Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will have 2-3 void years tacked on. No contract this size is “cap friendly” long ter
Could it just not be 4 year Ext with cap spread out over 5 years and it's up to the Packers to deal with it if he retires after 2?

I'm neither glad or sad about this. I disagree with this path, but I'm not going to say it's a complete disaster.

The positives are that you have a top level QB signed that has the "potential" to win every game and win a championship. You also know that they will field a solid team this year, and maybe next. They may make decisions I disagree with but they're not completely incompetent in the FO. They likely have a plan to rework deals and make-over the roster like crazy over the coming week(s) to go all-in again and fit things under the CAP. (If they don't, then they are idiots. You don't sign a QB to a massive deal and then gut the team.)

The negatives are that you can't hide CAP hits forever. This is all going to come due one day and it may not be pretty. Sure the CAP can go up, BUT, it goes up for everyone and while the other teams are using their CAP to pay good players, you are dumping your CAP into dead CAP hits on players who no longer play for you. Not a formula for winning. The worst negatives are that AR could get hurt again leaving you with an expensive roster that can't win games, or AR's skills could hit a wall like Brees and Big Ben and suddenly you are a 8-10 win team without a chance to go deep in the playoffs, or he could retire in a year or two leaving you holding the bag and making things ugly if you try to re-coup bonus money.

It'll be interesting to see the structure of the deal to see just how/when the Packers will take it in the shorts.

Also, I doubt they trade Love at this point unless they get a great offer, which they likely won't. Let him play in the pre-season and hope like crazy he looks good, is probably their only option. Let's remember that continuing to "develop" him is a 2-edged sword. He could put good stuff on film making him more tradeable or making you extend him, OR he could put bad stuff on film - making him worthless to other teams and the Packers. There is no guarantee he'll develop in a positive direction.

Oh well, on to free agency and the draft. Choices have been made, time to build the roster and hope for the best. It all doesn't feel right to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

FA Packers won't exist Rodgers and Adams are their FA they will likely find the cash to tender their ERFA and RFA and that's it. Any UFA is walking out the door unless they agree to a cheap 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back