The Great Places To Eat In Wisconsin Thread

Discussion in 'Curley's Pub' started by Mark87, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 2
    Essen Haus/Come Back Inn is great for you guys who've said that already.

If you get there early enough, Mickies Dairy Bar right by Camp Randall is the absolute best cure for drinking too much the night before. Good, cheap, plentiful breakfast dishes.

You like dives, my favorite place is Eddie's Alehouse in Sun Prairie. Dexter's just past E. Wash and Milwaukee St is good too.
    http://www.eddiesalehouse.com/

Buck and Honey's in Sun Prairie is a place I used to work, a very 'supper club' type feel
    http://buckandhoneys.com/

2. Terranimal

Terranimal Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0
    Well we must know each other then Crease. B-)

Ever tried Gus's in Sun Prairie/ Token Creek? I haven't yet but hear its good. There are a bunch of bars that have good breakfast deals but are like one day out of the month and hard to keep track of with either a Prime Rib or Walleye breakfast like Club LaMark or Willows.

Don't usually recommend them, but forgot to mention PINE CONE truckstop 51 & 90/39. Great breakfast 24/7. Have buds that cook there on 1st and 2nd shift. Just don't make it over that way very often so forgot to mention it.

CD...Lols My Grandfather and dad used to their own for family and relatives. We had relatives that owned the Viking at one point and also Al Johnson's was a relative too....but haven't been up there since '01.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 2
    I've been. Milkshakes are good, pretty standard fare otherwise. Not that it's bad

4. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 0
    last year, my wife and i were visiting my sister and brother-in-law who live in hartford. my wife is korean, and a pretty finicky about the things she eats. we've been out to diner several times in wisconsin and she usually ends up leaving half her food on the plate. my brother-in-law is one of the kindest and caring people i know. he happens to be friends with the chef at pike lake house in hartford, and he called ahead to ask his friend if he could whip up something special for my wife. my wife loves mussels and angel hair pasta and a spicy red sauce. while this isn't a regular menu item, all of the ingredients are part of other dishes that are on the menu. my wife absolutely loved the meal. and the portion was so huge that she took home enough for lunch the next day. i ordered the bbq ribs, and they were awesome. everyone in our party of 16 loved their meal. they also have a great wine selection and they have a pub in the basement that also serves pub food. anyway, i highly recommend the place if you're ever in the area.

5. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +787 / 0
    Never heard of a fish boil, had to look it up. That just ain't right...sick(

6. Terranimal

Terranimal Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0
    Its like a double boil and needs to be experienced. Its also a a Scandinavia thing done with new red potatoes, onions, and white fish and drawn butter over everything once done. :)

7. 57packer

57packer 2017 Draft Guru

Ratings:
    +609 / 1
    I don't eat out a bunch and I'm not a gourmet by any stretch. I'm fine with a good solid meal and decent service. Places I kinda go to with some regularity are :

Dorf Haus - Roxbury. Solid German food and a very good fish fry served family style. Bartenders know what they are doing at this place.
    Fish Tales - Lodi. Good seafood. Good drinks. Nice outdoor patio. Another place with good bartenders.
    Simpson's - Waupaca. Not particularly special, but I've always had a good meal there.
    Crossings - New London/Weyauwega area. I've only been there for the fish fry - good meal and good value.
    Silver Birch Supper Club - Tomahawk. Nice older place but very clean with some modern touches and a nice lake view and good food. Sometimes they have a piano player for entertainment.
    Pine Tree Supper Club - Tomahawk. Classic up north supper club on main street. Not being on a lake kind of takes away from the atmosphere, but the food is consistently good.

8. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +844 / 11
    Simpson's in Waupaca. I ate a lot of meals there a long time ago. We lived just outside King on the Chain O Lakes. My Grandmother lived at the Veterans Home, and we'd go to Simpsons for special occasions. It was her favorite place.

It's amazing how a restaurant can endure. The last time I was in there was 1968. It's been 48 years. Great memory though.

9. Mark87

Mark87 Carpe Diem Admin

Ratings:
    +1,282 / 0
    Just an FYI TW it just went up for sale... I am a Waupaca county native, 24 yrs living there and Simpsons was my dad's favorite place. They served a broiled walleye in butter that was next to none. Hopefully the new owners carry on the tradition. (Small world TW)

10. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +844 / 11
    They had great fish back in the 60s too. My Dad, when he came to visit, always had the walleye. He said his mouth started watering when he left Northwestern Wisconsin, on the way over. Your post brought back so many great memories for me. I appreciate that.