Post Game Thread: GB Defeats Pittsburgh

Agree with most of what's been said above.

On defense:
- Jackson continued to play solid. In general the first 4-5 CBs all played well enough. After that things were more mixed. Waters might have been the best of the group after the first 5.
- At LB Burks made some plays, Martinez was OK, and Gilbert played pretty well but after that nobody did much of anything. Fackrell and Biegel are both just bodies. They have a hard time holding the point and both are at their best chasing things down when the play is moving away from them. Teams will see you can dominate them if you take them on head-on.
- The DL was a mixed bag. Adams still isn't really doing much even though he's healthy. The rest were just OK and there still wasn't much push up the middle except for a few plays. Overall, QB pressure still isn't there.
- Safties in general are a weakness. Rollins might well make it as the last safety in part due to his play on special teams - he might be their best returner despite a lack of speed.

On offense, there was a lot to like but still a few concerns:
- The OL is just not good after the starters. Wow, Murphy and Spriggs are just a couple of turnstiles. Gutey better be looking at cuts to see if there is something better out there. That's really the downside on offense - this line may well get AR injured again and then the season goes downhill.
- At QB, both Hundley and Kizer did some things but I wasn't really all that encouraged by their performances other than Kizer looking a little sharper than last week. Neither one is decisive nor doe either have a particularly good arm. Boyle has better raw throwing skills than either of them, but didn't impress much with the receiving group and OL he had.
- At TE, they look set. They have 2 really solid guys in Graham and Lewis. Kendricks is OK as the #3, but might get beat out by Tonyan, who continues to impress.
- Was hard to judge the RBs. Monty just isn't a RB, Williams continues to be OK, Bouagnan looks serviceable and should be added to the PS. Jones and Mays are the guys you'd like to see but they aren't available.
- At WR Adams is clearly the #1. Cobb will make the team on his history. Allison is just a guy who should be replaced, but right now might be #3/4. Kumerow has to make this team or Gutey and MM will have a lot of questions to answer. After that, MVS and ESB look "OK" at times, but Moore continues to struggle and might just be better off not doing anything more in preseason so they can stash him on the PS and see if they can cure his lack of hands.

Neither Jamaal Williams (ankle) and Justin McCray (calf) could say definitively whether they would've been able to return if it were a regular-season game but neither was concerned that the injuries would be long-term issues.

The major stain on the evening for the D was that 3rd drive of Pitt, when they went 75 yards in three running plays. I thought it'd be interesting to take some freeze frames to see just what the heck happened in the front 7. The first run went for 8 yards, but the next two went for 20+ each, plus a facemask penalty on Lowry.

Here's the first 20+ yard run. Pitt just has a man on a man and they whoop our butts. Look at that wall, the RB probably doesn't even see green. Two guys have a chance to make a play here if they can get off a block: Lowry - who got the facemask penalty - and Burks. I put a blue arrow on Burks. See the problem here? He attacks the line but there is a very large man just engulfing him. You can't have a scheme that calls for Oren Burks to take on interior OL single handed, it's just dumb.

8adEuT.jpg

Here's the second run that went for a TD. First frame there seems to be at least the possibility of creating some trash up the middle to slow down the back, but you already see Pitt has a OL breaking free to take on the ILB after chipping Kenny Clark who was charging hard here. But look at Wilkerson! Already turned and off balance. And whereas Burks hit the line hard the previous play, Blake is just kinda flat footed and waiting.

8adTmz.jpg

But here you see the result of the delay - swallowed up and helpless. In a second the guard comes out two yards to meet him but Blake hasn't moved off his spot. Pitt even has a double team on Brice, and Tramon was never really in position to make that play. Game over. P.S., yes that is our $12m star OLB getting rag-dolled by a TE at the bottom right there. Move along.

8ad68b.jpg

It looked like really nice execution by the Pitt OL but it's pointless for a D to play this alignment, isn't it? These were our preferred starters, basically. There is no talent help coming to fix it. This looks like the exact same crap we saw from Capers for the past 7 years.

Great game. Aside from Tramon's pick 6 on the 1st play, the defense looked cr@**^ initially. Missed tackles all over the place....HaHa, I'm talking to you.
They seemed to settle down a little later and Gilbert was on fire. MM said he was kicking himself for not bringing him up last year. Duh! I'll help you out with a few of those kicks. Jackson appears to be ready, with his pick 6 as well.

I gotta say, when Aaron began to play I must have been extremely nervous, because I kept yelling, "No, don't run. Watch out". nailbite) :D:D

He made some terrific throws to Adams and Graham. They looked ready to go.

Looks like Kumerow definitely has a spot on the roster. I'm beginning to think Alison may not have a spot, or Davis, almost a certainty. I didn't see the whole game but from what I saw, Alison didn't have any catches.

Williams continues to be OK

???

two carries for two yards. how is that ok? monty averaged 2.5 times as many yards per carry (which isn't saying much). monty also did a better job as a receiver (again - not saying much). to me williams isn't a running back either by your standards. how about we just say that none of our running backs looked good last night and leave it at that?

Remember we had not very good QBs playing after Rodgers the QBs are not very good passers. Also I am not jumping on the Boyle bandwagon yet. Every year people tend to jump on the UDFA bandwagon early for the Packers. I remember people acting like Joe Callahan was going to be a great QB

???

two carries for two yards. how is that ok? monty averaged 2.5 times as many yards per carry (which isn't saying much). monty also did a better job as a receiver (again - not saying much). to me williams isn't a running back either by your standards. how about we just say that none of our running backs looked good last night and leave it at that?

Last night RB's played behind a crappy OL that could not open a hole if you gave them a mack truck to use. Only RB that got a chance with the ones was Monty and he's worthless as a RB and should be cut.

???

We have a RB problem, and an OL problem. The OL has been unable to block for spit so far, and MM doesn't even seem to be having them practice it. None of our RBs have stood out either, though I will say Ty is awful at pass blocking and is a complete liability there. How do you even put him out there on 3rd down? At least Williams can do that.

We have a RB problem, and an OL problem. The OL has been unable to block for spit so far, and MM doesn't even seem to be having them practice it. None of our RBs have stood out either, though I will say Ty is awful at pass blocking and is a complete liability there. How do you even put him out there on 3rd down? At least Williams can do that.

I guess they haven’t spent much time emphasizing the run in practice. So it seems a crappy looking running game is by design! rant)

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ss-pass-pass-for-the-packers-in-ota-practices

Back