Proof that it takes more than speed

TW

Reaction score
John Ross was picked 9th in the draft. He had blazing speed. Six years later, he's out of the NFL. Speed doesn't necessarily relate to being a solid receiver.

If I was to make a guess, and it's just that, Ross has a problem relating to what he sees in front of him. He doesn't react to coverages the way he should. That translates into INTs, if you throw the ball in his direction. He would be out of position, way too often. This seems to be a problem with a lot of the really fast guys out there. They can't grasp their assignments.

John Ross was picked 9th in the draft. He had blazing speed. Six years later, he's out of the NFL. Speed doesn't necessarily relate to being a solid receiver.

If I was to make a guess, and it's just that, Ross has a problem relating to what he sees in front of him. He doesn't react to coverages the way he should. That translates into INTs, if you throw the ball in his direction. He would be out of position, way too often. This seems to be a problem with a lot of the really fast guys out there. They can't grasp their assignments.

I think it’s like a pitcher with his fastball. Any pro batter can eventually time his swing to hit even a 100mph pitch. What makes it effective is the ability to change the speed from the same delivery.

Likewise speed, sure you can take an end around to the house and that has value, but to actually play WR you need to run routes, cut them sharply, present different routes the same way to a DB so they can’t guess.

Back