Rodgers and the rookie WRs

Budman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Legend In His Own Mind
Reaction score
I posted this in shout but wanted some further opinions on Aaron's comments.

Rodgers on the rookie WRs, “They’re bigger guys that can run, but the key is, like we’ve always said here with young receivers, you have to put yourself in a position to get reps with me and then be very sound on your assignment and make some plays,” Rodgers said. “That’s how you get a chance to get out there and play (with the first string).”

Now, in and of itself, I understand what he is saying. He doesn't like mistakes. Holds himself and his WRs to the highest standards etc. Maybe I'm parsing words or reading too much into it but this is the part of the quote that has me confused, "you have to put yourself in a position to get reps with me and then be very sound on your assignment and make some plays,”

How do they put themselves in a position to get reps with him? I would figure being very sound on assignments would get you reps but Rodgers lists this after putting themselves in a position to get reps. So how do you get in position? Does AR need to see positive attitude, work ethic as far as take study, knowledge of playbook? What do you guys think?

As I said, I might be reading to much into it or taking his words out of context but I found that quote interesting.

I hate that line of reasoning. You're on a team. The best way to get your WR to get better for game day is to practice with the QB who will be throwing the ball... it's called chemistry.

Makes him sound like he is putting himself on a pedastel. As opposed to Favre who didn't care who he was throwing to. Even admitted once to not knowing all the names of the guys in the huddle.

I hate that line of reasoning. You're on a team. The best way to get your WR to get better for game day is to practice with the QB who will be throwing the ball... it's called chemistry.

Makes him sound like he is putting himself on a pedastel. As opposed to Favre who didn't care who he was throwing to. Even admitted once to not knowing all the names of the guys in the huddle.

Exactly how I read it. I know printed words can be taken out of context , So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

All I get out of that is A. MM is still running the same rhythm-based passing scheme, so much for "changes". B. His Majesty still wants guys to kiss his hinder so they can play.

Same old Same old sh))

All I get out of that is A. MM is still running the same rhythm-based passing scheme, so much for "changes". B. His Majesty still wants guys to kiss his hinder so they can play.

Same old Same old sh))

Wonder if Arod ever skipped an open wr cause they didn't run the proper route.. lol

Maybe I read too much into things.

I don't see a happy Rodgers. I still believe he's unhappy about the way Nelson was treated. I believe it goes back to last year when he was pushed to the back by McCarthy, in favor of others, kind of like he was Rodgers boy, not his.

I don't believe Rodgers is interested in doing anything favorable to the front office at this point, because he considered Nelson an important cog in their success.

Over the last two plus years, I've watched the Packers front office peel Rodgers friends away, one after another, just dumping them, and trading them, as if to isolate him.

I think it's a terrible mistake and the Packers will pay for it. It starts with his contract. Pay, or else he opts out of GB.

I don't believe we're going to see the old Rodgers this year to be honest. They'll blame it on the injury, but I think the love of team is pretty much gone on his part. He may say the words, and pile up some personal stats, but as of now, it's nothing more than a game, and I expect his home to go up for sale during the next year.

Maybe I read too much into things.

I don't see a happy Rodgers. I still believe he's unhappy about the way Nelson was treated. I believe it goes back to last year when he was pushed to the back by McCarthy, in favor of others, kind of like he was Rodgers boy, not his.

I don't believe Rodgers is interested in doing anything favorable to the front office at this point, because he considered Nelson an important cog in their success.

Over the last two plus years, I've watched the Packers front office peel Rodgers friends away, one after another, just dumping them, and trading them, as if to isolate him.

I think it's a terrible mistake and the Packers will pay for it. It starts with his contract. Pay, or else he opts out of GB.

I don't believe we're going to see the old Rodgers this year to be honest. They'll blame it on the injury, but I think the love of team is pretty much gone on his part. He may say the words, and pile up some personal stats, but as of now, it's nothing more than a game, and I expect his home to go up for sale during the next year.

TW, I don't think that's a far fetched line of thinking. I had seen an article where they asked Rodgers if Dez might be signed and he said that they don't pay him to make those decisions, that he's just paid to play QB. That's not the first time he's said that since Jordy left. You may be right.

In some ways, it reminds me of the later years of Favre where he became the old guy and didnt really have anyone in his inner circle. I'm also reminded of a few comments made to me, from someone who was very close to someone who was very close to Rodgers (I know that sounds weird and I'm not claiming to be in the know about all the Packers inner workings) but this person said Rodgers and the young guys couldn't give a rats ass what Favre thought. They basically dissed him off as the old guy. It might be karma.

Yeah Aaron sounds pretty grouchy. Clay sounds grouchy. Jordy had been pretty grouchy for the past 2 years.

Lots of grouchy veterans who are supposed to be your leaders, perpetually grouchy coach. Doesn't seem like a great place to work right now.

Yeah Aaron sounds pretty grouchy. Clay sounds grouchy. Jordy had been pretty grouchy for the past 2 years.

Lots of grouchy veterans who are supposed to be your leaders, perpetually grouchy coach. Doesn't seem like a great place to work right now.

You might be on to something. I never really thought of it like that. It was surprising to read CM3's comments. It might not be all lollipops and rainbows inside 1265.

Well, with the report that Rodgers expects Davante to get a lot more snaps from the slot this year, it makes you think they may be hoping/planning that two of the group (Clark, Moore, MVS, and ESB) are going to be reliable enough to play the boundary WR's and let Adams and Graham dominate the middle of the field.

Adams in the slot

Back