Post-Game Thread: The Packers beat Carolina 33-30

Merry Christmas Everyone!

It seems like I could write the same thing for the third straight week. Happy with the win, but this was another disappointing performance. They played well on offense especially considering they were missing some big pieces yet again. The defense was horrible in almost every way. Players, coaches, scheme . . . it all sucks. Things better change in the off-season or they'll start to lose more than just the locker room.

Positives:
- Love was really good today, not great, but solid enough to win the game.
- Wicks continues to impress and today they even got a little juice from Melton.
- Kraft just continues to look like a future Pro-bowler.
- Carlson wasn't perfect, due partly to a poor snap and hold, but he made some important kicks after that.

Negatives:
- The defense - all of it.
- The special teams.

The needed personnel moves continue to stay the same every week. They need at least one CB, two S, and another run-stopping DT. ILB is moving up on my need list as well. They might need 2 of them this off-season. On offense they need another bigger speed guy even if he's a later round one-trick-pony like MVS to take the top off a defense considering how often Watson is unavailable. RB, OT, and OG are also major needs. As I've said before, almost all of these needs have stayed the same since game 1.

Merry Christmas !!

Positives - a much needed win. Vikings lose, but this could be a negative for 2024 scheduling.
Love, Jones, Kraft, Doubs, Wicks and BO MELTON.
Clutch kick by Carlson.
Offense was a well oiled machine in the first half anyway.

Negatives - watching this damned defense week after week.
ST mistakes again. The ST guru is anything but.
Atlanta won.
Seattle won.

ML talked about defense struggling and saying when that happens the offense needs to pick them up move the ball so D can get a breather and how they did not do that. Sounds like he still won't lame blame on crappy DC and D itself.

Also was asked about the coin toss. Did something happen with coin toss today?
It doesn’t matter who the head coach is, he’s not going to go scorched earth on a coordinator in a post-game press conference unless he wants to assure no other qualified coordinator will ever work for him in the future.

Thinking otherwise is putting the dumb in fandumb.

The needed personnel moves continue to stay the same every week. They need at least one CB, two S, and another run-stopping DT. ILB is moving up on my need list as well. They might need 2 of them this off-season. On offense they need another bigger speed guy even if he's a later round one-trick-pony like MVS to take the top off a defense considering how often Watson is unavailable. RB, OT, and OG are also major needs. As I've said before, almost all of these needs have stayed the same since game 1.
thumbsup

It doesn’t matter who the head coach is, he’s not going to go scorched earth on a coordinator in a post-game press conference unless he wants to assure no other qualified coordinator will ever work for him in the future.

This!

Coaches might be seething inside, but they know they can't tear down either a coach or player in public. All you'll ever get is "so-and-so needs to play better"/"we need to coach better". If you plan to hire good coaches and sign good players, you can't really rip guys a new one in front of everyone. They call it coach-speak for a reason.

Well at least it was cool to see Love shine and win a shootout. Why the heck this game was a shootout at all is another story…
We should not expect any different outcome? Only 2 games out of their 7 wins have been by more then one score. That was the Bears who were a mess to start the year and the Rams starting a QB who might not even start a XFL game. Just don't have the talent nor the killer insticnt to put teams away yet. ML needs to get these guys to learn that once you have your foot on someones throat press down.

DVR this game..... rewatched it over coffee while the house was quiet this morning. Some notes on the defense:

1. Our defensive backs are awful, the safeties are overmatched almost on every down. The corners played man straight up as many here crowed about the week before and got whipped. Forget that idea, have to go back to zone or man over combos.
2. The ILB can't cover....anything.
3. Pass rush isn't finishing
4. The scheme was better but the results were not.
5. We tackle like middle school kids

My take is still to fire the coordinator, but I think at least 2 position coaches are also an issue here. We need 2 safeties, at least 1 corner, and 1 ILB. However, a new DC may need more in the front 7 or less. But the first 3, S and CB are 100% a major need.

DVR this game..... rewatched it over coffee while the house was quiet this morning. Some notes on the defense:

1. Our defensive backs are awful, the safeties are overmatched almost on every down. The corners played man straight up as many here crowed about the week before and got whipped. Forget that idea, have to go back to zone or man over combos.
2. The ILB can't cover....anything.
3. Pass rush isn't finishing
4. The scheme was better but the results were not.
5. We tackle like middle school kids

My take is still to fire the coordinator, but I think at least 2 position coaches are also an issue here. We need 2 safeties, at least 1 corner, and 1 ILB. However, a new DC may need more in the front 7 or less. But the first 3, S and CB are 100% a major need.
Mark do we need a ILB or just need to get Campbell healthy? Walker seems like a guy who can fly to the ball.

I do agree though we need to revamp our S and CB as they are just poor. Would love to get Winfield Jr in FA but likely will cost to much.

Also seems all tackling in NFL is poor these days everyone tries either a body or one arm tackles no heads up wrap up and drive thru the tackle anymore.

Mark do we need a ILB or just need to get Campbell healthy? Walker seems like a guy who can fly to the ball.
Haven't seen much out of Campbell this yr regardless, Quay is doing a ton but he needs a twin beside him to solidify the middle. No one can cover TE in the LB corp. Again a lot depends on who comes in as DC and what scheme they run

Back