Post Game Thread: Minnesota Defeats Green Bay 17-14

Let's face reality here.

Let's not compare this team to teams 2, 3 or 4 years ago. Let's face the harsh reality that this is not a young team anymore. Four core players, Rodgers, Nelson, Matthews and Peppers are over 30. We have a 31 year old WR coming off a major knee injury who is not close to 100%. You have a 30 year old OLB who has clearly lost a step an over the past few years who has battled various injuries. Peppers Is 36 and playing spot duty. Not to mention Lacy who does not have the same burst or quickness he showed in 2014.

And then you have a 32 year old QB who clearly is not playing at the same level he did 2-3 years ago. I'm not saying he's over the hill but he's not the same guy we come to expect

Are there scheme and / or coaching issues? Yes. But a new coach will not make this team younger, more explosive and more athletic.

I honestly feel some fans are in denial. They expect this team to be like it was in 2014 again or before. But teams age. They lose a step. We have had over 20 years of success in GB which in itself denies logic. Your not supposed to do that in this league. Yes we are spoiled. We expect 87 to run free on a deep post. We expect Lacy to run over people. We expect Matthews to have 2-3 sacks a game and be our Von Miller.

This is not an easy fix. It's not just a coach. It's lack of playmakers. It's lack of quality depth. It's lack of locker room leadership.

2014 seems to be a common refrain, but something to keep in mind: in 2014 the packers opened with two of three on the road, against good defenses in Seattle and Detroit. They scored 16 pts against Seattle, 7 against the Lions. A month later they went on the road to a crummy Saints team and got blown out of the water. Later in the year they only scored 13 on the road against a mediocre Bills team.

Now last year was not an aberration in that they consistently had troubles on offense, but I think it's a little too early to declare across the board that this team in 2016 is washed up. I think the bigger point is that they've been a rather crummy road team for many years now. Remains to be seen what home field will do for them this year.

All good points in addition to what has already been said by us collectively.

IF it was just one or two problems things could easily be fixed. The problem isn't though, its a mutiple group of problems

A couple of things. Nelson is not 100%. Maybe 80%. He is not the same player he was in 2014. He's not quick out of breaks and he could not get separation. On Adams. Next to Janis he may be the worst route runner on the team. He quits on routes. Does not countue routes in scramble drills.

For years I feel we have overvalued this group because Rodgers was playing at such a high level he made them look better.

Did you even read my post?!? I pointed out that we DON'T have the quick or sudden WRs. That's why you need to use them differently. Through the 2014 season you kept saying how we didn't have the playmakers to win, now you point to 2014 like it was a highwater mark?
Contrary to your opinion of Adams, he must be doing something right in the Packers eyes, he apparently has his QB's trust. It's his third year and, traditionally, that when most young WRs step up. He's no OBJ or even a Mike Evans, but he might be a little better than he gets, or doesn't get credit for.
It's also no revelation that an MVP QB makes his whole team look better. Disclaimer- this post is just IMO.

Here's an example giving lie to the 'no one gets open' refrain. Both Jordy and Davis are open. Rodgers sees them both. Davis is wide open on a crosser that would get the 1st and probably go for 15 more yards. Instead Aaron spins, bails and throws incomplete. This is a QB problem more than anything. I seriously question whether or not he's being coached or held accountable in meetings, and whether or not he's taking that coaching.

Reactions: TW
Not sure I agree with your thoughts on that film rp. Pocket may have been collapsing, the crossing route may have been his first progression and wasn't immediately open and I'm not sure where Jordy is open. Also, I don't think that anyone literally believes that the WRs never get open, it's that they don't consistently. I agree that AR is not the same and shares a big part of the mess.

Not sure I agree with your thoughts on that film rp. Pocket may have been collapsing, the crousing route may have been his first progression and wasn't immediately open and I'm not sure where Jordy is open.

If Davis isn't open then I don't know what open is. He's speeding across the field and Kendricks is flat footed. Aaron used to make that throw in his sleep, just have to fire your gun quickly. Instead he hesitates. Jordy I believe is bottom of he screen. If AR throws that on time he's open right at the sticks.

If Davis isn't open then I don't know what open is. He's speeding across the field and Kendricks is flat footed. Aaron used to make that throw in his sleep, just have to fire your gun quickly. Instead he hesitates. Jordy I believe is bottom of he screen. If AR throws that on time he's open right at the sticks.

I gotcha. Looking at it on my phone and it wasn't showing the whole screen. I couldn't see Jordy. I wonder what the progression was like. Who was the first, second, third read on that one. Almost looks like the crosser was the first read which he gave up on and then looked towards Cobb(Cook) out of backfield? By the time he got to Jordy, he wasn't open anymore?

There were several options from what I saw, and they came before he had to scramble. Regardless of where he was looking downfield, he had to see guys move out of the corner of his eye. In the past, he would have connected with one of them on either the cross or come back.

I've said it before. Confidence. A guy can lose confidence and hesitates for just a fraction of a second, and he loses his edge. As far as overthrows, which we saw several, the fear of making that throw that ends up an INT can be obsessive if the circumstances are just right.

Lots of little psychological things can eat a QB up.

There were several options from what I saw, and they came before he had to scramble. Regardless of where he was looking downfield, he had to see guys move out of the corner of his eye. In the past, he would have connected with one of them on either the cross or come back.

I've said it before. Confidence. A guy can lose confidence and hesitates for just a fraction of a second, and he loses his edge. As far as overthrows, which we saw several, the fear of making that throw that ends up an INT can be obsessive if the circumstances are just right.

Lots of little psychological things can eat a QB up.

While I agree there are multiple issues with this offense I think this is the crux of what is ailing the offense. AR just seems overly nervous/cautions. Nice post TW

Reactions: TW
Back