Silverstein: Packers' loyalty to Brett Hundley misguided

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Silverstein: Packers' loyalty to Brett Hundley misguided

Thompson should continue to focus on only one aspect of player acquisition and McCarthy should stubbornly stand behind a backup quarterback who through eight starts plays like he’s a hologram programmed only to do two things: scramble and throw the ball away out of bounds and overthrow receivers running deep.
The recipe for finishing the home portion of your schedule in utter humiliation was written during the offseason when Thompson did little more than replace his free-agent losses with players kicked to the curb by their previous teams.
It also ignored the possibility that the quarterback he and McCarthy had been banking on to fill Aaron Rodgers’ shoes should the unthinkable happen wasn’t good enough to throw a single touchdown pass in five home starts. It brazenly called for the most promising of the three backups in training camp, Taysom Hill, to be released.

Wow. that was from the GBPG website (MJS article)...

More than likely he just obstinately refused to admit he was wrong about a guy who gets sent back to Go every time it seems like he might make it past Baltic Avenue.

If McCarthy had bothered to look around and see the body language of some of his players as Hundley continually refused to maneuver inside the pocket or spot open receivers when he did leave the pocket, he would have seen a defeated team.

rofl(

Wow! That's cutting it loose!

Good article. Change needs to happen. I don't care that your franchise, future HOF QB was injured, this team was exposed.

Last edited:
Am I hearing correctly that the Packers violated league rules by putting Aaron back on IR with the same injury. I’ve read from it could cost them a high pick to having to release Rodgers. Wouldn’t he go to waivers? Cleveland must be drooling.

If that’s the case, Ted and Co., needs to go NOW! How can you not know the rules any better than that??? Bad enough he can’t build a defense to save his life. This is literally embarrassing! FP(

Am I hearing correctly that the Packers violated league rules by putting Aaron back on IR with the same injury.

He was medically cleared, ergo he goes on IR with a new injury.

For example, say he was cleared, healed, played, and broke the same collarbone in the exact same place. Nobody would be saying that it's the same injury even though it's the exact same injury.

For example, say he was cleared, healed, played, and broke the same collarbone in the exact same place. Nobody would be saying that it's the same injury even though it's the exact same injury.
But it's not being called a new or different injury. From what I've read and heard, they just put him back on IR with the same collarbone injury. There was no claim by the Packers that he re-injured it. Is that not correct?

He wasn't on the medical report to the league so their story doesn't add up.

It's inconceivable to me that McCarthy and Thompson could be so stupid as to allow themselves to even be caught up in a situation like this. Although it more than likely won't happen, it could cost them the best QB that's ever played the game for the Green Bay Packers. To me, that's beyond ignorance, it's a total lack of comprehension of the rules, and the ramifications of decisions they make.

The board needs to look at this issue with a jaundiced eye, and realize that this leadership group is unraveling, and needs to be relieved of their duties.

As Mark indicated, there was no medical report given to the league, and no injury reported in any way, that would warrant Rodgers been put on IR. After all these years, these people still don't understand the rules?

It's up to Murphy to make the right moves now, and if he can't pull the trigger, it's time for him to hit the road too. We cannot watch this team deteriorate through ignorance.

I do not see any punishment for this and think some reactions are a bit going overboard. The league has to approve all transactions before being allowed and this is one of them. If the Packers did something wrong, this would not ever have been approved. When is the first injury report for the week released? Is it Tuesday? If so, the same day he was put on the IR, so of course he would not be on the injury report. Teams will always complain about any little thing if they think they can stir the pot for another team. Not worried about this at all and see no punishment for it.

Back