The Starting 5: Wisconsin vs. Chicago State preview

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
That crazy time between Christmas and New Year’s is here, and if you’re like most of us here at talking10 chances are you only count your days in bowl games and basketball games. Luckily for you, the Badger fans out there, there are three games between the two sports to go between those two big holidays. Up first is Badger basketball playing host to Chicago State tonight from the Kohl...

Source

Continue reading...

I wasn't overly impressed with the Badgers win over Chicago State. For some reason, the influences from Bo Ryan seem to have disappeared. They aren't moving the ball like they should, and I blame it on the fact that they're standing still, instead of transitioning to different spots on the floor, to create mismatches. That's coaching, not the players.

I do like how all the freshmen are growing in their games, but I don't like how they aren't exploiting their opponents by driving to the bucket. Only Davison seems to have that in mind, when he's in the game.

I also would like to see a lot more of Iverson moving to the rim like he did against Chicago State. It creates dishes for Happ when he gets double teamed.

They're getting better. They might even win half or more of their Big 10 games.

I'll disagree a little TW. I think the Bo Ryan influence is still there but it's a little different with Gard. They did move and moved the ball in stretches. It's how they built a nice lead at one point. I think the biggest problem is youth and inexperience. You have 4 new starters out there, some who have started less than a handful of games. I agree with what you are saying/seeing, I'm just not sure it's on the coaches.

I think the biggest problem is the the inexperience shows up regularly and that they just don't know what they are doing yet in real games. At times they are completely lost, especially when teams switch up their defenses. Some of that is on Gard, but sometimes despite what's been coached, young players panic - other than Davison who is just a "rock" out there for his teammates. Davison is still young despite his composure, Ford is green as grass, and now that Reuvers, McGrory and Schlundt are getting most of the minutes as part of the top-8 rotation, they are probably the least experienced rotation in the Big-10. It's just plain gonna be ugly for stretches this year.

Seems like Gard has made the choice to move ahead with the youngsters this year because Thomas, Van Vliet, and Illikainen just aren't giving him anything. It'll actually be interesting to see what happens when Trice is able to play again. Does he return to starting, or is Davison the new starter at point.

I'll disagree a little TW. I think the Bo Ryan influence is still there but it's a little different with Gard. They did move and moved the ball in stretches. It's how they built a nice lead at one point. I think the biggest problem is youth and inexperience. You have 4 new starters out there, some who have started less than a handful of games. I agree with what you are saying/seeing, I'm just not sure it's on the coaches.

I think the biggest problem is the the inexperience shows up regularly and that they just don't know what they are doing yet in real games. At times they are completely lost, especially when teams switch up their defenses. Some of that is on Gard, but sometimes despite what's been coached, young players panic - other than Davison who is just a "rock" out there for his teammates. Davison is still young despite his composure, Ford is green as grass, and now that Reuvers, McGrory and Schlundt are getting most of the minutes as part of the top-8 rotation, they are probably the least experienced rotation in the Big-10. It's just plain gonna be ugly for stretches this year.

Seems like Gard has made the choice to move ahead with the youngsters this year because Thomas, Van Vliet, and Illikainen just aren't giving him anything. It'll actually be interesting to see what happens when Trice is able to play again. Does he return to starting, or is Davison the new starter at point.

You're probably right. I might be putting a little too much responsibility for some of the things they're doing on the coaches. These kids are still learning, and your comment about them seeing a bit lost at times when defenses change makes a lot of sense. We could expect this with the freshmen, particularly.

What I really like about this team is the quality of this freshman class. It's excellent. Reuvers, King, McGlory, Ford, Davison, and Pritzl just a sophomore. That's a solid nucleus for the future. Even after Happ leaves, I see Reuvers stepping up and being every bit as productive. He's solid, and getting stronger every day.

On Schlundt, he has a sweet outside shot. I wonder how good he can get in a short period of time. I see him as being a little like Pritzl last year.

To be honest, I think Trice is a misfit in our offense. Sorry to say it, but he is. He can't drive the lane like he should, and seems to lack the emotions of a player like Davison, who will pick the team up with his hustle, and chatter.

I was talking to a friend, about a week ago, who's from Indiana, and we talked about my wife's cousin who played for Purdue, and in the NBA. Rick Mount. I see a lot of Mount in Davison. You either have it in your DNA or you don't.

Ahhh, yes, Rick Mount.

As a kid in Milwaukee area back in the day, I was a Marquette fan. I'd see Al McGuire in the neighborhood and I grew up around his kids so it seemed like a good idea to be a Warrior fan.

I recall Marquette being in the NCAA tournament and they had to play Purdue for a shot at a final-4 and as I recall, Mount took them down with a last minute shot. Hell of a player.

It was '69, at the old Field House in Madison. NCAA tourney. A jump shot at the end of OT. Marquette's biggies were Ric Cobb, and Dean "The Dream" Meminger. I've always wondered how Rick & Pistol Pete Maravich would have ended up, if there was a 3 point line, when they were in HS, and college. They could light it up from outside.

Saw both play in person. Never saw two guys who could stop quicker, and go straight up, and let a shot go from over their head, as well as those two could. If I recall, in the year Purdue beat Marquette in the NCAA, Rick averaged over 30 points a game, and was over 50% with FGs.

Back