Speed/distance calculation

TW

Reaction score
The difference between 4.3 and 4.5 speed in the 40 yard dash means that the guy running at the faster speed will arrive there 14 inches ahead of the guy at 4.5.

Include your work. :) Been a long time since I could even challenge the concept of "why learn algebra?", but I'm showing the slower runner is more like 62 inches behind.

40 yards in 4.5 seconds = (to one decimal point) 8.9 YPS
40 in 4.3 = 9.3 YPS

At 4.3 seconds, as the faster one hits the tape, the slower one has 8.9 x 4.3 = 38.27, or 1.73 yards to go.

I think I know where the 14 inches came from (no funny remarks, please :)). That's the difference between them in .2 seconds. However, the faster one has been gaining at that rate since the beginning, 4.3 seconds ago. As always, ready for rebuttal. :)

Last edited:
Straight line speed in gym shorts is different than game speed with pads on. No secret there.

Precision in running routes, getting in and out of breaks on passing routes, and selling the DB on a move/fake is what creates separation. Some are better than others at this.

This is why Davante Adams has become a successful (and highly paid) WR in the NFL, even though he ran a 4.56 "40" at the Combine.

In the FWIW category, here's some Combine/Pro Day numbers comparisons from the 2014 draft class.

Jared Abbrederis - "40"/4.50; 3-cone/6.80; 20-shuttle/4.08
Davante Adams - "40"/4.56; 3-cone/6.82; 20-shuttle/4.30
Brandin Cooks - "40"/4.33; 3-cone/6.76; 20-shuttle/3.81
Sammy Watkins - "40"/4.43; 3-cone/6.95; 20-shuttle/4.34
Taylor Grabriel - "40"/4.40; 3-cone/6.84; 20-shuttle/4.21

Gosh, we finally get a thread that's just about facts, and even here, there's disagreement. :)

So a 4.5 corner can cover a 4.3 receiver just fine on a go route as long as his arms are 1.73 yards longer than the average corners arms. Got it.

You can't assess it on the basis of a 40 yard dash. A dash does not include cuts, having to come off someone at the line of scrimmage, or the fact that the average release time for a QB is in the range of 2.5 to 3.0 seconds. You don't have the luxury of a straight line 40 yard dash to work with, and when you do, it's very rare.

Look at the average yards per catch in the NFL, and you'll be able to break the time factor down more significantly than you are if you get hooked on this idea that you win because you have fleas racing down the sideline.

Don't get me wrong, you need one. If you look in that list of the fastest guys, the theory that blinding speed is purely the answer is total BS.

When I coached, I wanted some speed, but I was more interested in a guy being able to run his routes, know how to position his body between defenders and the QB so he'd be the one catching the ball, and his ability to innovate, if the play broke down, and the QB was scrambling, looking for an outlet.

I stick to my statement about the 14 inches. The figures Half Empty put up are correct, if it's a no pads, straight line, nothing in my way straight line run, but running pass routes is rarely a fly route, and when guys are on the field that can run them, teams usually know how to handle them with coverage over the top. They miss at times, but more often than not, it's an INC.

Check out these NextGen Stats. You'll see that NFL QBs get somewhere between 2.5 to 3.0 seconds to release the ball, and when a man is running a route, 14-15 inches is about the only difference you'll get. NextGen QB Stats

Wait, aren't you the one that brought up the statement of the difference in a pure 40 yard dash? If you want to discuss all the rest of the last post, there are threads that already do that.

Wait, aren't you the one that brought up the statement of the difference in a pure 40 yard dash? If you want to discuss all the rest of the last post, there are threads that already do that.

After going back over the math, it is about 60 inches, not 14. I still don't see that as being relevant. If you look at the average time QBs have, and the average distance of passes they make, these guys are getting about 1/4 of that distance, or less, on the average pass, so we're back to that 14 to 15 inch difference at passing distance.

But, it don't matter. If it floats your boat to believe that blazing speed is what you need, that's what you should have. Personally, I always liked having controlled speed, good pass routes, and the ability to fight off defenders. Add in good hands, and the ability to protect the ball, and you've got the real package.

Wait a minute. Where in this thread (or anywhere else, for that matter) have I indicated in any what that I think speed is the only component? The OP incorrectly stated something, the (apparent) implication being that a 4.5 guy would still be right in the hip pocket of a 4.3 guy after 40 yards. I noted that the math was faulty, and that was my only comment. As I mentioned, if you want to continue to talk about something that was not part of the original post, there is a "WRs" thread open, which you obviously know about, since the last post in it (at the moment) is yours, with the same "speed doesn't make a WR" comment. Yes, I'm POed, perhaps childishly so, because I took the time to respond to your original post, which you now wave off as irrelevant. There are enough posters in the other forums that move the goalposts when an argument goes south - I'd gotten too comfortable with that not being the case here.

Wait a minute. Where in this thread (or anywhere else, for that matter) have I indicated in any what that I think speed is the only component? The OP incorrectly stated something, the (apparent) implication being that a 4.5 guy would still be right in the hip pocket of a 4.3 guy after 40 yards. I noted that the math was faulty, and that was my only comment. As I mentioned, if you want to continue to talk about something that was not part of the original post, there is a "WRs" thread open, which you obviously know about, since the last post in it (at the moment) is yours, with the same "speed doesn't make a WR" comment. Yes, I'm POed, perhaps childishly so, because I took the time to respond to your original post, which you now wave off as irrelevant. There are enough posters in the other forums that move the goalposts when an argument goes south - I'd gotten too comfortable with that not being the case here.

Whoa! I stated you were right on the distance difference in a straight line run. As far as my posting that even with that difference, there's not as much of a spread between the 4.3 and 4.5 in a game situation. I stand by that, but wasn't posting it as an "affront to you," even if you viewed it that way.

At no time was I trying to "move the goal posts," as you suggested. Nor was I dismissing you. If that's what you thought, I apologize for you feeling that way. It was never intended.

As far as some of the other boards, I couldn't agree more. I don't bully people, and rest assured, nobody is going to bully me either.

Back