Post Game Thread: Minnesota Defeats Green Bay 17-14

In addition to what has been said, a few other thoughts:

1) As Mark brought up, AR might have been playing with a partial concussion after hard hit of his head off turf. Can't think of any other explanation for his poor play and bad decisions in 4th quarter with his throws off.

2) AR has high praise on Abby for his route running and etc, yet Abby never saw the field????? AR talked of lack of separation by WRs in post game so would seem Abby would have been made for this game.

3) Tired of MM thinking he's the smartest guy in the room because he's not. He's not Bellichick! In fact anytime he's faced a second generation coach he's usually schooled. He seems to stick with his player favorites instead of best players.....Taylor isn't Sitton, Adams isn't Abby, and this new punter makes Masthay look like Ray Guy, and so on.

Furthermore, bad decision making (see 4th and failed instead of FG), lack of half time adjustments, and too predictable, along with abandoning the run never letting his RB get in rythm. He talks accountability and changes to be made, yet we don't see the improvements for 3 years now and he doesn't take blame.

IMO he is the one who should have been gone after the Az and Sea play off losses.

In addition to what King and Pack said, Thompson shares plenty of blame alsonfor current team.

Think- How many picks spent on front 7 without finding Pro Bowl/impact type players? Double whammy by wasting a bunch of picks on players not bring impact and taking picks away from other positions of need....like TE, Go-To WR, ILB for example.

Also lack of use of free agency. Dix is a nice player, but that year was a bunch of Safety free agents and could have used that pick at another position. Or shore up a hole in the front 7 over the years instead of wasting picks and address another need area. No GM is perfect at drafting every position and Thompson's Achilles seems to be front 7, so why not use free agency?

The team starts and ends with Thompson so find this most disturbing of all....he called Sutton one of his best picks ever and great on field player, so why did he let McCarthy cut him? When Lang went out our top back up was Barclay and Rodgers got hit. A team doesn't improve by cutting your best OL and getting nothing for him.

This is still a good team but it's not playing to its talent level and has taken some hits to overall talent due to Free Agent losses, Injuries, age, and cuts. Don't see this team in its current state as a great team anymore and with average coaching and bad decisions by coaching, can't over achieve either and seeing quite the opposite this year.

I'm not ready to give up on them but the trend is not good. According to JS, this is now 14 games in a row that AR's passer rating is below 100. Seems unfathomable for a guy who's career average is over 100. He's not the same, but at the same time, the team is not the same.

They are putting all their eggs in the Davante Adams basket and I really don't understand why other than . . . they simply have not drafted any enough outside WRs other than him. All they have is a bunch of "slowish" slot guys on the team - Cobb, Abby, Monty, at least in terms of guys who can play. Janis appears to be Cordarelle Patterson v2.0 - basically a return guy who just can't learn the nuances of playing WR as a starter. You see how the Vikes use Patterson, a first round pick who just can't play WR effectively despite all the physical tools. Looks a lot like Janis in many ways.

I really can't pick on the front 7. They kept the running game in check and provided consistent pressure last night. They were much better than I thought they would be even after Guion left with an injury.

Lacy is what he is. Maybe a step slower, but he's never been very explosive so maybe it's me, but I just don't see that much difference. The OL is good. The DBs were without their veteran leader last night and it showed. The young guys were not ready. (Why again did we cut a guy last week and did not add anyone back to the roster?? Not that it would have mattered last night.)

Since I picked Minnesota to win, I can say; "I told you so!" I wish that wasn't the case.

I've been concerned since last week, when I watched the Packers barely beat one of the worst teams in the NFL. They didn't have it last week, and with McCarthy coaching, I figured it wouldn't improve this week. The same lame play calling, schemes. The same lack of pass coverage. The same missed tackles.

It seems like it takes a loss for McCarthy to see the light. Let's hope he does, and the Packers come back with a vengeance next week. If they don't, this season could spiral out of control.

57, great points. Keep posting, you offer some great insights. That's a really sobering stat about passer rating by AR.

I didn't see the game so this is all meta analysis.. Take it with a huge grain of salt on your margarita glass....

1) The same issues mentioned here are ones we've seen for several seasons in a row. So yes this is only week 2. But in the big picture it's a continuation of the past.

2) MM is either not a good game planner or has lost his touch. He uses "personel packages" to try to create mis matches or so he says. Well guess what, you don't have the players to do that anymore. And that's been obvious for over a season. MM needs to game plan for the team he has not the team he wants. So MM either changes the way he game plans and starts trying to create separation etc.. through play calls, misdirection, and routes, or he needs to go.

3) Arod - every season the mantra seems to be Arod will save us. And it seems the coaching staff buys into this too. Hike the ball to Arod, hope a receiver gets open, and if not Arod will extend the play and save us. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. What I see is an older QB who has been asked to cover for his coaches poor game planning and a lack of talent. He's trying to do too much because he pretty much has to. He has to be superman every week or the offense tanks. It's not fair to him. Yes he gets paid the most, and he's the team leader. But he can't do it alone.

4) TT - the roster lacks talent simple as that.

The offense is a mess, guys. I can't say who shares the bigger blame, MM or AR, but it's soooo obvious that the scheme plays a part and AR checking in and out of plays also takes a part.

The last drive where we had the ball, let's go back to that.

Now, on TV you can't see the downfield routes and combos, but you can see that there is -nothing- being run underneath, and the only short route is the TE or RB squirting out after providing pass pro.

You're in a '4 min offense' mode, and the only thing being run is stuff down the field, 5-7 step drops, and of course no one is open because the offense is soley predicated on the WR beating his coverage. There are no route combos designed to get a guy open, or crossing routes, and there was only the one dig route that Adams ran, and that guy is not who I would count on to be a productive WR, he just doesn't have 'it'. He's been given a bunch of opportunities though.

And what the heck happened to AR getting rid of the ball quick in the face of the blitz? They'd recognize it, do a good job of adjusting the protection, and then not run a play designed to take advantage of the defense.

And it's my opinion that Matthews production isn't worth his cap hit. He's not the guy he used to be. I feel his most effective season in the last 4 was his season playing inside. He'd be a good ILB, he just doesn't have what it takes to be the guy on the outside of this defense every down anymore.

Rodgers has a 57.1 completion percentage through two games, the lowest of his career since he's become a starter. The Packers were tied for last in the NFC last season with 5.7 yards per pass attempt, and they're at 5.0 now.

Vikings sacked Rodgers 5-33 yards... 11 more hurries and 4 knock downs, add in 23 rushing attempts for 83 yrds or 3.6 per carry. The OL is NOT ...good .. ok or otherwise. When facing a decent front they struggle just like last year. Until they overcome that color me skeptical.

Front 7 played a heck of a game I thought. Perry, Daniels, Jones and Thomas were really stout. Don't know if it was planned this way but I HATED the soft releases our DBs kept giving them. Exactly the same as first Cardinals game last year. You give quick WR free releases into soft coverage you're going to get your ass kicked.

I think Packinatl hit the nail on the head, the offensive core has collectively lost a step. Rodgers, Nelson, Lacy. They can't do athletically what they've done in the past. Now, does that mean they're done? Maybe not. I think it means they can't produce the same way they used to, not that they can't produce at all. I truly believe there are enough pieces on offense here to move the ball and score points, but MM needs to utilize his players and AR needs to play under control. I'm telling you, AR is really starting to look like Favre under Sherman and MM is going to suffer the same fate. There's no damn reason to have a banged up Jordy/Cobb/Adams out there for 70+% of snaps when you have fresh legs at WR on the bench. What in the world did Montgomery do to get in the doghouse? Adams not getting open and running lazy routes, but you have three guys with much better short area quickness standing on the sideline? Cobb taking a pounding out of the backfield but you have Montogomery doing nothing but ST? Just stubborn by MM.

Finally a bit of perspective - we had back to back road games to open a season for the first time in 50 years or more. Went 1-1, lost a close winnable game to a good team opening a new stadium on an emotional night. I think a 1-1 start was predicted by almost everyone. Don't underestimate the power of home field. 4 in a row coming up at Lambeau, let's see how this shakes out.

If McCarthy didn't see the light after the Seattle debacle, he never will. Guy makes Stevie Wonder look like 20/20. :cool:

Ted and McMeathead need to go or this team is gonna look like the 70's real quick. That's the knowing look I'm seeing in Aaron's eyes.

Back