Post Game Thread: Minnesota Defeats Green Bay 17-14

what the heck happened to AR getting rid of the ball quick in the face of the blitz? They'd recognize it, do a good job of adjusting the protection, and then not run a play designed to take advantage of the defense.

I remember when they had a clock going when Rodgers practiced...having to get the ball out in ? seconds. It's so obvious that the offense needs time to get their act together. Mind you I did not see the whole game, but from what I saw in the 1st half they sure did not utilize Cook all that much. OL was not making wholes for the RB's either.

They have a home game, a bye, and then more home games. They'll probably (hopefully) have a winning record after that and all the brass in Green Bay will say all is well. That's my prediction....because, well, why not?! guru(

Thing I dislike is using cobb so much in the backfield. Should have never cut Pressley. Using Cobb as a RB just is getting him hit more then necessary. That's all the Packers would need would for him to get hurt carrying the ball because MM is too pig headed to use 3 RB's. Though I have no idea what's up with MM right now barley using lacy. He got what 12 carries last night? Lacy is the type of back you need to feed it to him 20 times a game.

Thing I dislike is using cobb so much in the backfield. Should have never cut Pressley. Using Cobb as a RB just is getting him hit more then necessary. That's all the Packers would need would for him to get hurt carrying the ball because MM is too pig headed to use 3 RB's. Though I have no idea what's up with MM right now barley using lacy. He got what 12 carries last night? Lacy is the type of back you need to feed it to him 20 times a game.

Lacy is not the same back as he was in 2014. It's noticeable

Lacy is not the same back as he was in 2014. It's noticeable

Totally agree. When we first got him he was a clear difference making RB. The line didn't open up many holes then either, but he would consistently break tackles. I remember remarking how it was nice to finally have a great HB. Those days are sadly gone.

I'd like to take one step back and look at the whole picture. Touching on some points others have made:
1- Punter- it seemed that we had him directing kicks to the sidelines. Like we were afraid of Sherels. That is not a good sign. The Vikes had ZERO yards in punt returns. Was that the plan? Don't know.
2- OL wasn't great, but seemed to give enough time for ARod to throw. Like Crease said- no underneath crossing routes, WTF? Lacy was never a game breaker, but he was over 4 yards a carry, only got 12 carries. Why did we hand the ball off to our smaller RB on 4th down? That's totally on MM. (We're on the road and should have tied the game with a FG in the 3rd quarter)
3- IMO our defense played quite well with the exception of Randall. In the first half they had almost 60 yards passing that came on 3rd and long, Three completed passes and still had to punt afterwards.
They absolutely shut down Peterson and that had to be the first objective. The defense, even with Randall's crap game, played well enough on the road to win.
4- Our problems are 90% on the offensive side of the ball. MM's forte? No rhythm, no tempo. ARod's interception was a poorly thrown ball, he looked lost. IMO he is trying to be superman and make the big or perfect play and it's NOT working. He needs to STOP checking out of everything. You take your game plan and execute it, you impose your will on the defense! For the last year now we are reacting to the defense instead of dictating the flow/tempo.

When MM was hired he got a lot of credit for reigning in Favre and getting him to start playing within the confines of the offensive game plan. It's time to reign in this QB too. Stop trying to prove you're smarter than everyone else and start running the offense. Timing routes, three step drops, attack MIDDLE of the field.

That all being said, the sky is not falling. Easy to take pot shots at the team right now, but we are 1-1 on the road. Maybe some home field cooking is what we need right now. Lost a close game at the division champs (but seriously-they're not that impressive either).
Yes, we're older. But there is still enough talent to win in this league. This is all up to MM. You can blame TT if you want, but the team is what it is right now. No new acquisitions are coming in this year. This is MM, he has to swallow his Pittsburgh Macho and do some adjusting and coaching. One tip MM- On the road kick the damn FG and tie the game in the 3rd quarter- that was all on you.

Dubz, I liked your post and agreed with all of it with one exception...Ted Thompson gets no free ride from me.

Absolutely refuses to go out and fill positions of need, except via the draft. He didn't even fill ILB until the 4th round, despite it being one of the greatest areas of need. Look what he 'got' for MM to work with at Safety for how many years?

He lets Sitton, our best lineman, go over money. Says he's afraid he'd be a cancer??? Then let him play out his contract and get a good compensation pick for him, since draft picks are gold to him. But he keeps 36 year old Peppers, despite counting, what?...$9 mill or so?...as a part-time player???

Wouldn't trade a precious 3rd or 4th rounder for Marshawn Lynch, probably the strongest, toughest runner in modern times?, etc., etc.

No sir. I would love to see a more modern approach where all avenues are explored for players acquisitions. John Elway does it right, imo.

Everything else you said...dead on, sir! hof(

Dubz, I liked your post and agreed with all of it with one exception...Ted Thompson gets no free ride from me.

Absolutely refuses to go out and fill positions of need, except via the draft. He didn't even fill ILB until the 4th round, despite it being one of the greatest areas of need. Look what he 'got' for MM to work with at Safety for how many years?

He lets Sitton, our best lineman, go over money. Says he's afraid he'd be a cancer??? Then let him play out his contract and get a good compensation pick for him, since draft picks are gold to him. But he keeps 36 year old Peppers, despite counting, what?...$9 mill or so?...as a part-time player???

Wouldn't trade a precious 3rd or 4th rounder for Marshawn Lynch, probably the strongest, toughest runner in modern times?, etc., etc.

No sir. I would love to see a more modern approach where all avenues are explored for players acquisitions. John Elway does it right, imo.

Everything else you said...dead on, sir! hof(
I didn't say TT gets a free ride. I said there aren't any new acquisition coming this year. The team is pretty much set for this year.
You make points about Sitton and Lynch, but.....
I believe Mark pointed out that the Sitton final decision came down to MM? Front office made mistakes, backed themselves into a corner, but MM's decision at the end.
Lynch deal was actually set and needed to be finalized, Even Lynch thought he was on his way to Green Bay until Seattle made a last minute offer and swiped him. (I remember that because I had it all wrong and someone straightened me out on it. I don't know if Buffalo gave TT another chance to up his offer or not, but I doubt TT would offer more when he thought he had a deal already).
I agree that TT ignores big name free agents and shops at the dollar store. But that is TT and he ain't gonna change. I do give him props for drafting in the mid 20+ and that we are still competing every year, but making a bold move for a playmaker would energize the whole franchise. (ie. Adams and Hyde for Josh Gordon?!?)

I think the scheme sucks based on the 14 to 18 game trend, but Rodgers sucked worse last night.
And I wonder if the crappy execution blinds the offensive staff to how bad the scheme is.
Blame the wrs for not executing and not getting open and beating their one on one's.
Blame Rodgers for sucking and missing throws.

Blame lacy for being fat, and losing 5 yards on a toss play. It's easy to say lacy didn't get up field quick enough, the oline didn't hold their blocks long enough, lacy is too fat and needs to get in shape. But what about looking at the playbook and saying...... What a stupid play call, run lacy between the tackles behind a fullback.

It's easy to blame the execution, but what if the scheme is requiring too much. Rodgers has to be GOAT to make it work, lacy needs to be AP to succeed on those toss plays, the wrs need to be some kind of Megatron or Odell Beckham in order to get open.

Maybe Edgar and Clements are nothing more than Yes men, as someone mentioned rather than Philbin or someone from before that could tell MM when he's dug himself too deep into the scheme he can't see its faults.

If the problem exists beyond the bye, they need a serious revaluation. It's not just preseason rustiness. It's a 1. 5 year trend. I think MM is blinded by poor execution too look up and see a flawed scheme.

Biggest glaring issue to me, after two games, is the baffling inability for our receivers to create any separation from their defenders. Nelson being back has not fixed that at all. I've always been a McCarthy supporter, but he seriously needs to put a ton of new wrinkles into his playbook, because this is getting massively redundant.

The pass rush and run defense looks real good so far - no complaints there. But Randall got burned at the stake last night. Not good.

Back