Post Game Thread : Packers Hang On And Defeat Chargers

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Tough close game...

The ball belonged to quarterback Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers with 2 minutes, 37 seconds remaining. A touchdown was needed to tie the game and, perhaps, force overtime.
So Rivers went to work doing exactly the same thing he had all game long, dicing the defense of the Green Bay Packers for chunks of yards. He connected with tight end Antonio Gates for a first down on the very first play, linked with running back Danny Woodhead one play later to move the sticks yet again.
He went back to Gates a second time, then a third time over the middle to reach the Packers’ 39-yard line.
Then Woodhead for another first down. Gates again over the middle. Pitch and catch against a lethargic, wilting defense.
With his passing yardage soaring above 500 and his pass attempts north of 60, Rivers maneuvered deep into Green Bay territory with the clock dwindling below a minute. He reached the 2-yard line and fired incomplete for Gates.
Third and goal. Woodhead is slammed inside by defensive end Datone Jones for a loss.
Fourth and goal from the 3-yard line, game on the line. Rivers threw right intended for Woodhead, and rookie Damarious Randall knocks the ball away.
The Packers survive, 27-20, and remain undefeated.

Player of the Game: Philip Rivers. Despite missing 60% of the starters along the offensive line, Rivers was at his very best Sunday and showed why he is among the elite at the quarterback position. In blending quick passes with longer heaves Rivers both neutralized the pass rush of the Packers and took advantage of a secondary that was suspect when asked to cover for more than a few seconds. He finished with herculean numbers: 43-of-65 for 503 yards and two touchdowns.

Turning point: With Rivers and the Chargers marching down the field for an easy touchdown on their opening possession of the second half, connecting on passes for gains of 50 yards, 14 yards and 19 yards, a game the Packers controlled early was suddenly tied. Yet despite another injury to a key offensive player — receiver Ty Montgomery — and without much of anything from tailback Eddie Lacy, the offense responded with a gutty 7-play, 69-yard drive for a touchdown. Rodgers strung together lengthy completions to Randall Cobb and John Kuhn, while James Starks gobbled up important chunks on the ground. The drive ended when Rodgers connected with James Jones on a back-shoulder throw for an 8-yard touchdown that gave the Packers a 24-17 lead.

Big number: 14 — Receptions for Chargers’ wide receiver Keenan Allen, whose terrific hands and routes shredded the secondary all game long. Allen came into Sunday with two games of 12-plus catches already this season, and he nearly matched that feat in the first half. Allen had more catches by halftime (11) than the Packers did as a team (9). He left the game in the second half due to injury, returning briefly, and finished with 157 receiving yards.

What went right: While their pass rush was largely absent, the Packers put together yet another impressive performance defending the run for the third time in the last four games. Running backs Marshawn Lynch, Carlos Hyde and now former Wisconsin star Melvin Gordon were all stifled. Gordon, drafted in the first round by the Chargers, carried just seven times for 29 yards and fumbled twice, which sent him to the bench in favor of Branden Oliver and Danny Woodhead. But the substitutions paid little in the way of dividends for the Chargers, who finished with 60 yards rushing as a team and became entirely one-dimensional. Quarterback Philip Rivers carried the offense almost by himself.

What went wrong: After entering Sunday with 20 sacks as a team, and after bludgeoning quarterbacks Nick Foles and Colin Kaepernick the previous two games, the Packers’ pass rush was almost nonexistent for the first three quarters against the Chargers. Gone were the unblockable rushes off the edge from the likes of Julius Peppers, Mike Neal and Jayrone Elliott, and in their place were plenty of clean pockets for Philip Rivers. The absence of nose tackle B.J. Raji, who missed the game with a groin injury, was noticeable as well. Rivers responded beautifully, slinging the football with ease to all parts of the field. He reached 300 yards on the first possession of the second half and finished 43-of-65 for 503 yards and two touchdowns. And don’t forget the Chargers were missing three starters along the offensive line.

Last edited:
Well, a good win but definitely some glaring issues.

Defense

Once again it rears its ugly head. I thought this defense was dead and gone but not so. It came back in huge fashion.

Offense

We continue to show how much we miss Jordy Nelson. Our WR's continue to not get open and AR continues to not trust certain WR's.

There are the two things that really bugged me tonight:

1) Starks- He only touched the ball 10 times and he had over 100 yards rushing. He was taken out of the game numerous times for Lacy when Lacy showed nothing. Why? bh(

2) Defensive Adjustments- We continued to allow the Chargers to throw crossing routes and to the RB's out of the backfield all night. They torched us in both these areas. Why were there no adjustments made? rt(

Were 6-0 and need to get healthy. Long break is definitely needed. pc)

I am not unhappy with Packers defense - even if they were not "supernaturals" this week - they did many good things including ending the game without San Diego beating us. Still many names being called on the defense. Guys are contributing. Got to give credit to maybe the Chargers had some type of game plan for the Packers defense. They gutted it out and were on the field most of the game. Our offense has some really fun plays like Starks at 65 yards and enough scoring to win. I do feel like they are still in a sputter. I moan the loss of Montgomery and hoping not too bad. That youngster is versatile and can plug-in in various locations. Rodgers games when he does a lot of those shovel passes that the Packers got mostly very lucky with today it means to me that ARODG is not at 100% Aaron Rodgers healthy.

As a fan I could never have gutted out this game by myself. Thank goodness for this football board. Packers defense at totally gassed finally got some sacks in on Rivers in the late 4th and our offense allowed Aaron to be sacked too dang much. He is our world class QB and he has to be protected. The offense seemed to have drops (I cannot see - I listen to the radio.)

I never could by into how banged up San Diego were so Packers should skate this win. What I forgot is that Rivers is a journeyman QB too and enough experience at 12 years or so to manage a game with calls at the line and giving directions sort of like Aaron on one of his great football days. Rivers was unrelenting - Packers gassed defense had "just enough" to seal the win. Packers offense were not nearly on the field enough - enough to score - but not enough to even attempt a dominating type game. SO GLAD THE PACKERS NOW HAVE A WEEK OFF! - Kaye

ADD-IN Suspecting a lotta bang-ups we in some way are not aware of for the Packers. We gonna need as many as possible HEALTHY!

If I was told 2 months ago that the Packers were going to win a game playing Janis, Abby, and Perrillo while giving up 500 yards passing I would have said no way in heck. Perfect time for the bye, need to get Adams, Raji, Perry, Burnet, Quarless back and hope Ty isn't injured too bad.

I'm glad we have the bye but the wish Denver didn't. Manning has been crap and now he has a chance to rest and regroup. But it will come down to our offense vs. their defense in a tough venue

I'm glad we have the bye but the wish Denver didn't. Manning has been crap and now he has a chance to rest and regroup. But it will come down to our offense vs. their defense in a tough venue

AGREE Mile High is TOUGH VENUE - HOWEVER - ALL The Road Games are now going to be really challenging about 4 weeks after bye week. (Do not have exact schedule in front of me this minute.) Very hard to listen to this game and see Packers struggle so to grind this win out at home. - Kaye

thumbsup

James Starks - 10 carries for 112 yards and 1 TD
Jeff Janis - 2 catches for 79 yards and great block on Starks' TD.
Aaron Rodgers - 255 yards and 2 TD's with a really depleted offense.
Nate Palmer - 9 tackes and 2 assists.
Randall - Up and down game but 2 big plays late, including the last one.
Datone Jones - Key sack and tackle for loss late in game

thumbsdown))

Pass defense - Not sure who to single out. Just couldn't get off the field.
Clements - Abandoned the running game for a long stretch.

Why can't we run the offense that San Diego ran? There was nothing fancy, they completed about 30 slants and another 10 passes on crossing routes. You don't need separation on slants, you just need to get inside the DB. And crossing routes take some time to develop but are almost impossible to cover.

Overall, it wasn't our best game but a win is a win and an ugly win is way better than a pretty loss. Rodgers looked more like a game manager today than an MVP candidate and our D gave up a million yards, yet they found a way to win. This is a game we would have lost in past years, so it really makes me excited for this season because I know the offense will eventually figure it out.

The only real issue I had with the offense was that we didn't run it nearly enough against a defense that ranked dead last against the run. Seriously, 10 carries for Starks? When he had 100+ and was averaging nearly 11 YPC? That's inexcusable.

It's almost as if Rodgers was trying to force the ball downfield in an attempt to try and get the defense to respect the big play. Too many times it resulted in incompletions and him holding the ball too long. It's as if they abandoned the short, underneath stuff when Montgomery went out with his injury.

Our defense ran the same 3 blitz/stunt combos at least 30 times. The 2 TE set ...neutralized Capers D along with the quick underneath passing game. Capers just let them have it. Very lucky to have pulled it out by doing so.

We need the rest. Let's see if we can keep rolling after the break.

A win is a win, even if it's ugly.

Everyone on this team owes Starks a gift. He basically won this game for GB.. Well except Janis, whose gift was a great block downfield on the TD run....

Like Mark has said, the last 2 games have given then rest of the NFL a blueprint to go after GB. Question is will GB also adjust before someone finally cracks the armor?

Tough game, and one in past years that probably would have been a loss. Watch teh tape, study it, learn from it. Heal up and get better...

p.s. Perillo was horrid. slow and lost out there.. sure he's 6'3 and 250. But he looks more like a lineman..

Back