Post Game Thread : Packers Hang On And Defeat Chargers

you got that right. a seven point win that felt like a loss. and all of my fingernails are gone.

however i'm very confident (perhaps overly so) that we will not lose next week.

Yes, we won't lose cuz we ain't playing. ;)

Wanted to touch on one other thing that's been mentioned in passing. SD was using line ups that consistently found our 3rd CB covering their #1 WR. I don't know if Capers wanted or was ready for this, but the TV commentators talked about conversations with Allen and Rivers before the game and that they claimed to be ready to capitalize on certain matchups they thought they could get. Thank goodness Allen had the hip injury or we might be singing the blues instead of just humming them!

I have a nagging feeling that we still get outcoached sometimes on the defensive side of the ball by innovative Offensive coordinators. It didn't hurt that SD caught almost everything and Rivers was hot as a pistol.

LOL, can you imagine Steve Smith with AR? "I know Steve was open but he didn't answer a question in the classroom on Thursday exactly as I wanted him to, and until he does that then...." ::gets cut off by a baseball bat being swung into his face by Smith::
LOL!!! No kidding! He is a firey lil turd, isn't he?! rofl(

I think we missed Perry's pass rushing too.
Very much agree. Perry has been really good this year. Hated to see him get hurt when he's finally putting it all together. He was definitely missed in the SD game. But Rivers was brilliant and I don't know if anyone could have stopped him. That was an amazing performance. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to the other guy. hof(

I'm willing to have some empty drives if it means we're not turning the ball over by trying to force passes to WRs who don't know what they're doing. Yeah, Favre had some connections to the likes of Billy Schroeder. But as usual people forget about the interceptions.

Oh, I very much doubt anyone is forgetting the interceptions. I still have a finger that will never bend properly from punching a wall.

But it's not that black and white, not that either/or. There's still a lot of middle ground between throwing 6 interceptions in a game and refusing to take a chance at all. You can want Rodgers to try to make more plays without forgetting that Favre threw a lot of interceptions. Obviously nobody wants him to throw the ball up for grabs as much as Favre did, but I don't want a quarterback who's so scared of making a mistake that he's afraid to take a chance. At this level, sometimes you have to take risks you'd rather not take in order to succeed. Fortune favors the bold.

What's exciting is that we're not nearly at our peak yet and we still haven't lost a ballgame.

How do we know we're not at our peak yet? You're only as good as you play. I'll hold off on predicting this team's peak until i see them play at a higher level.

Last edited:
Last year thru 6 games Rodgers was 122-189 for 1419 yards, 15 TDs and 1 INT
This year he is 124-182 for 1491, 15 TDs and 2 INTs.

Last year the Pack was 4-2 thru 6.
Consistent hey?

This is an excellent post and I'm glad you pointed out the perception v. reality thing going on here, but technically, though AR played in 6 games, he played in one fewer quarter because the first 6 last year included a blowout over the Vikings in which Aaron was pulled after the 3rd. So maybe the numbers would be better with a couple extra cracks at it.

On the flip side, though he has 2 INTs this year compared to 1 INT last year, I believe last year at this point he had lost 2 fumbles versus 1 this year, so total turnovers is the same - 3.

I agree, Jeremy. I wonder if some really good receiver could be had cheap (low draft pick)? Someone like a Steve Smith or another really bad team like Tampa willing to part with a vet, like Vincent Jackson? Don't know if Ted would do that. But after awhile you need to do something, I would think.

Hopefully he won't have to. If Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery can all get the healing they need through the bye week, I think we'll be ok. If all else fails, we can always call Moss or T.O. ;)troll)

Oh, I very much doubt anyone is forgetting the interceptions. I still have a finger that will never bend properly from punching a wall.

But it's not that black and white, not that either/or. There's still a lot of middle ground between throwing 6 interceptions in a game and refusing to take a chance at all. You can want Rodgers to try to make more plays without forgetting that Favre threw a lot of interceptions. Obviously nobody wants him to throw the ball up for grabs as much as Favre did, but I don't want a quarterback who's so scared of making a mistake that he's afraid to take a chance. At this level, sometimes you have to take risks you'd rather not take in order to succeed. Fortune favors the bold.

How do we know we're not at our peak yet? You're only as good as you play. I'll hold off on predicting this team's peak until i see them play at a higher level.

The last thing I'm worried about is Rodgers. If a WR has something, Rodgers will pull it out of him. Greg Jennings and James Jones were all but invisible after leaving the Packers. Now Jones, who 2 teams considered expendable, is more productive than ever at age 31.

IMO, the offense is out of sync because 3 of their top 5 WRs are injured, the other 2 are banged up, Lacy is looking like John Kuhn stole his jersey, and they only have 1 functional TE. I think in the short term we're better off accepting a few empty drives rather than adopt Favre's chuck it and pray approach. If we miss a few completions, but save a few turnovers, I think we come out ahead. I could be wrong. I know turnover differential is the single biggest factor in wins and losses. At least that's what Bill Belichick has said, and I tend to believe him.

We've seen the offense play at a high level this year. We've seen the defense play at a high level. We haven't seen them put both together yet. Kansas City is probably the closest we've seen to both units playing well. So I guess I don't know that the team hasn't peaked yet, but I feel pretty confident they're capable of much better when they stop shuffling personnel around and figure out how to be consistent offensively without Jordy and Lacy (who I assume is locked in his twin brother's basement or something).

Hopefully he won't have to. If Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery can all get the healing they need through the bye week, I think we'll be ok. If all else fails, we can always call Moss or T.O. ;)troll)
Egads! Has it gotten that bad?! Glad I wasn't standing on a tall building when I read that! :D

Funny, when I read Jeremy's last post I couldn't help but think, 'if I didn't know better, I would think the Packers are tanking instead of 6-0!' They really have done remarkably well considering all the injuries. Hopefully, they can heal up and stay healthy (especially Aaron!). If they can do that after overcoming all these adversities, I really think they can win it all. All this shuffling may pay dividends later this year. I agreed with Jeremy's post. Spot on, sir!

Back