field vision. There were WR 5-10 down field running a short route over middle of field. Rodgers has hit them 1000 times Hundley never even saw them. Nelson broke free 2-3 times easy TD he hits it. He does not see at or to late and misses his chance to Nelson. Plan and simple 3 years in you should be able to read a defense and not miss wide open guys. I won't give him the he needs to learn he has had 3 years to learn he's not a rookie being thrown to the wolves. Time to show he has it or time to find someone who can get it done as a backup.

I was at the game. Said this before. Hundley has zero field vision. There were WR 5-10 down field running a short route over middle of field. Rodgers has hit them 1000 times Hundley never even saw them. Nelson broke free 2-3 times easy TD he hits it. He does not see at or to late and misses his chance to Nelson. Plan and simple 3 years in you should be able to read a defense and not miss wide open guys. I won't give him the he needs to learn he has had 3 years to learn he's not a rookie being thrown to the wolves. Time to show he has it or time to find someone who can get it done as a backup.

You aren't going to find many QBs that sit for 3 years and have them come in and dominate. I'd expect improvement next week and continuing improvement over the next several weeks.

You aren't going to find many QBs that sit for 3 years and have them come in and dominate. I'd expect improvement next week and continuing improvement over the next several weeks.

No but a 3 year QB should not play like a rookie in his first game in the NFL.

No but a 3 year QB should not play like a rookie in his first game in the NFL.
Well by playing time he is a rookie. I understand what you are saying but if it was so easy every team would have 2 or 3 really good QBs.

Eyecatcher's point is valid. Rodgers sat for three years, and his first year as #1, we were 6-10. Difference is, he passed for over 4,000 yards that year, and was productive. His QB rating was near 94, so that showed he was average.

Looking back, Rodgers had Jones and Nelson as his #3 & #4 receivers. Jennings & Driver were #1 & #2. Ryan Grant went over 1,200 yards rushing.

I'd give the 2008 team the upper hand on receivers, but I think Jones may be better than Ryan was.

I don't see Hundley racking up half those numbers in a full season. He just isn't anything like Rodgers was from the start.

That said, he's our QB this year, we need to learn to live with it.

Oh, I already have, Tw. I’m looking forward to an exciting high draft pick next year! thumbsup :D

Good statement Wolfman! That's exactly how we need to view it. We can't change what happened, and we can't make the team better from it. All we can do is accept what happened, and take a good look at exactly how important Rodgers has been to the overall effectiveness of the Packers.

I believe the entire coaching staff is going to be exposed as to how good they are (good and bad), and their futures will hang in the balance, not long after the season ends.

If McCarthy and his associates are as good at coaching as the front office believes, or seems to believe, and if they're responsible for the solid results of the past, we're going to find out real fast. We're also going to find out just how well some of our key players perform in the face of adversity. Anyone can be high on success, and go with the flow of energy from it, but it takes a special person to continue to play at a high level, when everything is coming unglued around you.

I have a hunch you're right on draft picks. We could be in the top 10.

I believe the entire coaching staff is going to be exposed as to how good they are (good and bad), and their futures will hang in the balance, not long after the season ends.

I have a hunch you're right on draft picks. We could be in the top 10.

I completely agree with your thoughts in your post, TW. However, I think Aaron’s injury will be used as an excuse rather than as exposing this coaching staff. If Ted didn’t let all the blunders of cluelessness and horrible game planning move him to make a change, I don’t think this will either. This coaching staff should have been shown the door after that NFC Championship nonsense in Seattle, imo. That’s just the way things go at 1265.

I think Ted will stay as long as Rodgers does and then quit, knowing this franchise rode on the coattails of two of the greatest QB’s to ever play the game...with only two Super Bowls to show for it. I hope against hope that I am wrong.

If the Packers DO end up with a top ten pick, I’m scared of the idea of Ted picking a high quality pass-rushing OLB or ILB or DL. Not even sure he would address defense. If we had a great defense, they could win some games even without Aaron.

Last edited:
This coaching staff should have been shown the door after that NFC Championship nonsense in Seattle, imo. That’s just the way things go at 1265.

If the Packers DO end up with a top ten pick, I’m scared of the idea of Ted picking a high quality pass-rushing OLB or ILB or DL. Not even sure he would address defense. If we had a great defense, they could win some games even without Aaron.

This 2 statements, I whole heartedly agree with. I'm not sure I have any faith in Ted getting playmakers with a high draft slot. He'll overdraft later round picks because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

McCarthy might get a pass on a poor season. They could blame it on Rodgers injury. Yet, the Board of Directors, and everyone in the front office should be very aware that one man should not be what defines an entire football team.

They just might begin to realize that McCarthy is wasting the career of one of the best QBs who ever played the game. We just don't know what goes on inside the board room.

Back