Post Game Thread: GB Defeats Pittsburgh

Something of note: both Packer INTs came with Williams and Jackson, respectively, playing off-coverage. Been talked about all off-season how playing off is the strength for both of these guys, letting them see the QB and then making plays on the ball.

Coaches are not going to let one play each determine how they call the D but I'm sure they've taken notice.

We are massivly improved at CB. In a perfect world - Tramon and Jackson start, Alexander dominates the slot, House and King back them up.

Bad news - our safeties are terrible. Like awful. No clue what happened to Haha but he can't tackle nor ever be in the right position. Burnett is going to be sorely missed

Kizer makes the team - only question is if Hundley is cut or traded. He's a FA after the year - no scenario he's retained beyond 2018.

We are massivly improved at CB. In a perfect world - Tramon and Jackson start, Alexander dominates the slot, House and King back them up.

Bad news - our safeties are terrible. Like awful. No clue what happened to Haha but he can't tackle nor ever be in the right position. Burnett is going to be sorely missed

Kizer makes the team - only question is if Hundley is cut or traded. He's a FA after the year - no scenario he's retained beyond 2018.

Maybe it's time to call Eric Reid.

HHCD's option year salary is guaranteed, so GB takes a $5.9M cap hit if they cut him, but if they can trade him it comes off the books with no cap hit.

tc(

Something of note: both Packer INTs came with Williams and Jackson, respectively, playing off-coverage. Been talked about all off-season how playing off is the strength for both of these guys, letting them see the QB and then making plays on the ball.

Coaches are not going to let one play each determine how they call the D but I'm sure they've taken notice.

I think we are going to see Jackson, as well as others show a variety of looks in pass-D. But, I agree, he does seem to have a comfort zone in off coverage. He's good at route recognition and reading the QB.

Pettine believes Jackson versatile

He looked comfortable playing a variety of positions, including inside in the slot.
“He’s not a guy who is afraid to try some different techniques. He hasn’t played a lot of press, he hasn’t played a lot of inside,” Pettine said. “He’s shown us that he’s very versatile. And he’s a quick study, and we foresee him being able to play multiple positions for us.”
After some early struggles in coverage, Jackson’s arrow has been pointing up the last two weeks of camp.

???

two carries for two yards. how is that ok? monty averaged 2.5 times as many yards per carry (which isn't saying much). monty also did a better job as a receiver (again - not saying much). to me williams isn't a running back either by your standards. how about we just say that none of our running backs looked good last night and leave it at that?

You are correct, based on yesterday. I guess I was letting the body of work influence me. Monty is more elusive but doesn't seem to be able to get much in the way of unblocked yards. Williams is decisive and hits the hole for positive yardage. It also seems to me that Williams is the better blocker. I'm a sucker for guys that are decisive and run hard. We'll see how it plays out, but yes, yesterday the run game was just plain poor and both RBs and OL are to blame.

Right now all the backup QBs look just okay . Hundley has looked a lil better then Kizer and while some would argue that's due to being in the system longer it should also be factored in that he's doing it against better personnel from the opposition. (honestly I think both still would kinda suck if thrown into a regular season game) They're probably going to keep both though just in response to last year. Boyle needs to stay but they won't pull that off.

Ha Ha looks to be pressing with his looming FA status in his head and playing in a new system. Not giving up on him. Needs to turn it around though. Part of it could be the added responsibility of calling out coverage's

If Gilbert can be a contributor it helps out pass rushing rotation a ton.

Still waiting to see this "weapon" in Scott

Burks looked good but still just one game

Ha Ha looks to be pressing with his looming FA status in his head and playing in a new system. Not giving up on him. Needs to turn it around though. Part of it could be the added responsibility of calling out coverage's

He's been bad and worse yet, just chock full of excuses. Gute needs to put a call in to Eric Reid and see where his head is at, and also talk to his old buddy John Schneider about what it would take to get Earl Thomas over here. If he can do it for less than a first, pull the trigger.

ET would look nice here for sure. Idk what he wants contractwise but haha isnt close to him. Imo ET made that secondary.

In a perfect world we'd have our best DB from last season next to Jackson with Williams in as support and depth... but I digress...

Ya S is a huge issue.. I totally agree that Burnett will be missed.

He's been bad and worse yet, just chock full of excuses. Gute needs to put a call in to Eric Reid and see where his head is at, and also talk to his old buddy John Schneider about what it would take to get Earl Thomas over here. If he can do it for less than a first, pull the trigger.

Thomas wants two things either Seattle to pay him or be traded to Dallas were he gets paid there.

Back