The Sunset Years Of Aaron Rodgers

Incorrect Matt played in Green Bay until 2000, MM came in 2006. They never crossed paths that I am aware of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hasselbeck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCarthy_(American_football)

Like it .. Hate it the Biggest factor in Aarons development was sitting behind a pro bowl QB for 3 yrs and learning the game. NFL FB is 3 times faster than college and he was able to have the game slow way way down before starting.
MM wasn't HC when he coached Hasselbeck here. But he was Packers' QBs coach in 1999.

See my full post above. Relevant quote here:
"---During his stay with the Packers, McCarthy had a huge influence on then backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who went on to play in Seattle, where Thompson served as director of player personnel.

Hasselbeck has spoken many times about McCarthy's off-season "quarterback schools" that stress fundamentals and credited the coach with helping him develop into an NFL quarterback."

I do agree, sitting and learning was crucial for Arod. Alex Smith was forced into duty too early, and behind a terrible roster. May have been partly MM's fault, but he wasn't calling the shots in SF.

Did Favre mentor Rodgers? Not intentionally. Only by giving him time, by setting a kinda of an example, and by way of chip-on-the-shoulder motivation. Favre was quoted by ESPN saying: “My contract doesn’t say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play … I’m not obligated one bit to help anyone.”

Yes, I was careful to use the word "experienced" rather than "success". ;) (Although Delhomme and Hasselbeck and now certainly Rodgers can be considered successes.)

My bad: I meant Gannon, not Delhomme as a success with McCarthy tutelage.

After McCarthy's tutelage Gannon left the Chiefs for Oakland in 1999, and had success, including four probowls. Gannon had this to say about MM: “He’s the guy that really helped catapult my career. He was the guy who really taught me the West Coast system of football. He really taught me how to prepare for a game, taught me how to watch film, how to break down an opponent, how to study. It was really those things I took with me to Oakland. There was never a doubt in my mind he’d be a head coach. He’s a great play-caller, great working with the quarterbacks. He’s a tough guy, a guy willing to do the work, and he’s a leader.”

In 1999, McCarthy left KC to become Green Bay’s QB coach. We had a Top 10 offense that year. Then MM left for five years as Saints OC. Saints had a dominant offense under MM I believe.

So really at what point do you seriously draft or acquire your next starter ? In a perfect world you really want the next guy in to sit and learn for 3 yrs behind Aaron.

Thoughts ?
This was the topic at hand which seems to have swirled into something totally different sick( can we please get focus) thumbsup

My bad: I meant Gannon, not Delhomme as a success with McCarthy tutelage.

After McCarthy's tutelage Gannon left the Chiefs for Oakland in 1999, and had success, including four probowls. Gannon had this to say about MM: “He’s the guy that really helped catapult my career. He was the guy who really taught me the West Coast system of football. He really taught me how to prepare for a game, taught me how to watch film, how to break down an opponent, how to study. It was really those things I took with me to Oakland. There was never a doubt in my mind he’d be a head coach. He’s a great play-caller, great working with the quarterbacks. He’s a tough guy, a guy willing to do the work, and he’s a leader.”

In 1999, McCarthy left KC to become Green Bay’s QB coach. We had a Top 10 offense that year. Then MM left for five years as Saints OC. Saints had a dominant offense under MM I believe.
Dominate offense in NOLA? 2002 19th. 2003 11th. 2004 14th. Not what I would call dominate. That's as far back as espn stats go. Not sure I give the qb coach credit for a top 10 offense. I'll give that to the OC

Dominate offense in NOLA? 2002 19th. 2003 11th. 2004 14th. Not what I would call dominate. That's as far back as espn stats go. Not sure I give the qb coach credit for a top 10 offense. I'll give that to the OC
In 2002 Saints led NFC in points and TDs. But yeah, dominant is overstating it! I was thinking in regards to where the Saints had been prior to MM. Also in 1999, I know you can't give full credit to MM for a top 10 offense, but with MM as QB coach that year Favre had his third best year which certainly helped towards being top 10.

I'm not sure what I'm arguing about here anymore, LOL. I don't care for MM's propensity to go conservative far too soon as that cost us critical games. But as far as developing a QB and being an offensive mind, he's darn good! JMO...

Last edited:
This was the topic at hand which seems to have swirled into something totally different sick( can we please get focus) thumbsup
Okay, sorry. oops: I think you constantly have to have a serious "backup as potential serious starter" being developed... not only because your QB may be aging, but that he may get injured. I see Tolzien as a stopgap backup and Hundley as that serious QB we drafted to be developed as a starter.

I think TT is looking each year for QB prospects, if the right guy falls to them and he is a value at the time they draft him. Hundley did look decent but like others Ski has to see more before anointing him the next savior.

So to answer now going forward because QB are very tough to find but I think Aaron plays out the next 3 seasons and at 36 they start pushing hard for a youngling.tc(

Never really understood the agnst on Tedford. Very few if any NFL qbs are ready day 1 and don't need the coaching on a pro level. I think it's more important that the system is pro style. Perfect example Alex Smith. Boller was a average at best qb maybe below but his pro coach was supposed to be an offensive genius. Lot of factots to consider.

If I recall correctly in that draft after SF picked Smith none of the other teams appeared to need a QB. Some giggle at MN for passing twice but they had a still healthy Culpepper back then. But this shows the flaws in only drafting for need and not BPA. Thank God the Vikes passed!

Packinatl, I think it's fair to (try) to argue, MM isn't, in fact, a QB guru.

You can go back through the guys he has coached and find ways to emphasize the failures and either to say someone's success wasn't his doing or that they didn't develop enough. If you choose to hate a coach, you can ALWAYS argue good players made him, he didn't make players good.

But there's plenty of evidence that he did/has a reputation for being great as a QB coach.

Here's a long article on MM's influence on Arod, also touching on the innovation aspect: http://grantland.com/features/aaron...green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

"McCarthy may be the latest QB guru". Re-posted Press-Gazette article from 2008: http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/news/story_731ac46946cb/

"Education of a Quarterback" from NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/s...cation-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html?_r=1

MM's rep coaching QBs was noted when he was hired. From JSOnline's Jan 11 2006 "Packers set to hire Mike McCarthy as new head coach" -story:

But Packinatl is right that McCarthy was hired before we drafted Rodgers. But Mike also helped make Aaron into the QB we see today. It will be interesting to see what advances Hundley has made so far.

Back