Post Game Thread: GB Defeats Pittsburgh

so I know a lot of us were down on the defense early in this game. but imagine how down steelers fans must be on their defense after we laid a 50-burger on them. I mean, it didn't matter who our qb was. we scored points. yeah we gave up 28. but 14 of those came during a one minute stretch when we clearly sucked eggs. i'm not feeling all that bad about our defense right now. we still have two more games that don't matter. and we really have not been playing all of our starters or using our real defense. so i'm still optimistic about the season.

Last edited:
I hope i'm not reading too much into this but the fact that MM put Hundley in second scares me..

Kizer won't be cut because Gutey won't let his first "big" trade go down in flames like that. Looks like MM still has eyes for Hundley even though he hasn't developed.

Sounds like Kumerow had another big night. Should make him a lock at this point. But we all know it ain't over till the cuts come out.

Also sounds like Gilbert put a lock on a position. But again you never know with MM.

Boyle isn't ready to start this year if Arod goes down. But as Mark said he has all the tools you need to work with for a pro QB. In a few years behind Arod who knows. he won't make it to the PS though. And the fact MM put him in last with the scrubs tells me he isn't trying to let Boyle really show what he can do.

Sounds like Kumerow had another big night. Should make him a lock at this point. But we all know it ain't over till the cuts come out.

okay, let's talk wide receivers. not a very good show put on tonight by anyone not named kumerow.

these guys didn't catch anything:
J.Moore 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
K.Rader 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
D.Yancey 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
R.Cobb 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
G.Allison 1 0 0 0.0 0 0

and this guy had five targets and only caught one:
E.St. Brown 5 1 12 12.0 12 0

kumerow was targeted three times, caught all three of them, had 114 yards, and scored a td. the next closest receiver was tonyan with three catches for 20 yards. seriously, if kumerow isn't on the final 53 there is something really wrong with the decision-making on this team.

He made the team. The guy can play. He gets open and looked good after the catch. As far as the numbers go ESB and MVS should be on this team. Moore is the one who looks like a deer in headlights and cant catch. (hated we drafted him, wasn't a fan at all) I know Rodgers speaks high of Allison but he is a jag. work the hell out of these young guys the last 2 games and let them earn their spots.

I really liked what the TEs did tonight. They dominated on all levels. I was impressed there

OL wasn't good imo. I get the steelers were blitzing a lot and we didn't game plan but I thought they got pushed around a lot. There was not positive movement and the qbs didn't have a ton of time. Spriggs is trash. The guys just doesn't have it. I hope a vet gets cut and we can add depth.

On D there were some bright spots. Burks flashed his ability again. He will make a mistake at times but I cant remember the last time we had an inside guy that can fly around like that. Marty is above average rofl( Nice play from some of the cbs.
Gilbert locked down the 3rd spot imo. Beigle is a try hard guy that lovable but hes nothing special.

HaHa still sucks. I really cant stand his play. He has avoided contact for awhile now and he was playing the back line of the ez on the early td. He just seems to rather want to show up late or not be in on plays. just not a fan. Brice is fine if healthy but Josh Jones cant seem to figure the game out. Im more worried about the safeties than any other area on D.

not a bad night. no huge injuries. on to the next one

Thanks to the magic of HuluTV I was able to go back and watch the whole game... And here's the update:

good stuff:
Burks, Gilbert, Kumerow, TE's as a whole, DBs did pretty well after getting slashed the first Q.

bad stuff:
OL, CMIII looked awful (old and slow), DL wasn't all that great, RBs non existent, Monty (can't run, can't block, bad return guy), Any WR not named Kumerow

Speaking of Monty, that's exactly why Hundley will be on this team. Monty doesn't fit, he isn't a RB, not a WR, can't block and isn't good on returns. Yet he's here because MM likes him. That's why Boyle is gone, and maybe even Kumerow. MM latches onto certain players and even though they stink he keeps them around. Hundley is a golden boy for some reason.

Prove me wrong MM!!! Make me look like a total super jerk dingle schplatt and get rid of Hundley. I would love to eat crow here.....

Speaking of Hundley, one play in the first Q pretty much sums it up for me. Hundley tries to throw downfield to Graham. It's a weak, looping throw that isn't gonna make it to the intended target. Graham somehow turns around and turns it into a PI call. Drive continues. LOL Showed Graham's athleticism though.

Backup tackle, both on the left and right side is my biggest roster concern right now, but especially at left tackle.

If Bakhtiari suffered a serious injury, who would replace him? Murphy is to lead footed to handle LT, but Spriggs hasn't looked any good since the day he was drafted. Who else is there though?

I find it difficult to come away with too much that's positive from this game. Maybe improvement in techniques, and coaches a bit ticked off because now, if they cut a few guys, they're going to look bad in the eyes of the fans. It happens quite often with the Packers. s guy comes into camp, impresses for two preseason games, then is shuffled down the line anyway in favor of a guy who is a fair haired boy.

I get it. Draft picks are valuable. But it don't matter. What matters is the ability of the player when he's on the field, in game situations. First round picks can be busts, and free agents can be stars when the lights are on and the official blows the whistle. Practice heroes are nothing more than something to ooohhhh and ahhhhh over, since they can't take that under the lights.

I can't throw that early game defense out of my mind. It was pretty bad. I certainly hope the Packer brain trust is as concerned about the potential depth and rotation of players they have available at this point. Even with the emergence of Gilbert, and the talk about "how good" our down linemen are, I'm not as convinced as some people are that this defense is ready to play strong enough to turn the corner and be top 10. It just doesn't seem to be there at this point.

Im not that down on the d. They made splash plays.... Something we havent had in a long time. The young corners will only trend up. Not worried about the dl at all. They didnt play great last night but i dont think they were asked to do much. Clay and pass rusher depth and health is a worry no doubt but this d will be ok.

Man the titans and steeler fans should be worried if we are ha. I take it as a grain of salt. We will get more next week. Nobody wins a sb in august.

Off topic but pitt will have a nice trio of wrs. Washington really looked like he belonged last night. That kid made plays now in both ps games. They have weapons on O for sure

Will have more thoughts on O and D later, but holy cow JK Scott was kind of a disaster last night. We have an open roster spot, maybe time to bring in a second punter?

Back